• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

KrV8Kac.png

Trophies > Achievements

I disagree, back in 2005 Achievements were a cleaver way to add a bit more challenge, replayability, and also inspired you to explore off the beaten path. It was new and original and was built into the operating system. Trophies followed a few years later as an after though, a crappy "me too" type of add on. Also splitting trophies into Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum makes it more of a chore.

Achievements were fun, quick little things, where you could pop open a menu and quickly look at it, and then a totally overall score was there as well.

Trophies were also not supported in all games until way later too and the awful having to sync your trophies everytime was insane. I can't remember if that was changed in the PS4 or not as I haven't even turned mine on in years at this point.

I will say, the Platinum trophy is far better than just saying "I got all the achievements". That is one thing I'll give trophies, but achievements were the original, they were instantaneous and quick and fun and didn't have to sync. Trophies were an afterthought (Even after having an extra year to catch up to the 360) and reeked of a "Oh, our competitors did something cool, let's rip it off"

Ok. Help me spend 20 bucks on steam.

No Mans Sky

OR

REZ

Listen. I know REZ is the right answer here but feel free to try and push me towards NMS.

imBask

Banned
"He's like a comedian online and he and his wife decided to get married at a Taco Bell chapel because they both thought it was funny"

that was hard

No Mans Sky

OR

REZ

Listen. I know REZ is the right answer here but feel free to try and push me towards NMS.

NMS.

REZ is alright but real talk its like 9 levels long. Its extremely linear and while the music is good, on PC its worse because your controller doesnt vibrate to the beat. Unless you reaaaallly like score attack, get NMS

daveo42

Banned
"He's like a comedian online and he and his wife decided to get married at a Taco Bell chapel because they both thought it was funny"

that was hard

But they legitimately wanted to get married in a Taco Bell. Nothing ironic about their love to get married there. And you have to include the fact that Dan would be 100% fine with eating Taco Bell every day for the rest of his life. Plus, the Taco Bell wedding is the tip of the ice berg.

I disagree, back in 2005 Achievements were a cleaver way to add a bit more challenge, replayability, and also inspired you to explore off the beaten path. It was new and original and was built into the operating system. Trophies followed a few years later as an after though, a crappy "me too" type of add on. Also splitting trophies into Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum makes it more of a chore.

Achievements were fun, quick little things, where you could pop open a menu and quickly look at it, and then a totally overall score was there as well.

Trophies were also not supported in all games until way later too and the awful having to sync your trophies everytime was insane. I can't remember if that was changed in the PS4 or not as I haven't even turned mine on in years at this point.

I will say, the Platinum trophy is far better than just saying "I got all the achievements". That is one thing I'll give trophies, but achievements were the original, they were instantaneous and quick and fun and didn't have to sync. Trophies were an afterthought (Even after having an extra year to catch up to the 360) and reeked of a "Oh, our competitors did something cool, let's rip it off"

The sync thing is no longer an issue, but yes that was bad on PS3. But as you said the Platinum is the big difference, and as a personal preference the different types of trophies feel more meaningful then hundreds of points.

derFeef

Rez is 20 bucks? Wow that's way too much. I mean Rez is really good, but no. I bought NMS for 20 and looking forward to playing that.

No Mans Sky

OR

REZ

REZ is a short Rail Shooter with 5 levels. It's around an hour and a half to finish. The Area X part is another level that is much more impressive, but only 15 mins long and makes you angry that they just remade the old game and then added one new thing that is much better than the entire real game. If you are even remotely concerned about $20. No Mans Sky will give you much much much much more bang for your buck. REZ infinite is only worth it if you have VR. (Yeah, in VR its pretty rad)

pizzacat

Banned

No Mans Sky

OR

REZ

I can't go against el jefe and his love for Rez

Also with that Reddit post, the person playing might not be too into arena shooters but the 2 people who are in the cast at west didn't even care enough to start a ql for lawbreakers and that says more than enough esp with a lackluster beta that had no changes because nobody played it enough

- J - D -

$20 is still 1/3 of original retail for NMS and I don't feel like rewarding those shysters even that much.

REZ is super overrated.

Buy some beer and pizza instead.

- J - D -

Explaining Dan Ryckert to co-workers is a challenging feat, at least in relation to the Taco Bell wedding.

It's not that difficult to explain. Dan is always in character and does things to market that kooky character.

He's like the old Chinese magician in The Prestige who wasn't really an old man, just a dude really dedicated to the craft. The craft is his life.

If Dan Ryckert is like a reverse Jordan Schlansky. Hell, Dan seems exactly the type of person Conan O'Brien would love to do a segment with because like with Jordan Schlansky, he can't believe he's a real person.

Fobwashed

No Mans Sky

OR

REZ

REZ. If u do go NMS, figure out how to use Cheat Engine. Mineral farming and inventory limits just made that game a chore instead of the fun exploration simulator I thought it'd be.

Lari

I had the misfortune of being around some very very bananas Rick & Morty fans which thoroughly ruined any chance of me ever being able to stand watching it.

C'est la mort.

Top Bottom