• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Absolver looks fucking awesome(I was already excited for it when I watched the developer commentary videos). It also looks like a game I don't want to play right now because I could not dedicate a lot of my time on it. Looks like another December/early next year kind of game.

LiK

I'm laughing when Vinny said Dan could somehow befriend Grim Reaper because I can totally picture that, lol

DIpEIaeXkAA_6lc.jpg

somebody stop this train

Dan Ryckert will accidentally try and wash a seasoned food with a household cleaning chemical and inadvertently conjure mythical ambrosia and become the first human rendered immortal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
re the Bombcast: Ring of Honor is worse than WWE and has been for the last 5 years

It's real bad. Stick to pretty much any other promotion.

daveo42

Banned
#TeamFall

Fall/Autumn is the best time of the year.

Agreed. Love the fall. Hoodies and strong, dark beer and the changing of the leaves.

Horizon is the Bioshock Infinite of 2017

Nah, Horizon is great game with an interesting and deep world and story. Infinite can be interesting and deep as long as you don't actually look past the surface. Horizon also has superior gameplay.

Infinite is a mediocre game that wished it was good as the original Bioshock.

Hasney

I'd rather watch ROH than WWE just for match quality, but I'd rather just continue watching neither and watching the occasional recommended ROH match.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd rather watch ROH than WWE just for match quality, but I'd rather just continue watching neither and watching the occasional recommended ROH match.

I've never seen anyone recommend a ROH match in the last 5 years

I've seen people recommend WWE matches

Horizon is the Bioshock Infinite of 2017

That's a bit harsh, it's much more interesting mechanically than Infinite.

Though I agree that I don't get the sense that it'll be looked back on as fondly as it was looked at at launch. A lot of stuff this year overshadowed it, I thought. And there's a lot of stuff I played this year that I got a "people will still look back on this game fondly 10 years from now" feeling from.

In the combat in Horizon good when it's the exact same 10 hours in as it is 50 hours in?

That's definitely the part about the combat that felt lacking to me.

There's a lot of tools and a lot of them are front loaded so the combat feels really interesting at first, but it starts on a high and then doesn't really go any higher for the most part. It evolves through to the first half-ish then kinda plateaus.

daveo42

Banned
In the combat in Horizon good when it's the exact same 10 hours in as it is 50 hours in?

I assume you haven't played much Horizon then? Or did you just use the same bow and arrows the entire time and gloss over traps, bombs, elements, and different kinds of arrow heads based around the enemies you went up against?

Edit: Completely forgot about robot fighting as well. But yea, totally no depth to combat and it's 100% the same start to finish.

I hate winter because it's depressing. At the very least, back home when it's winter it doesn't rain as much as it does here in the UK. Here, it fucking rains randomly and it sucks. SUCKS.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I assume you haven't played Horizon then? Or did you just use the same bow and arrows the entire time and gloss over traps, bombs, elements, and different kinds of arrow heads based around the enemies you went up against?

Played and finished it. The game's skill trees and lack of weapons make it incredibly repetitive. You mention 'different types of arrows' but mechanically they all function in nearly the same way with small % changes based on attack points. By the time you've reached Meridian you already have purple gear, all the traps and purple weapons which you won't replace for the several tens of hours left of the game you have and all you'll get for new gear in their faux rpg are very small stat modifiers.

occasionally you'll get a new skill that lets you stab someone from on top of a rock. very exciting.
Yes. And you could slap the same descriptor on pretty much any game with combat.

Most RPGs tend to have a progression system either through new, diverse skills or varied gear. Horizon caps that off 1/4th of the way through

Horizon isn't really an RPG though. But yeah its progression and itemization do leave much to be desired, even if they aren't outright busted like in the Witcher 3.

I never found Horizon repetitive though. I enjoyed the combat all the way through and liked the world design/lack of the typical filler content.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
oh yeah and the dialogue choices that don't do anything.

forgot about those. what a deep, indepth storied role playing game

TraBuch

Banned
I can't remember any character in New Vegas tbh, and I loved the game. Guess there was the guy in the suit who shot the MC, but I can't remember his name.

daveo42

Banned
oh yeah and the dialogue choices that don't do anything.

forgot about those. what a deep, indepth storied role playing game

Lack of dialogue choice doesn't mean it has a bad story. They had a story they wanted to tell and a character they wanted you to play as. Unless you expected something like a Bethesda-style RPG prior to release of Fallout 4. And, it's a modern open world game with "RPG elements" and not a much more strict RPG.

Sorry the game wasn't The Witcher 3 I guess? Not sure why you played Horizon if you were looking for more Witcher tbh.

Then why include it at all

For a game from the writer of Falllout New Vegas, I was shocked that there was only one memorable character in the whole thing. And it definitely wasn't Alloy.

Extra dialogue between characters to flesh them out. But yeah, completely useless to include character interactions.

Is the writing in Pillars and Tyranny not as strong as it used to be? I haven't played those games yet.
Pillars isn't well written at all and Tyranny's writing was fine, but not anything to write home about. Obsidian isn't the same studio that put out Mask of the Betrayer and KOTOR2, they've lost a lot of writing talent.

Horizon, and Aloy in particular, is what happens when a bunch of dudes want to write a Strong Female Protagonist ie. Mary Sue with no personality other than Strong, no flaws, and certainly no interest in sex, lord no. Make it as safe as humanly possible.

Top Bottom