• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Phu

Banned
As much as I try I can't get with Nidhogg's look

I don't think I like how they gave the characters 'personality' with their visuals. There was something I found really appealing in the faceless, emotionless warrior people in the first game.

It's gonna the Red Wedding of Giant Bomb content.

tji1wJA.gif

pizzacat

Banned
"Stamina? Pfft. PUBG allows you to run forever. Now that's a game."
For a game that lets you run forever it barely runs well?

Why should goty go to a game where the dev is focused on lootboxes more than the actual development of the game

All of this being said by the imaginary Gb member that joined in my dreams

I sent in a postcard like a week and a half ago. It is my birthday today (Friday) and the person I gave a shout out to's birthday was Monday. I mentioned neither in the postcard. I fucked up.

Happy Birthday. Also, ya you kinda guaranteed your card not being read.

You don't think it was the shout out to GBGAF that killed my chances?

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag

Danke Oti (und everyone)!

Edit: Also I listened to the 1099 with Vinny yesterday. Interesting how it seems like Abby was exactly who he was looking to hire. A younger person who hasn't necessarily played all the classics for a new perspective. I appreciate that from her.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
For a game that lets you run forever it barely runs well?

Why should goty go to a game where the dev is focused on lootboxes more than the actual development of the game

All of this being said by the imaginary Gb member that joined in my dreams
runs well isn't the argument i would go when trying to put botw over something

kiguel182

Jeff is going to cut BoW in pieces.

It's a shame since it's such a better game than Horizon but it has tons of little mechanics that you could nitpick while Horizon doesn't. Mostly because it plays it so safe but still, not a lot to nitpick like Zelda.

Honestly the stamina in Zelda make climbing a mechanic you have to plan and think about instead of Horizons "cinematic" climbing that requires barely any input.

Jeff is going to cut BoW in pieces.

It's a shame since it's such a better game than Horizon but it has tons of little mechanics that you could nitpick while Horizon doesn't. Mostly because it plays it so safe but still, not a lot to nitpick like Zelda.

Honestly the stamina in Zelda make climbing a mechanic you have to plan and think about instead of Horizons "cinematic" climbing that requires barely any input.

BOTW is a perfect example of death by a thousand cuts. It’s a great but flawed game that has sooo many small issues that add up.

Also the dungeons/story/boss fights are all pretty awful.

BTA

Well I won't say anything other than season 3 starts right where 2 ended. Like almost literally. So, in that sense it feels like a direct continuation of what happened in the last 20 or so minutes of S2's finale which is fantastic. When it comes to style though it's what you'll notice immediately in how different it is but then again, we're talking 20+ years of filmmaking history here.

Ok, I started later than planned and so need to sleep even more, but that was good!
Still sorta happy I was spoiled for that bit, since it was a little creepier than I'd like if I was seeing it past 1 AM, but it was also way less sudden and much more cheesy than it had been made out to be, which I appreciated. Good to see some of the old cast again even though I live in fear of not actually recognizing an old man the show expects me to subtly recognize because I'm terrible at identifying actors. Definitely wondering how some of the non-town stuff ties in; the book sorta implied what the glass box stuff (I should reread that bit...) stuff is but that murder I have no idea about.

You were right; I already want to watch more. Guess I'll watch episode 2 over breakfast if I get up early enough to do so...

oti

Banned
Wolfie is going top 3 fam.

I just hope the shooting will be more fun than in the last game. It was pretty boring to be honest.

We need to pretend that the game hasn't been patched because certain people at Giant Bomb will certainly act like it hasn't.

Well, yeah. Maybe they'll revisit the game once DLC 2 comes out. That way they'd at least have some basic impressions how the game runs nowadays.

oti

Banned
Those guys at GBEast all seemed to bounce off Horizon and be meh on it.

Gerstmann will teach them and punish them during GOTY time.

Let's be honest here. If Jeff wasn't so down on stamina systems Zelda vs. Horizon wouldn't even be a conversation.

As long as the top ten doesn't include some dumb loot game or a one-note indie darling, then I'll be relatively happy. Or someone stanning hard for a shitty game in a genre they barely play because they lack the context to realize it's junk

As long as the top ten doesn't include some dumb loot game or a one-note indie darling, then I'll be relatively happy. Or someone stanning hard for a shitty game in a genre they barely play because they lack the context to realize it's junk

You do know Destiny 2 comes out in like two months right?

two weeks

Er right I forgot PC got delayed and console versions come out soon.

