• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

You guys think Nioh will get any significant acknowledgement on GOTY? I'm playing through it right now and it's pretty good. However I think most of the guys haven't played a significant amount so I feel like it will get sidelined in the discussions.

It won't. I have the game and I enjoyed what I played of it but I need to go back because Yakuza 0 got its hooks in me and I forgot all about Nioh lol.
Brad's Hellblade review is up. Reviews on GB are a rarity these days, and reading Brad's take has me interested in Hellblade. Too bad my backlog is enormous.

That was a beautiful review. I am very excited to jump into this game later today.
Or maybe they should just make the game they want to make, without kowtowing to people's expectations that they should make another character action game. The combat system is fine in the game, if it lacks anything that is because of the extremely limited budget not an inherent failure in design.

It depends on what you're looking for in the end, for me I acknowledge stuff like soundtrack, story, mood, atmosphere.etc and these play a big part in the overall package for me. For some, they want the gameplay to be the standout instead of everything else and that's fair.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It ain't a joke to me man!

Nah for real though with like actual hentai games coming out on steam now that doesn't even seem that egregious anymore.

Oh man, with this much anticipated railgun shooter finally coming out on steam VR I hope jeff does a vrodeo soon.

Steam link

bD1b6kn.gif

That beginning of the trailer is a classic.

tuxfool

Banned
It depends on what you're looking for in the end, for me I acknowledge stuff like soundtrack, story, mood, atmosphere.etc and these play a big part in the overall package for me. For some, they want the gameplay to be the standout instead of everything else and that's fair.

I get that. But that isn't the game that they were pitching. It may have been in the beginning, but if you followed their documentaries the game evolved from that.

Saying "hire platinum" is misunderstanding the game that they made, both from a production and a design standpoint. This game was made with 20 odd developers, outsourcing the game to a foreign developer is way beyond what their budget could handle, and the combat isn't really much like a character action game.

Jintor

DmC plays pretty darn well IMO.

everything except the colour coded enemies is alright, but the fucking colour coding is worse than bayo parry-almost-every-attack enemies.

anyway, did anybody order some jpn hitmans

they did a really good job with finding a handler as composed as diana, though I guess it's kind of just a newscaster voice

Xater

everything except the colour coded enemies is alright, but the fucking colour coding is worse than bayo parry-almost-every-attack enemies.

anyway, did anybody order some jpn hitmans

they did a really good job with finding a handler as composed as diana, though I guess it's kind of just a newscaster voice

No, all I want is Season 2. When IO?

I get that. But that isn't the game that they were pitching. It may have been in the beginning, but if you followed their documentaries the game evolved from that.

Saying "hire platinum" is misunderstanding the game that they made, both from a production and a design standpoint. This game was made with 20 odd developers, outsourcing the game to a foreign developer is way beyond what their budget could handle, and the combat isn't really much like a character action game.

I agree. Then again when it comes to Ninja Theory I already know what to expect. I am always into their characters and worlds except for DmC where the gameplay is obviously the thing they focused on the most and it was fine. But what I remember the most after all that time has passed are games like Heavenly Sword & Enslaved.

Jintor

i think i might be going slowly crazy but i have spent the last two days thinking about my budgeting app You Need A Budget and how I should break down my budget and how to reconcile it with my bank monies

i think doing my tax return finally made me realise oh hey you actually earn money now and need to decide how it's spent on things and now i've gone mad

i mean i've been budgeting for like a year but i feel like something in my head flipped and now i gotta figure out how this shit actually works

Meneses

My dream scenario for the XCom feature would be 2 commanders doing their separate runs during the week and then on friday the third one would do it live with everyone in attendance.

But it seems to be 1 per week, which is less than ideal.

Antiwhippy

i think i might be going slowly crazy but i have spent the last two days thinking about my budgeting app You Need A Budget and how I should break down my budget and how to reconcile it with my bank monies

i think doing my tax return finally made me realise oh hey you actually earn money now and need to decide how it's spent on things and now i've gone mad

i mean i've been budgeting for like a year but i feel like something in my head flipped and now i gotta figure out how this shit actually works

Just be like me and spend as much as i want as long as i can still survive while having a pretty solid "buffer savings" so that I'll still be alright if shit goes down.

