• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Protome

I like Yakuza a lot, hell I just picked up Kiwami this morning, but Dan's not at fault there.

To call the combat mechanics "archaic" would be a compliment, and it can be easy to doze off when a good portion of the cut-scenes are comprised of static PS2 character models and walls upon walls of text.

I only got into the Yakuza series with 0 after failing to with 3 and 4 and giving up trying for years.

Calling the combat mechanics archaic would make literally no sense. They're simple for sure but that doesn't make them archaic. They're flashy and flow together real well and let you do some cool stuff and have just enough depth to let them ramp up the challenge in a natural way throughout the game (at least in Yakuza 0.) I can understand complaining about them being too simple, but archaic? The combat is a damn sight better than most modern beat-em-ups.

I can relate on the story stuff (although PS2 era models? are you actually blind?) but Dan even said himself he liked the writing of the side stories. I think Dan was just a poor choice to have running this one, he is incapable of following any stories more complicated than a simplistic action movie and Yakuza 0 wasn't that and the moment he gets frustrated by a game he gets overly defensive about it and starts complaining that the game sucks.

I can relate on the story stuff (although PS2 era models? are you actually blind?)

you vs the guy she tells you not to worry about

kazuma-kiryu-yakuza-2-75.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

J_Viper

I only got into the Yakuza series with 0 after failing to with 3 and 4 and giving up trying for years.

Calling the combat mechanics archaic would make literally no sense. They're simple for sure but that doesn't make them archaic. They're flashy and flow together real well and let you do some cool stuff and have just enough depth to let them ramp up the challenge in a natural way throughout the game (at least in Yakuza 0.) I can understand complaining about them being too simple, but archaic? The combat is a damn sight better than most modern beat-em-ups.

I can relate on the story stuff (although PS2 era models? are you actually blind?) but Dan even said himself he liked the writing of the side stories. I think Dan was just a poor choice to have running this one, he is incapable of following any stories more complicated than a simplistic action movie and Yakuza 0 wasn't that and the moment he gets frustrated by a game he gets overly defensive about it and starts complaining that the game sucks.

The combat can look great at times, the melee finishers are especially amazing, but outside of that, my experience was mashing square and hoping I didn't get knocked down. I just don't think the combat feels as tight and responsive as something like Mordor

You're right though, Alex should have been driving the series from the start.

Regardless, I can't wait to play Kiwami, and I already have 6 pre-ordered.

Meneses

When the controls are stiff and unresponsive, and there are frustrating PS2 mechanics like being stunned and locked into attacks, I personally don't think so.

Being locked into attacks is a result of button mashing, and the player can stun enemies so it seems fair that they can do the same (and even then, not many enemies can do it).

I mean, at times Dan was literally moaning about simply being hit back by enemies.

He hardly ever used the dash / dodge (weirdly enough, he used it most often in the style that needs it the least: Beast).

It's no "Devil May Cry on the hardest difficulty level", but it's a decent combat system.

👌

Salarians

wanted to buy Zelda but almost every store in my area (Target, BB, and etc) was sold out, only one of four Gamestops had any left, weird

also I've been listening to the GB-guested episodes of The 1099 over the last few days and it's some really good stuff, Josiah is a very good interviewer

So many great games this year I havent played.

So many games I own in my backlog. Persona 5 still needs finishing. That Uncharted 4 story DLC. Neir. FFXII-HD. Those other 2 Crash Bandicoot games...

But I am here trying to 100% Jak and Daxter the precursor legacy

AkS5eza.png

Saw the Tacoma vid already, unfortunately, when it got posted by mistake on Youtube. It's a pretty cool video but also very spoiler filled so, just a heads up(Brad and Steve go over the game's story, older builds, mechanics, world.etc).

Top Bottom