• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Phatmac

We need a documentary about what the hell is going on with Microsoft this gen. They don't have anything besides for Forza for this year. Their product management has been terrible this gen.

We need a documentary about what the hell is going on with Microsoft this gen. They don't have anything besides for Forza for this year. Their product management has been terrible this gen.

It's like as soon as they decided all their first-party games would also come to PC, they stopped making first-party games.

Jobz7jm.jpg
Finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. A powerful and very oppressive, bleak game that only serves to get you wrapped up and lost into the mind of the character. The themes it deals with and the message it represents is poignant and is handled with the gravitas it deserves by making it the main focus of the game and it really doesn't shy away from it. Infact, it pulls no punches as it takes you deeper into Senua's state of mind that every pain and confusion she feels becomes more resonating.

It is disappointing that the puzzles, even moreso than the simple combat really bogged the pace of the game down for me. (massive Witness puzzle spoilers)
If you loved looking for dots and lines in the environment then oh boy get ready because the entire game is like that.
Ultimately, I had to youtube the puzzles and I'm glad I did because the game would have taken even longer just looking at every nook and cranny within the environment and it probably would have lost me, story wise. The combat while it didn't bother me is very simple yet it's also really satisfying thanks to how good the presentation is. You feel every hit and parry you do. The voices in your head that telegraphs to you that someone from behind is about to hit you only for you to parry them without even looking never gets old.

However, I could see many people finding a problem with that since the combat by the end felt like it overstayed its welcome but on the whole it never bothered me. I don't think it's worth 30$ because it isn't that long of a game yet, I am not sure I want it to be longer to be honest. It is a very oppressive game that does amazing things when it comes to directional sounds and really, puts you where Senua is and it feels like an attack on the senses. It's one of the best things about the game besides the well done documentary that comes with it about the game & psychosis(shame you can't rewind or fast forward. Just pause/play). It is a game that I'm very glad that I've played but one that I wouldn't really replay unless I want to show it off to someone new. It does what it sets out to do exceptionally well, it's just a shame with some of the decisions they decided on when it comes to the gameplay. It would've been better if it was a focused third person action game without the repetitive enviornmental puzzles. I forgot to mention that it has good boss battles and it looks stunning, best looking PS4 game next to Horizon: Zero Dawn. Both of which really benefit from the PS4 pro.

The presentation, sound and voice acting are all exceptionally good and it's a game that will stay with me. Good on you, Ninja Theory.

Salarians

I've put a few hours into Agents of Mayhem. It's... "okay". The combat can be a lot of fun once you can use characters that aren't the starting trio. Kingpin, Rama, and Yeti are my group right now and I like playing as all three of them. The game also looks pretty nice at times with its slight cel-shading aesthetic.

On the other hand, the missions are mostly run here, kill this, maybe hack this, and maybe drive here and/or try to ram this car off the road. And the game loves putting you into copy-pasted hallway-and-room "lair" sections. There hasn't been much of the spectacle that SR3/4 had at times. The story and writing has been mostly a miss for me. Some of the voice acting is kind of rough too. Might be the lines, might be the direction, I don't know. Braddock's voice, for example, almost feels miscast and has put me off of a character I might have otherwise liked. Seoul itself feels squandered; it has no distinct feel. I don't think I've ever even heard any of the NPCs speak. I have seen them run into traffic and get themselves killed.

This probably comes off as more negative than I intended. I rented the game and I'm enjoying it enough that I want to keep it for another night or two, but I think most people are going to bounce off of it.

this is super cool

I'm gonna guess:

1. Didn't invest heavily in first party studios and relied more on third party exclusive contracts.

2. The third party exclusive contracts they had this gen (Quantum break, Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound) didn't do as well as they thought and it probably scared management and stopped them from investing heavily in these titles.

3. The studios they created or do have are stuck on making the same games and the studios they did have making interesting things have been closed down or changed course due to management wanting to stick to what is safe and proven.

4. Due to sales not being what Microsoft imagined, they have invested less money into the Xbox division which means they need to be careful in what they invest in and that mostly means safe genres and AAA games that will sell well to the market.