That's how budgeting works right?

Jintor

Just be like me and spend as much as i want as long as i can still survive while having a pretty solid "buffer savings" so that I'll still be alright if shit goes down.

i mean i spent 700 bucks on computer hardware and didn't blink because i'd actually budgeted towards it and that was weirdly refreshing

like i wasn't 'raiding' my savings account or anything, i'd already budgeted the money, so it was fine

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brad's reviews continue the long standing tradition of reading like they are one to two full stars lower than the score he gives the game.

He really does not know how to sell his enthusiasm.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, I say if it's your first year of full employment splurge a little because you got the rest of your life to worry about budgets.

I barely had any savings after my first year.

BTA

I went right from college to a well paying actual adult real job in the past few months so I'm living the Antiwhippy life right now out of not knowing how to deal with it, but should probably look into YNAB and then wince at how much money I waste each week.

LiK

Brad's reviews continue the long standing tradition of reading like they are one to two full stars lower than the score he gives the game.

He really does not know how to sell his enthusiasm.

I think Dan is the only guy who is super enthusiastic about anything he loves. Everyone else always sounds lukewarm even if they love a game.

Jintor

I dunno, I say if it's your first year of full employment splurge a little because you got the rest of your life to worry about budgets.

I barely had any savings after my first year.

well technically it's my third but because i spent the first two basically in permanent 'being paid in yen isn't actually real money' mode i'm treating it like my first

The buildup is a buildup for a reason.

Also he's making others play mario sunshine, they should strap him to a chair for steins;gate.

I'm assuming a lot of stuff from the early hours will be recontextualized by the end (and I still expect at least some of the character quirks I hate to have Reasons for existing), but even so, they could have covered all the same beats in at least half the time. I think it's more of an editing problem for me than anything else. It dragged in a way that reminded me of really early movies, lingering at the end of scenes to show characters specifically entering/leaving the room before they realized audiences could still follow along if they simply cut to the next thing after the 'meat' of the scene had ended.

(It's also entirely possible that most VNs are paced this way and it just isn't for me; I've only played stuff like Zero Escape and Danganronpa. Which reminds me, I still need to play the 'remastered' 999.)

What part are you at?

Chapter... 6? I forget if the chapters turned over. But
Suzuka just explained the whole "We have to escape Attractor Field Alpha" thing

Antiwhippy

If I'm going to guess which character traits is the one you hate I'm going to say kinda yes?

It kinda does do some recontextualisation as a story telling method but not really that much. It's more about the ride along the way really. It's not anywhere near nier automata levels.

Also, speaking of recontextualisation as a story telling device, once you're done with steins;gate may I recommend the house in fata morgana? I feel like it'll be way more up your road.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I feel like the hellblade review read more like a 5 star honestly.

edit: Wrote this before I had to leave for work and didn't actually want to submit because I didn't explain myself well and it was shittier than intended, rewriting a clearer point later when I have a break

I am so happy that Brad reviewed Hellblade. What an amazing game. I echo everything he said in his review, but probably would have given it a perfect score. It’s my GOTY by far. PLAY THIS GAME.

I right went from college to a well paying actual adult real job in the past few months so I'm living the Antiwhippy life right now out of not knowing how to deal with it, but should probably look into YNAB and then wince at how much money I waste each week.

Same, I just moved across the country last week to start my post-college job, except it doesn't start until next Monday and in the meantime I'm sitting here dropping thousands on furniture and initial apartment fees with technically 0 income. My budget software is constantly like "uhhh are you sure about this one, bud?"

robotrock

Banned
Man Dragon Quest 11 looks so dope, I hope I'm still alive when it's localized in 7 years

It's been officially announced for next year I think, so it should happen? Unsure if Dragon Quest has a history of taking too long to localize though.

I've never played one of these games but pretty excited to check out XI when it comes out. Bought 8 for the 3DS so I'll mess with that

What do those budget apps do, exactly? Do you input every expenditure into it? I recently redid my budget in preparation for buying a car next year, and maybe I should have done so with an app.

Top Bottom