• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Hindl

Not sure if people are serious when they belittle AoE in here.
But hey, ANIME RULES right?
It's not belittling, it's just that RTSes are kinda irrelevant in 2017, even storied ones. I'm sure it'll sell but AoE IV won't be the constant talk of the industry like the older ones were when they came out

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not belittling, it's just that RTSes are kinda irrelevant in 2017, even storied ones. I'm sure it'll sell but AoE IV won't be the constant talk of the industry like the older ones were when they came out

While RTS are kinda irrelevant these days (especially outside of PC gaming), Age of Empires returning with a new quality entry would certainly turn heads.

Age of Empires is still a name that holds a lot of sway, even if a lot of it is nostalgia.

3277735-fff.png

finally the crossover i've always dreamed of

Finished the aftershow. I think it was pretty well-done for a pilot episodes, and the few kinks seem like things that can be worked out.

Discord, while a good service, has a lot more points of failure than just a regular phone, but the chat functionality might be enough to offset that for the needs of the show. If Brad or Rorie are around it'd be cool if they could hang out for the after show too, but Ben and Jeff play well off of each other.

Hasney

can we take a moment to discuss just how terrible Mark Madden was as a commentator

my biggest takeaway from watching 2000s WCW was that he was fucking insufferable beyond intent

Schiavone seemed pretty good though

I actually liked him at the time, because he talked like a 16 year old internet smark like I was. But yeah, re-watchijg was god awful.

Have you had the pleasure of Da Jooce on commentary yet? Still better than Madden.

can we take a moment to discuss just how terrible Mark Madden was as a commentator

my biggest takeaway from watching 2000s WCW was that he was fucking insufferable beyond intent

Madden was terrible but by that time Schiavone was phoning it in and declaring every Nitro to be the best ever, which kind of ruined his credibility. Although, I think he was doing that for years anyway.

Why would you watch 2000's WCW? Once they changed the logo, it was the sign of the downfall...
I lived through that travesty once, I don't need to ever live through it again.

I actually liked him at the time, because he talked like a 16 year old internet smark like I was. But yeah, re-watchijg was god awful.

Have you had the pleasure of Da Jooce on commentary yet? Still better than Madden.

I dunno, to me he seemed like the typical WWE "blindly praise whatever the bad guy does" heel commentator with a good deal of "X WINS! X WINS! X WINS!" thrown in.

If you're talking about Juvi, I probably missed that since I started watching it from like August 2000 after Hogan bailed.

Why would you watch 2000's WCW? Once they changed the logo, it was the sign of the downfall...
I lived through that travesty once, I don't need to ever live through it again.

scott steiner brought out a tiger

Hasney

I dunno, to me he seemed like the typical WWE "blindly praise whatever the bad guy does" heel commentator with a good deal of "X WINS! X WINS! X WINS!" thrown in.

If you're talking about Juvi, I probably missed that since I started watching it from like August 2000 after Hogan bailed.

Thinking about it, I think Juvi only commentated Thunder too. And I doubt you're that insane to watch 2000 Thunder

Hindl

Yeah Halo is obscure af you guys
Before I posted it did you even remember Halo Wars 2 launched this year?
Not being into RTS is one thing but breaking it down like that is just dumb. And wrong.
I loved RTSes growing up, but the industry moved on. I know there's still a devoted fanbase for these games, but most people aren't paying attention anymore. The heyday of the RTS is over. Blizzard temporarily shot some life into it with Starcraft 2, but then that petered out and now they're throwing out a SC remaster and that's probably it. AoE is returning, but that's a series that's been dead for 12 years and it won't revive the genre, and the original studio is dead. Command & Conquer has been dead for years and again, the original studio is dead. Pretty much all that's left is the Total War games, the Dawn of War series, and smaller one-off games

You think I'm wrong and that RTSes are relevant in 2017. So convince me. Where is your proof that it's a relevant genre? I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

derFeef

I loved RTSes growing up, but the industry moved on. I know there's still a devoted fanbase for these games, but most people aren't paying attention anymore. The heyday of the RTS is over. Blizzard temporarily shot some life into it with Starcraft 2, but then that petered out and now they're throwing out a SC remaster and that's probably it. AoE is returning, but that's a series that's been dead for 12 years and it won't revive the genre, and the original studio is dead. Command & Conquer has been dead for years and again, the original studio is dead. Pretty much all that's left is the Total War games, the Dawn of War series, and smaller one-off games

You think I'm wrong and that RTSes are relevant in 2017. So convince me. Where is your proof that it's a relevant genre? I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

You really have an egocentric view on all of this. I don't have numbers to back it up and I certainly don't need it imho - should we just ignore that genre and say fuck it? Ridiculous viewpoint.

Halo Wars 2 came out this year.

A genre or game doesn't have to be a blockbuster success that sells 10m+ units to be viable or relevant. Lack of mainstream success does not equate to irrelevance. The genre not being at its mid-to-late 90s height of popularity also does not equate to irrelevance.

Rainmaker

Banned

Schiavone wasn't anywhere near perfect but I loved him and Heenan together. Once things started to really head south Schiavone began to noticeably not care on air and it was hilarious. Really some of my favorite wrestling stuff is watching bad WCW for Schiavone's reactions

I've been doing a Nitro re-watch from the beginning and it's a hell of a time. When WCW was hitting good notes it felt better than most promotions in the world and it's lows were more funny than boring. I'm glad Thunder is coming to the network soon

Mark Madden is trash and still is a trash bag

- J - D -

Speaking of RTS games, apparently Total War: Warhammer 2 is out next month! The first one only released last November, leaving a less than one year gap between entries. Guess it did well to warrant such a quick sequel.

oti

Banned
Schiavone wasn't anywhere near perfect but I loved him and Herman together. Once things started to really head south Schiavone began to noticeably not care on air and it was hilarious. Really some of my favorite wrestling stuff is watching bad WCW for Schiavone's reactions

For a second I thought you were talking about tennis.

Let's talk about tennis.

Tennis is cool.

Schiavone wasn't anywhere near perfect but I loved him and Herman together. Once things started to really head south Schiavone began to noticeably not care on air and it was hilarious. Really some of my favorite wrestling stuff is watching bad WCW for Schiavone's reactions

I really want to see footage of Schiavone calling Braves games. Dude seems like he's perfect for the job.

patapuf

AOE 2 was a pheonomenon that sold millions. The remaster of 2 on steam is at 5 million copies and has already had 3 DLC campaigns released in the last 2-3 years.

The series being picked up again is big news. If for no other reason that it's the first PC exclusive Microsoft will have published in a long, long time. Especially if you contrast with the rest they announced at gamescom which is pretty much nothing.

BTA

My hot take is I actually do care more about .hack than AoE, except I never played the games and for some reason this thing they're releasing is the second trilogy rather than the first so I can't care about it either.

patapuf

Yeah, I don't know about relevance or whatever but I'm not sure GB is a good barometer of a genre's relevance one way or another.

Strategy games is definitely not a big interest of the crew.

I was stunned when they liked XCOM as much as they did. Those were some good discussions on the bombcast.

And it got us the The Exquisite Corps

- J - D -

We have .hack to thank for Sword Art Online.

Strategy games is definitely not a big interest of the crew.

I was stunned when they liked XCOM as much as they did. Those were some good discussions on the bombcast.

And it got us the The Exquisite Corps

The Exquisite Corps sure is popular. 600+ comments alone for Ep3.

I'm glad that the .hack thing is coming out, I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and the series was always a great sleeping aid

I only tried it once like 15 years ago I'm sure it's fine

Top Bottom