• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

GvmGpdp.gif

More like the entire KH music. I've said it before and I'll say it again, people can shit on and rip the entire series to shreds but not the music.

I would defend the series but you're absolutely right on the music :). Some of the best music out there, could listen to it forever haha

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
While I wish this weren't the case that would be an awful idea.

Vinny should play it in some capacity though.

Nah, let Dan be there.

Except the gimmick is that Dan has to guess what every glossary word that comes up is before they go in to see the glossary explanation.

It'll be terrible and great.

Speaking of Steins;Gate, it took 15 fucking hours to get to this point and I don't think it will ever be able to "justify" that fact, but I'm finally starting to enjoy it, lol. Spiraling into crazy sci-fi bullshit in all the best ways.

I can't even begin to imagine just how much Dan would hate it. I feel like I need to see it.

Demption

Roger Ebert once famously declared that video games can never be art, both because the intervention of a player robs an artist of their authorial control and because, more fundamentally, no game to date had managed to make any of us "more cultured, civilized and empathetic." Though Ebert eventually walked back his original position as overly rigid, Hellblade strikes me as a game that inches closer to meeting his original high bar, and I wish he'd lived to see it. It's a game whose many elements speak with one voice to address a subject and tell a story that has the potential to deeply touch those who identify firsthand with its themes, and if this game doesn't leave you feeling more civilized and empathetic toward those themes by the end of it, it's hard to imagine the game that can.
Brad's review is on point. I totally see flaws in Hellblade but i really think it is my GOTY so far. The way it tells the story and handles the theme is superb.

Antiwhippy

Speaking of Steins;Gate, it took 15 fucking hours to get to this point and I don't think it will ever be able to "justify" that fact, but I'm finally starting to enjoy it, lol. Spiraling into crazy sci-fi bullshit in all the best ways.

I can't even begin to imagine just how much Dan would hate it. I feel like I need to see it.

The buildup is a buildup for a reason.

Also he's making others play mario sunshine, they should strap him to a chair for steins;gate.

What part are you at?

Mr. F

Banned
I kind of hope they play galaxy 2 after sunshine, if they choose to continue the premise in some way. Would be a pretty rewarding contrast in terms of control.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kind of hope they play galaxy 2 after sunshine, if they choose to continue the premise in some way. Would be a pretty rewarding contrast in terms of control.

please, this thread won't know what to do when they complain about it being dated

daveo42

Banned
The SMS run was another amazing time. I need that Dan audition video.

The KH thing tho...I get the joke, but the episode was real boring and the joke they are running with is bad. Just flat out bad. Maybe it mirrors the game because that is bad. Is that the real joke? The signposting does show its age as an early PS2 game with that early fetch quest.

"What's a large hadron collider... Is it a time travel thing?"

They should do a series where Dan plays Steins;gate.

Not sure how well a VN ER would go because there's no real gameplay. While I'd watch it for the reactions, most would find the whole thing very boring. Dan included.

Not sure how well a VN ER would go because there's no real gameplay. While I'd watch it for the reactions, most would find the whole thing very boring. Dan included.

It wouldn't work at all. A game about reading text with Japanese only audio? Wouldn't even work for a quick look.

abby getting drunk off two 40s is hilarious, I guess shes pretty small and all that but I am definitely looking forward to seeing battle royale again like this

Never had a forty, but surely 2 of them would be enough to get the majority of people drunk, no?

Assuming an Olde English is 8% ABV that's roughly equivalent to drinking a pint of an 80 proof alcohol, which is at least going to get a person buzzed. If a person drinks semi regularly I could see that not being enough.

Antiwhippy

I had the exact same thoughts when I busted out my PS3 for the exact same game. :p

Like holy crap the fishing minigame with those sticks...

daveo42

Banned
Speaking of Nier, I am loving the soundtrack similarities between it and Automata.

I had the exact same thoughts when I busted out my PS3 for the exact same game. :p

Like holy crap the fishing minigame with those sticks...

I'm surprised I played anything with sticks these loose. And the mushy triggers. It all feels so wrong.

Xater

"This game is totally ok, but I can't say I have any desire to play more of it."

Thank you for summing up Lawbreakers for me Jeff.

My biggest problem with Hellblade thus far is how horrendously slow you move in the puzzle sections. Even when "running" it feels about half as fast as it should.

patapuf

What i've seen of the gameplay really puts me off Hellblade, but hearing everyone rave about how it handles mental illness and well executed cutscenes makes me interested still.

It's short, so i may give it a go anyway.

Hasney

What i've seen of the gameplay really puts me off Hellblade, but hearing everyone rave about how it handles mental illness and well executed cutscenes makes me interested still.

Yeah, even Brad on the Bombcast said he was a little bored of what he's actually doing, but the rest of it is done so well.

I'll give it a miss. I assumed I'd like any of Ninja Theories previous games, but they decided to make action games and botch the combat of them every time.

Xater

Same, but I'll wait for a sale. Or maybe I'll just watch a Let's Play.

I've never been one to really think about reviews too much. In fact, I kinda hate reviews because I don't really think they serve a purpose anymore at all. A quicklook of a game conveys much more about what the game is actually like and how it looks and feels and general performance too. A review doesn't really inform anyone of a purchase anymore, and scores are basically pointless other than just giving fanboys something to argue with more than anything else.

I never understood why Giant Bomb would keep "reviewing" games in this day and age. But after reading Brad's latest review, I kinda get it. It just is more of a nice wrap of up what the entire experience of the game was like, being able to sit down and form a very well thought out essay of sorts to what that game felt like playing though. I like that they have taken a much more laidback approach to reviewing, only reviewing games they actually want to and like. I'm actually excited to go back and read more reviews. I really like Brad and Jeff's writing styles.

- J - D -

I will play Hellblade now. Thanks, Brad.

Assuming an Olde English is 8% ABV that's roughly equivalent to drinking a pint of an 80 proof alcohol, which is at least going to get a person buzzed. If a person drinks semi regularly I could see that not being enough.

OE isn't even 8% ABV. It comes in 6% and 7.5% varieties and the former is much more common. Kinda sad for a 40, honestly.

Has GB stuck exclusively with Olde English for Film & 40s? They should branch out and try "better" hobo beers.

Mine was Mickey's back when I was an afternoon drunk. Or sometimes Colt 45 if I could find it.

Antiwhippy

I've never been one to really think about reviews too much. In fact, I kinda hate reviews because I don't really think they serve a purpose anymore at all. A quicklook of a game conveys much more about what the game is actually like and how it looks and feels and general performance too. A review doesn't really inform anyone of a purchase anymore, and scores are basically pointless other than just giving fanboys something to argue with more than anything else.

I never understood why Giant Bomb would keep "reviewing" games in this day and age. But after reading Brad's latest review, I kinda get it. It just is more of a nice wrap of up what the entire experience of the game was like, being able to sit down and form a very well thought out essay of sorts to what that game felt like playing though. I like that they have taken a much more laidback approach to reviewing, only reviewing games they actually want to and like. I'm actually excited to go back and read more reviews. I really like Brad and Jeff's writing styles.

Except for Dan who seems to still review it like a consumer advice review.

I hope they don't. Based on how awful they were at Sunshine, I couldn't watch them shit on my favourite game of all time.

Tunoku

I mostly live for Alex's writing these days. GIVE ME MORE!

Top Bottom