• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

strafer

oR4VTbN.png

BTA

He was popping the wrong thing. The pyramid wasn’t in the path of the boss on the third turn. Abby was telling it but it seemed he was confused and kept getting hit making it worse.

I wasn't talking about that though? What I was replying to was about his timing, not which one he was popping.

Anyway WHAT EVEN IS that Unfinished, wow.

Sunshine was so good. Such a good episode.

The sand bird, the fucking pachinko, Vinny choking on the boxes, the last bet! And that fucking boss and Alex using the sand pyramid that clearly wasn't working while Abby was freaking out lol

The two red shines!!

This is an amazing series. Like, awesome work by everyone involved. Can't wait for next week!

It's my favorite Giant Bomb show since Mario Party Party (which was starting to lose its luster around Mario Party 5 anyway)

Ashby

Reading through that YouTube demonetization thread and it's amazing how much foresight Jeff possesses. I remember him talking about how risky he felt it was to tie yourself to someone else's platform years ago when video game YouTubers were getting really big and lo and behold those guys are getting fucked right now

killroy87

Good Bombcast this week! Beast might be better at filling time when there isn't much to talk about, but I still think West has better actual conversations about games. Weird that they didn't give even a passing mention to Age of Empires IV being announced though. I know it probably isn't their game, but I still figured that was big news.

derFeef

Good Bombcast this week! Beast might be better at filling time when there isn't much to talk about, but I still think West has better actual conversations about games. Weird that they didn't give even a passing mention to Age of Empires IV being announced though. I know it probably isn't their game, but I still figured that was big news.

Yeah, said the same thing (and people got mad for some weird reason)

Mupod

I didn't actually make it to the monster hunter talk until today but they mentioned they had a video, I looked and it's still not up :(

Also does Jeff's MH disdain seriously come from his experience with the PS2 games? I don't think even I could play those nowadays...

Age of Empires gets brought up on the after show. Essentially, it's a big shrug from them. Doesn't sound like any of them were ever much into the series.

Wait, Dan hates Noki Bay? That's like the best level! I also love Ricco Harbor though.

(I'm a few episodes behind, but today is my last day at work so I will be catching up!)

Hope it's not from the Rockstar. Having a co-worker pass a kidney stone and explain to me how that felt made me stop drinking soda
for like a month

Ashby

Having a full-time job (where I can't listen to podcasts or videos) and a social life makes keeping up with GB content goddamn impossible. Forget about actually playing video games. I miss the content drought days. Save me PAX.

No one is into the Xbox One X either and they discussed it a lot. It's big news no matter if they are into it or not.

Though I think AoE is decently newsworthy, they have to talk about new consoles because those are multi-hundred dollar purchasing decisions that people really want the crew's help with. In addition, there's a lot more to talk about regarding a company's strategy, launch lineup, marketing, price point, power and everything else with a console. AoE is an announcement and a dev.

Reading through that YouTube demonetization thread and it's amazing how much foresight Jeff possesses. I remember him talking about how risky he felt it was to tie yourself to someone else's platform years ago when video game YouTubers were getting really big and lo and behold those guys are getting fucked right now

Wanna know how fucked it is?

I have ads on the Surgeon Simulator LPs I did years ago. 17 videos.

6-7 are still fully monetized.
6-7 are "limited" monetized.
A couple are blocked from monetization.

How fucked is the system where a game that's all gore/violence can be perfectly fine, kinda okay, and horrible for advertisers all that the same time. They also said that cursing in a limited amount wouldn't stop monetizaion, so if I slipped up a few times that wouldn't be affecting it either.

There is NO logic behind what's flagging videos at this point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean the weirder thing is that they didn't talk about the .hack collection coming to the West this year nor that android 18 is added to DBFZ.

Which are frankly both bigger news than AoE.

Hasney

How fucked is the system where a game that's all gore can be perfectly fine, kinda okay, and horrible for advertisers all that the same time.

I mean, that's what an algorithm is going to do for you. no-ones checking this stuff. You may have said a word that sounds like "fuck" according to the system in one of the blocked ones or whatever.

I'm really hoping the knee-jerk isn't their final answer to the problem which is advertisers wanting more control over where their ads appear. They need a dashboard to check off what kind of content they're happy with. But since advertisers demanded a solution immediately and that tool wasn't in place, they had to go scorched earth for now.

Phatmac

I mean the weirder thing is that they didn't talk about the .hack collection coming to the West this year nor that android 18 is added to DBFZ.

Which are frankly both bigger news than AoE.
I don't think they care about .hack. I don't think new additions to DBFZ matter to them at all.

How fucked is the system where a game that's all gore/violence can be perfectly fine, kinda okay, and horrible for advertisers all that the same time. They also said that cursing in a limited amount wouldn't stop monetizaion, so if I slipped up a few times that wouldn't be affecting it either.

I'm sympathetic towards YouTube's position because you have to algorithmically take care of these things with the sheer number of videos uploaded every second and with the legal ramifications if they don't but yeah it seems like the GB model well definitely be more sustainable.

Top Bottom