• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

daveo42

Banned
You're right, my mistake. I just don't care to have a discussion with someone who takes that kind of tone in a conversation about a videogame. The golden rule of internet argumentation: Interpret with minimum good faith, attack with maximum rhetorical force. You twisted my words about the sex part into something I clearly did not intend.

I did take it to an extreme, but those were you're words dude. Sorry, I just have an issue with people mistaking asexuality in characters as bad characters or "safe" characters. They can be poorly written for, but asexuality regardless of gender shouldn't be viewed as such. Idk if they went in that direction to avoid sexualizing Aloy, but the way I read it is that she's a character who is excessively focused on a particular task (headstrong to a fault) and anything else is ancillary to that objective. As well, she is an outcast in her own village and only ever socialized with Rost until she is preparing to the Proving.

I just think Aloy is actually a well-written character and that several other primary players are also well fleshed out. I wish more of the side characters were written a bit better or had more screen time, but overall they did a good job.

Speaking of franchises known for poorly drawn protagonists: I started the Life is Strange prequel, and I gotta say, insult sword fighting is the last mechanic I would have expected them to add, lol.

(I loved s1 but Max may as well have been a Persona MC.)

I read her more as taciturn and still figuring herself out. They leave some blank spaces for the player to project - natural in such a choice-driven narrative - but I don't think she was a cipher at all. She loves art and photography, has bad taste in film, is kind of a geek, likes twee indie music, hangs out with the quiet girls - there's stuff there. I think they strike a good balance between Max being her own person and an avatar for the player.

I did take it to an extreme, but those were you're words dude. Sorry, I just have an issue with people mistaking asexuality in characters as bad characters or "safe" characters. They can be poorly written for, but asexuality regardless of gender shouldn't be viewed as such. Idk if they went in that direction to avoid sexualizing Aloy, but the way I read it is that she's a character who is excessively focused on a particular task (headstrong to a fault) and anything else is ancillary to that objective. As well, she is an outcast in her own village and only ever socialized with Rost until she is preparing to the Proving.

I just think Aloy is actually a well-written character and that several other primary players are also well fleshed out. I wish more of the side characters were written a bit better or had more screen time, but overall they did a good job.

It's just one aspect of her characterization that contributed to my opinion of her as a character. People contain multitudes - no one is singularly focused on one thing for years and years on end to the total exclusion of all else. And if they intended for Aloy to be awkward or badly socialized or avoidant because she's been isolated for such a long time, they didn't portray that well, because she doesn't seem awkward at all - she's always ready with a wisecrack or something. Nothing about her rang particularly true.

unp3fXR.jpg

I'm mad about shoe!

How bout a kiss, baby? No tongue!

I think that Aloy's aversion to romantic relationships makes sense, given the people she's interacting with and her upbringing.

Relationships are a thing that you learn about from the world around you. From your parents (which Aloy didn't have), other adults in relationships around you (didn't have), fairy tales where princes get princesses (doubt she heard any of those) or legends where the guy gets the girl at the end. (Likely not).

In addition, there's a pretty notable disappointment that Aloy expresses towards the people that she is trying to rejoin, trying to save, trying to fight for. They're often petty or cruel or selfish. The society she's trained her whole life to rejoin isn't all that great. They're weaker than her, weaker than Rost. The few exceptions in the game you DO get hints towards interest in one or both ways, especially with Varl.

There's also the fact that she's busy as fuck, burdened by all sorts of destiny and survival shit.

I read her more as taciturn and still figuring herself out. They leave some blank spaces for the player to project - natural in such a choice-driven narrative - but I don't think she was a cipher at all. She loves art and photography, has bad taste in film, is kind of a geek, likes twee indie music, hangs out with the quiet girls - there's stuff there. I think they strike a good balance between Max being her own person and an avatar for the player.
I think there was a bit too much of the usual "telling instead of showing" for me. I knew a lot about her by the end, but it felt like we didn't see very much of her actively engaging with things. Even her photography passion never quite connected with me since we rarely saw her actually showing any passion for it. (I suppose a lot of it might have also just been the understated vocal performance and technical limitations with the character & facial animation.) I did at least think her relationship with Chloe worked by the end, though.

I'm not yet sold on Before the Storm (for a three-episode arc, it's an... interesting choice to end the first episode without giving any indication of what the arc will actually be), but that technical stuff is significantly improved. Makes me pretty excited to see what season 2 will be like.

In our hearts
We were upf all along.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
well if they didn't have such a good turnout and everyone didn't watch the PAX content they wouldn't be doing PAX anymore.

but everyone does show up and everyone does watch it in the end.

get over it

Boy, I'm sure glad PAX exists... look at all this amazing content we have got this week and coming up!

Just a reminder that Giant Bomb doesn't tear down the studio and have to rebuild it for PAX.

It's also a day off Monday so next week would end up having a little less content anyways, regardless of them traveling to and from PAX.

Because we're missing a single random East stream and UPF that the majority fo the thread just whinges about anyway?

I think he's joking about the Waypoint + Jeff froggy mouths.

kingocfs

well if they didn't have such a good turnout and everyone didn't watch the PAX content they wouldn't be doing PAX anymore.

but everyone does show up and everyone does watch it in the end.

get over it

I was one of those people last PAX East. Their panel is a fun time, especially drunk.

Top Bottom