• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

def sim

Kiwami is out tomorrow. Hm I'm probably not down for another so soon- I might wait a bit. I'm kinda missing those substories, though.

BTA

I like to believe Dan isn't as stupid as his GB persona, but if he's really still doing eating half of the shit he used to, food-wise, since being diagnosed, then i question that belief.

Dan, buddy, if you're reading this: please take care of yourself. Diabetes is no joke.

Yeaaah I don't wanna be the weird person who talk about other people's health online but things like the amount of soda he drinks seem just sorta shocking to me, I dunno.

Like... listen, I'm not exactly a healthy eater by far and I sure do have many instances of "this is horrible but I'm doing well overall so I'll never fix it" currently, so I'm not judging or anything, but that can't end well, right? Dude has ridiculous luck but still.

Jodie-sweetin-secrets-scandals-13.jpg

Someone will get it.

Wunder

How do they lose in XCom if they can just keep making replacements for the soldiers who have died?

Country panic will continue to mount. When you get a choice for mission, any country you don't pick goes up, and if you fail a mission, that continent goes up in panic as well.

Additionally, continuing to lose soldiers means you lose valuable experience - Going in with a handful of Rookies with no unique skills or increased stats from levelling up means it's going to be that much harder to kill enemies

BTA

How do they lose in XCom if they can just keep making replacements for the soldiers who have died?

They need money for soldiers (and the soldiers they get will be rookies), and countries are already starting to get pissed at them.

I don't actually know the loss conditions but I'm assuming it's tied to countries backing out? And they're going to lose some already because, going by what people in the thread have said, they won't actually have another satellite up for a month.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The more i play Mario+rabbids the more I'm wondering why don't people just call it an srpg rather than an x-com lite.

Hell, if it's because of the cover based third person shooter thing valkyria chronicles did it way before the x-com reboot.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The more i play Mario+rabbids the more I'm wondering why don't people just call it an srpg rather than an x-com lite.

Hell, if it's because of the cover based third person shooter thing valkyria chronicles did it way before the x-com reboot.

We can't have people using genre names that might get them to look at older japanese titles, now can we? Everything has to be modern, gritty and use guns. Like X-COM.

- J - D -

Because X-Com is the most popular and recent one of those.

BTA

I wish I had Rabbids already.

I'm in a weird funk and it's all I want to play right now. At least tomorrow should be fun.

TraBuch

Banned
Hey guys, I've been thinking, do y'all think a TLoU four on four East vs West video would be interesting? I do. I'd love to see it. It's a great multiplayer mode that didn't get the due it deserved. I think the duders would have fun.

Salarians

Hey guys, I've been thinking, do y'all think a TLoU four on four East vs West video would be interesting? I do. I'd love to see it. It's a great multiplayer mode that didn't get the due it deserved. I think the duders would have fun.
hmm yeah I like this idea

Jintor

We can't have people using genre names that might get them to look at older japanese titles, now can we? Everything has to be modern, gritty and use guns. Like X-COM.

If you think Xcom is gritty you've been playing a very different Xcom lmao

Antiwhippy

Because X-Com is the most popular and recent one of those.

Hardly anyone calls xcom an srpg though. Even though that's totally what it is.

Though i kind of see why because x-com to me does signify the survival metagame layer, but m+r is more like your usual srpg progression.

BTA

I do not think a video would necessarily be interesting but can agree with your views on this multiplayer mode.

I'd like to see Rainbow Six: Siege since it holds the same intensity as PUBG, just on a much smaller and tighter scale. Also matches don't take forever.

they'll never play it though

- J - D -

Maybe "srpg" scares the broader audience away.

edit: I mean in the sense that if X-Com was never originally marketed by the devs or studio as an srpg, that genre distinction for it never caught on.

Mario+Rabbids is way more like XCOM than FFT,Disgaea, or Fire Emblem. People have definitely shifted to those far closer shorthand in recent years with thing like Soulslike and Metroidvania those are both subgenres in much bigger ones but people like using those more explicit names. The Soulslike stuff is of course a mess, because tons of stuff gets that descriptor, but often don't mean much more than melee combat and hard.

What do people generally call X-com?

I think people try to lump it in more with stuff like Commandos, Desperados, and Jagged Alliance and more broadly turn based strategy like Civilization. I think that's a product of it PC roots and people who were fans of it not really aware of SRPG games.

- J - D -

I think people try to lump it in more with stuff like Commandos, Desperados, and Jagged Alliance and more broadly turn based strategy like Civilization. I think that's a product of it PC roots and people who were fans of it not really aware of SRPG games.

The term "srpg" when removed from its history/lineage comes off as really broad.

The term "srpg" when removed from its history/lineage comes off as really broad.

I mean aren't most of the genre names even subgenre names this way? Throw up a thread asking if Zelda is an Action Adventure or Action RPG and you'll probably get a 5+ thread of people arguing semantics.

- J - D -

I mean aren't most of the genre names even subgenre names this way? Throw up a thread asking if Zelda is an Action Adventure or Action RPG and you'll probably get a 5+ thread of people arguing semantics.

Yeah, I was trying to get at why people don't just call x-com or m+r srpgs. Genre distinctions become more fluid as time progresses.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I was trying to get at why people don't just call x-com or m+r srpgs. Genre distinctions become more fluid as time progresses.

My argument is that it's more similar to traditional srpgs tho.

Like the jumping stuff and chain attacks have more in common with disgaea.

Top Bottom