• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

ojpnn9J.png

Ashby

I want to visit the alternate reality where Austin was on that Film & 40s. Dan and Abby would have gotten dunked on into space.

Tubobutts

Should I even listen to the They Live F&40s? I love the film and you guys are making their reaction sound pretty bad.
Basically Abby is a second Dan in terms of ability to pay attention to the movie.

Although Dan still out Dan'd her by asking questions that were answered literally seconds earlier.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm invested in like 6 growing multiplayer experiences between Overwatch, Quake, Titanfall 2, Gigantic , Tekken 7 and PUBG

I think I'm spreading myself too thin

I've seen it, and in all of the ways I assumed they'd make a bad movie out of it, "They'll make Ryuk into a horror movie monster" wasn't even on the list.

I mean, that's not even the worst of it. You should youtube the film's ending or better yet just watch the entire thing because....man. MAN.

- J - D -

Excuse me! Don't you remember the absolute master piece of a chase scene? Maybe you just don't appreciate the intricacies of throwing stuff on the ground while running past them?

If Abby thought the scenes in They Live went on for too long she should watch that Death Note chase scene.

The only thing I got out of it is that the guy who plays L runs funny.
edit: cool gaffer dracula_x graciously made a gif of it in the movie's thread:
o2lbe6j.gif

Zaph

All right, yeah, UC: Lost Legacy was great - didn't outstay its welcome either. I like the Crystal Dynamics games, but this is the Tomb Raider I want. Hoping they continue Uncharted with Chloe - in fact, just put Claudia Black in everything.

edit: Death Note is anime. You guys ain't fooling nobody, go back to your caves.

Honestly it's lame in the anime, too. Just a different flavor of lame.

Not really? It was intriguing and interesting as we slowly get to see Light's god complex unravel. The entire thing was also given the time so that we get to see both Ryuk & Light's perspectives on certain matters that makes the whole thing work more or less, it feels more well realized.

e: In the film he basically wants to
kill bad people so that he gets laid

oti

Banned
is the death note movie actually bad or is it just angry anime fans?

I'm not an angry anime fan.
The idea is still solid.
The execution of the source material's themes is an utter trainwreck.
The pacing is solid.
It's not a good movie but it's entertaining.
If that makes sense.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The funniest thing overall about that scene is how they felt the need to be so faithful to the source material on surface, meaningless levels. Ryuk looks like Ryuk, but instead of a goofy comic relief and commentary on the main character's decisions and attempts to become a god, he's a scary monster who is running things. Light kept his name but he's a terrified victim instead of a well intentioned idiot kid who abuses a power that falls into his lap and throws away all of his morals along the way.

Also Ryuk eats apples by the basketfull, but now it's supposed to be scary even though Willam Dafoe's actual head sitting there eating apples would have been thousands of times creepier than the more cartoonish than the actual cartoon CGI puppet they got.

Is it so valuable to keep the fans of the source material quiet during production but not the moment the movie releases?

Salarians

All right, yeah, UC: Lost Legacy was great - didn't outstay its welcome either. I like the Crystal Dynamics games, but this is the Tomb Raider I want. Hoping they continue Uncharted with Chloe - in fact, just put Claudia Black in everything.

edit: Death Note is anime. You guys ain't fooling nobody, go back to your caves.
Claudia Black is the greatest and should be in everything

robotrock

Banned
It is...interesting with some weird stylistic choices. If I were to just imagine myself not having seen the anime, it would be an ok film.

I'm not an angry anime fan.
The idea is still solid.
The execution of the source material's themes is an utter trainwreck.
The pacing is solid.
It's not a good movie but it's entertaining.
If that makes sense.

I haven't seen the anime, but I still kind of want to check this out. I liked You're Next and The Guest quite a bit, and those are from the same director. Heard his Blair Witch movie was bad though.

Also how much Willem Dafoe is in this?

Not really? It was intriguing and interesting as we slowly get to see Light's god complex unravel. The entire thing was also given the time so that we get to see both Ryuk & Light's perspectives on certain matters that makes the whole thing work more or less, it feels more well realized.

e: In the film he basically wants to
kill bad people so that he gets laid

I'm not saying the movie is better, just that the anime/manga is also pretty lame. I mean, it's entertaining and dumb fun for sure. But it's always strange how Death Note was treated as more than that.

I haven't seen the anime, but I still kind of want to check this out. I liked You're Next and The Guest quite a bit, and those are from the same director. Heard his Blair Witch movie was bad though.

Not enough.

Toooooo little which is a shame because his character's backstory is basically stripped out. Dafoe channeling his inner Green Goblin shit was a joy to see.
I'm not saying the movie is better, just that the anime/manga is also pretty lame. I mean, it's entertaining and dumb fun for sure. But it's always strange how Death Note was treated as more than that.

That's because it has interesting characters with fascinating motivations. The anime always made it a point to give time for characters to explain and talk about their viewpoints on whatever which I found it to be one of its strongest aspects apart from the soundtrack. Then there is the whole "Sherlock vs Moriarity" thing with Light & L which I assume is what most people are into.

I find it strange when people say that Light is a hero. Like really strange.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I find it strange when people say that Light is a hero. Like really strange.

There are people who didn't realize Tyler Durden was a villain doing and saying villain ass things the entire time during Fight Club too.

Hell, Gordon Gecko inspired a generation before Durden did.

Top Bottom