• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

So you mean like every Volition games since Saints Row 3?
Pretty much.
That would suggest it had entertaining set pieces or was funny. It sucks because the core hero mechanics are great but everything else feels so fucking lazy; it feels like Saints Row 3/4 but worse. I blind bought it because I love Volition and wanted to support them but I'm not going to do it again.

If it had an amazing concept but was flawed because they stretched themselves I'd be fine with it. As it stands they've just made the games that they've been making for the past 10 years but worse and I say this as somebody who'd consider SR 3/4 some of my favourite games of last gen.

Nidhogg 2's great though!

There is a solid concept, but I feel like it was ruined because it's the same guys that did Saints Row the Third.

OvHEJPF.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
without being explicit, how was steal my sunshine this week?

There is a solid concept, but I feel like it was ruined because it's the same guys that did Saints Row the Third.

I was surprised by how good the agent switching feels. It's a really cool way to manage ability cooldowns in a game and adds a load of strategy to engagements. However, it's Saints Row combat, it's a Saints Row but worse presentation, and given how long it's been since SR4 the whole product's been massively disappointing for me.

I really hope another team attempts the different heroes are different weapons concepts because it's such a great idea.

Man, I can't stop playing Agents of Mayhem, it's so fucking basic but I'm having a blast destroying fools with these overpowered chumps. Kingpin, Daisy, and Braddock are my favorites but I don't really hate any of them. Oni is badass because of his Yakuza ties, Hollywood is your typical SoCal moron. It gets repetitive (Those fucking dungeons have no aesthetic changes) but FUCK, I'm really enjoying this...

If I can give it two major thumbs up

I enjoy the Saturday Morning Cartoon cutscenes and I have found the main boss encounters unique. EVERYTHING ELSE IS VERY REPETITIVE.

But still fun.

I'll probably upgrade my agents fully
past lvl 20.

But yeah, Madden next week and Kiwami the following week.

Lawd, August is awesome for Blitz.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was surprised by how good the agent switching feels. It's a really cool way to manage ability cooldowns in a game and adds a load of strategy to engagements. However, it's Saints Row combat, it's a Saints Row but worse presentation, and given how long it's been since SR4 the whole product's been massively disappointing for me.

I really hope another team attempts the different heroes are different weapons concepts because it's such a great idea.

Overwatch.

Man, I can't stop playing Agents of Mayhem, it's so fucking basic but I'm having a blast destroying fools with these overpowered chumps. Kingpin, Daisy, and Braddock are my favorites but I don't really hate any of them. Oni is badass because of his Yakuza ties, Hollywood is your typical SoCal moron. It gets repetitive (Those fucking dungeons have no aesthetic changes) but FUCK, I'm really enjoying this...

If I can give it two major thumbs up

I enjoy the Saturday Morning Cartoon cutscenes and I have found the main boss encounters unique. EVERYTHING ELSE IS VERY REPETITIVE.

But still fun.

I'll probably upgrade my agents fully
past lvl 20.

But yeah, Madden next week and Kiwami the following week.

Lawd, August is awesome for Blitz.

It looks fun but I am just so backed up game wise right now I will wait for a price drop.

In other news I got my first chicken dinner! Felt real good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In Observer I opened a refrigerator door and it had a server rack inside

That's the most cyberpunk shit I've ever seen in my life

BearPawB

Banned
Just beat Observer.

Low on the fear scale but an audio/visual masterpiece.
Not sure it quite stuck the landing, but I think I will remember a lot of that game for a long time

Nah agent of mayhem still looks like it has bad jokes.

Disappointing lack of kanye west though.

Dude, I think SR had great jokes, AoM has bad jokes. That's how bad they are.

The Lanye presentation is a part of it though. In 3 you were diving off of an aircraft whilst turret shooting guys then you had the Kanye scene following it, in 4 you were disarming a fucking nuke to Don't Want to Miss a Thing as your team talks down to you.

In AoM you're just shooting guys? Fuck, even the amount of dialogue between agents seems lacking next to SR3/4.

Dude, I think SR had great jokes, AoM has bad jokes. That's how bad they are.

The kanye presentation is a part of it though. In 3 you were diving off of an aircraft whilst turret shooting guys then you had the Kanye scene following it, in 4 you were disarming a fucking nuke to Don't Want to Miss a Thing as your team talks down to you.

In AoM you're just shooting guys? Fuck, even the amount of dialogue between agents seems lacking next to SR3/4.
I think we got different writers in AoM.

Jason Blair wrote it.
Steve Jaros and Drew Holmes wrote Saints Row 2.
Steve Jaros wrote 3.
Steve Jaros wrote IV

So there we go...

This is all on Jason Blair not being Steve Jaros.

I think we got different writers in AoM.

Jason Blair wrote it.
Steve Jaros and Drew Holmes wrote Saints Row 2.
Steve Jaros wrote 3.
Steve Jaros wrote IV

So there we go...

This is all on Jason Blair not being Steve Jaros.

The writing's bad and I'm not going to defend it, one of my favourite things was SR built up jokes over the course of the game which is lacking here, but there's more to it than that. SR made it's name through huge set pieces that turned bland gameplay mechanics into something exciting through things like sky diving, being in a sky diving tank, game shows, zombies in the middle of a non-zombie game, text adventures, jacking in to the matrix, space! Super Powers! We all Jane Austin now! AoM is just shoot guys, I honestly don't have faith in the studio that brought me Free Space 2 and the Saints Row series and it sucks.

It's like if Obsidian released a Flappy Bird clone that had rad storytelling.

Oh, you mean like in Team Fortress?

AoM lets you switch between heroes as though they were weapons. So you can go from a tank with a mini-gun to a super fast ninja with melee attacks with a button press.

Overwatch x Marvel 2

Overwatch, but you are locked in to 3 characters you pick at the start of the match, and you quick swap between them and call assists of the ones you aren't controlling.

that's a free idea, developers

jambo

Left Nier Automata alone for almost a month and I was at the end and just finished it. Funny when that happens.

I did the same thing with The Witness. Wife and I were playing through it on release and got stuck on some of the difficult parts. Came back recently and we were only about 15 puzzles from the end.

BTA

I did the same thing with The Witness. Wife and I were playing through it on release and got stuck on some of the difficult parts. Came back recently and we were only about 15 puzzles from the end.

I left The Witness for almost exactly 6 months and then finished (more or less); I only had some of the last area remaining.

(...to be fair I was in another country for 3 of those months, but still.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh wait, i think i finally remembered what game i was thinking of that lets you switch between different characters for different abilities. It's indivisible.

Top Bottom