5. Change in management back in 2014 probably meant changed philosophies in how the Xbox brand should be and that might involve building up the brand now in different ways (BC, GAAS, ecosystem, new first party deals) so they are ready for next generation and we are not gonna see the benefits of it until a few years down the road.

I would definitely love a tell all thing about what happened after the Xbox one Launch and how it effected the Xbox Division over time.

Meguro

Banned
Not trying to be snarky about the XBONE here but what are they gonna launch their new 500 euro console with now?
Forza 7 and? They HAVE to have something up their sleeve still.

TraBuch

Banned
You guys mean to tell me that Phil Spencer was spouting bullshit about investing in first party games? Who would've ever thought it.

I have no idea why so many people like him. Dude's a used car salesman.

J_Viper

Spencer has been a bit of a false God hasn't he

Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 3 have been the only exclusives worth a damn

Backwards compatibility
I know I'm alone on this one, but OG Xbox backward compat is my most anticipated release of the year

I loved that giant tank of a console

Not trying to be snarky about the XBONE here but what are they gonna launch their new 500 euro console with now?

The thing is like three months away, if they had something else it would have been announced by now. Honestly the fact that they didn't feel the need to release Crackdown even under that kind of pressure is a good thing in my mind. It would have been shittier for them to just put it out anyway because they had a date to hit.

Crackdown 3 looked real bad.

I am OK with a delay if it gives them some time to put in some serious work.

FOUR KAY

Catvoca

Banned
Oh, didn't know that. I never go on the site so if I miss it in thebYiuTube subscriptions (if it's even posted there), it doesn't exist to me.

May go watch them though.

Here's the links to the docs if anyone wants to watch them

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/superhypercube/58065419aec9b98a0b3bc15d?Latest_from_Waypoint=1
https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/...-threatening-illness/57509066cafad9ad27411f7a

They're pretty good so hopefully the other episodes of the Disney show have segments of the same quality.

I don't actually know if the show is the same as these videos, I'm just assuming based on the trailer.

def sim

But then why would you buy their fairly expensive new console which I'm sure they are desperate to push.

Let's be honest, Crackdown was never going to be the game to buy new hardware for. It's pretty clear their selling point for the one x is that it plays third party games the best in the console space. Whether that works out well enough for them, who knows?

Edit: 🐌 by 2 min 😓

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No one was buying an Xbox One X because of Crackdown. Being the best place to play multiplatform releases is what Microsoft has been betting on.

Then they are betting very badly.

No one is going to switch consoles mid gen just to play games they can play already.

Crackdown looks like a game I would say looks good for being just a few months into development in it's alpha stage, except it's been in development for like 4-5 years it seems. Seems like a really mismanaged project.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Crackdown 3 pushed to 2018. Womp womp

I bet Microsoft desperately wishes they could cancel that game without actual pikes and heads meeting as the end result. They may just Last Guardian it every couple of years and give a new release estimate it to keep buying themselves time.

The audio in Agents of Mayhem seems so... sterile.

Kinda everything in that game seems sterile. I'm not sure where Vinny was coming from saying it looked good and modern, that game looks like a remaster of a 2011 or 2012 game, especially in the way the open world looks. Flat lighting, not a ton of building detail, very few NPCs wandering around.

Well they cancelled scalebound and delayed crackdown 3. So uh

I have no idea what theyre trying to accomplish lol

Agents of Mayhem looks like a Saints Row expansion that never got made.

That would suggest it had entertaining set pieces or was funny. It sucks because the core hero mechanics are great but everything else feels so fucking lazy; it feels like Saints Row 3/4 but worse. I blind bought it because I love Volition and wanted to support them but I'm not going to do it again.

If it had an amazing concept but was flawed because they stretched themselves I'd be fine with it. As it stands they've just made the games that they've been making for the past 10 years but worse and I say this as somebody who'd consider SR 3/4 some of my favourite games of last gen.

Nidhogg 2's great though!

Samemind

"huh, people are really into this qlcrew thing, I wonder why

... this might be the best content browsing experience I've had ever, bar none"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I bet Microsoft desperately wishes they could cancel that game without actual pikes and heads meeting as the end result. They may just Last Guardian it every couple of years and give a new release estimate it to keep buying themselves time.

The last guardian is a good game though.

Top Bottom