I'm more interested in biggest disappointment than. I think it's going to be a real struggle to put three games on that list. The only thing that even remotely fits that list this year at this point in Yooka-Laylee.

oti

Banned

This is Giant Bomb. Brad will get a one-note game on the list. Brad will also get Destiny on the list. Jeff will get that Taxi Clicker game on the list.

Ok, I started later than planned and so need to sleep even more, but that was good!
Still sorta happy I was spoiled for that bit, since it was a little creepier than I'd like if I was seeing it past 1 AM, but it was also way less sudden and much more cheesy than it had been made out to be, which I appreciated. Good to see some of the old cast again even though I live in fear of not actually recognizing an old man the show expects me to subtly recognize because I'm terrible at identifying actors. Definitely wondering how some of the non-town stuff ties in; the book sorta implied what the glass box stuff (I should reread that bit...) stuff is but that murder I have no idea about.

You were right; I already want to watch more. Guess I'll watch episode 2 over breakfast if I get up early enough to do so...

297QHsA.gif

This is Giant Bomb. Brad will get a one-note game on the list. Brad will also get Destiny on the list. Jeff will get that Taxi Clicker game on the list.

I should complain about some other stuff because I didn't mean to single out Brad.

I really don't like when people (it's mostly Alex, but I'm sure other people do it) bring up games just to "say their piece" and then immediately cut them. If you believe something should be included, then make a case for it instead of instantly capitulating. If you can't or don't want to argue that it should be included, then don't waste everyone's time.

I should complain about some other stuff because I didn't mean to single out Brad.

I really don't like when people (it's mostly Alex, but I'm sure other people do it) bring up games just to "say their piece" and then immediately cut them. If you believe something should be included, then make a case for it instead of instantly capitulating. If you can't or don't want to argue that it should be included, then don't waste everyone's time.

I like GOTY as both a cutthroat battle to create a good list and a final place of closure to recommend games that stood out to a minority of the cast over the course of the year. Just view it as both of those things instead of only one and it's all fine.

robotrock

Banned
Er right I forgot PC got delayed and console versions come out soon.

I'm more interested in biggest disappointment than. I think it's going to be a real struggle to put three games on that list. The only thing that even remotely fits that list this year at this point in Yooka-Laylee.
If I remember correctly there was some kind of mass effect game this year

oti

Banned

In the end it's just entertainment. The only time shit got real was with Palmer Luckey, and Alex absolutely killed that segment.

What I find infuriating at times is them braking their own logic or being hypocritical about some games so they can get their favourites on the list. But it's just as dumb list. Getting worked up over them is missing the point. They're recording their deliberations to show the world how incredibly flawed the concept of GOTY is.

Also their opinions are trash but we've been through that fact many times already.

:p

If I remember correctly there was some kind of mass effect game this year

I feel like there was enough lead in of people being suspicious of the games quality that it's wasn't much of a disappointment. That's more of a hottest mess thing in this case. I guess with the year being strong otherwise it works though. We're still missing one though! Maybe Wolfenstein will be bad that way it doesn't get in the top 10 like people are joking and it's most disappointing.

I still think it's crazy that Jeff one year made the argument that Mario Maker got to be #1 in spite of it's flaws. Then next year made an argument against Doom that hinged on the fact one aspect of the game was bad, but somehow that same argument was irrelevant for Mario Maker the year before.

I like GOTY as both a cutthroat battle to create a good list and a final place of closure to recommend games that stood out to a minority of the cast over the course of the year. Just view it as both of those things instead of only one and it's all fine.

The notable but not good enough games presumably got their due on one of the many Giant Bomb shows, so it just seems redundant. But obviously not everyone consumes all content, so that's on me for being an obsessive listener.

In the end it's just entertainment. The only time shit got real was with Palmer Luckey, and Alex absolutely killed that segment.

What I find infuriating at times is them braking their own logic or being hypocritical about some games so they can get their favourites on the list. But it's just as dumb list. Getting worked up over them is missing the point. They're recording their deliberations to show the world how incredibly flawed the concept of GOTY is.

Also their opinions are trash but we've been through that fact many times already.

:p

Giant Bomb's goty being some sort of satirical takedown of the very concept of goty explains everything, but I somehow doubt that's the entirety of what they're going for.

oti

Banned
Giant Bomb's goty being some sort of satirical takedown of the very concept of goty explains everything, but I somehow doubt that's the entirety of what they're going for.

I'm sure that's how they began. Over the years they must've become a huge draw for new and returning listeners/viewers/subscribers. In every GB GOTY thread here on GAF there are people saying how they stopped following GB years ago but went back in because of the deliberations.

Top Bottom