• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Wait. So a
new race
will be DLC?

Remember how Taken King had a
totally and completely new race you guys for real
? Probably gonna be like that.

In the sense that you fight. Hopefully it's good.

TBF, I'm on the side that Destiny 2 feels like a WoW sized expansion and not a sequel, there just isn't alot of things new outside of content, and that content is comparable to say, Legion for WoW

Joeku

I'm sure it's been said, but it's what Destiny 1 should have been. The brief class stories should have each introduced the three Vanguards, because it would kind of make some sense there, versus the non-introduction everything had in the first game.

Nothing introduced added anything to anything. It was like an exercise in pointlessness. Even the late-game suggestions at character development in the supporting cast or antagonist were just shunted in the face of video game shit. The entire conceit of the game "We all lost our Light (EXCEPT FOR THE GUARDIAN WHO GOT IT BACK TEN MINUTES INTO THE GAME AND ALSO EVERYONE THEY MEET ACROSS THE FOUR WORLDS THEY DO MISSIONS ACROSS) and we're all super fucked you guys, for real,
until we take everything back in a cutscene but it's totally okay because we paid Blur to do that cutscene and it's like $1m a minute so that's gotta be worth it, right?"

danm999

It struck me today watching Steal My Sunshine how samey all the levels are. Seriously compared to 64, Galaxy 1 and 2 and what we've already seen of Odyssey it basically all a single tropical palette. It's boring.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
GAME OF THE YEAR

or

SECOND-BEST GAME OF THE YEAR

I can't wait to hear them say it's just another Mario game while handing a mod-turned-game GOTY.

Dan's sunsine gambit ensured that the East coast will hate odyssey, thus giving him more leverage for pubg winning.

Sakwoff

GAME OF THE YEAR

or

SECOND-BEST GAME OF THE YEAR

I can't wait to hear them say it's just another Mario game while handing a mod-turned-game GOTY.

It's the same thing over and over again which is only a problem if the thing isn't shooting dudes or collecting loot.

Hasney

There almost needs to be a separate Best Song category instead of just the full soundtracks.

1-Up Girl Vs. Nier A Carnival Theme Vs. Life Will Change

oti

Banned
It's the same thing over and over again which is only a problem if the thing isn't shooting dudes or collecting loot.
So true. But seeing Dan's absolute nonsense excuse for putting PUBG on the top spot we shouldn't expect any better from them I suppose.

Where? What?

basically

zelda is his game of the forever BUT

because he doesn't constantly have fun with it

it's not his game of the year

And that's fine tbh. Zelda is a game that defines a generation, unfortunately it's not the most fun game out there. It's Picasso to a fun Concert. You can appreciate and enjoy looking at the Picasso, but the fun at a concert with your friends will eclipse that any time. But no worries, the Picasso will still be there.

Meguro

Banned
Actually his justification was just that he spent more hours on PUBG and plays that all throughout the year.
That's it. Which wouldn't be a problem if he hadn't called Zelda his game of all time right after.

robotrock

Banned
Zelda is a game that defines a generation, unfortunately it's not the most fun game out there. It's Picasso to a fun Concert. You can appreciate and enjoy looking at the Picasso, but the fun at a concert with your friends will eclipse that any time. But no worries, the Picasso will still be there.

Rainmaker

Banned
Breath of The Wild lost it's shine for me really fast. I loved how all of the mechanics worked together so tightly. The art style was beautiful. Initially the exploration was a wonder. It's an amazing idea but god I got so tired of doing shrines and outside of a few things I never felt like my exploration was being rewarded properly? It's hard to put into words

Rainmaker

Banned
Anyways I guess what I'm trying to say above is -

Zelda is a game that defines a generation, unfortunately it's not the most fun game out there. It's Picasso to a fun Concert. You can appreciate and enjoy looking at the Picasso, but the fun at a concert with your friends will eclipse that any time. But no worries, the Picasso will still be there.

Antiwhippy

You mean it's not normal to have picasso appreciation nights once a week?

Huh.

hamchan

Dan can use whatever justification he wants since we all know GB GOTY is mostly nonsense and bullshit but fun nonsense and bullshit we all listen to.

Also on this topic and relistened to 2016 GOTY casts and I'm glad Witcher 3 got recognition as the Old Game of the Year. Thank god Vinny put like 200 into it that year so Dan couldn't deny it like he tried very hard to in 2015.

I say again; I wish I got PUBG.

Absolutely nothing about Destiny appeals to me, but the guys have at least articulated why they enjoy it (yeah, the shooting feeling good is a daft little meme, but it is at least instructive). PUBG, though... I don't fundamentally understand why it's hooked so many people, or why it's consumed the site in the way it has. From the outside, and from what little I've actually played of it, I see very little new that it's brought to the table, and I just find myself totally baffled by it.

Xater

Looks like the honeymoon period with Destiny 2 is ending quickly. I finally decided to just skip it. If they do like a collection down the line like with the first one, that's probably a better point to consider it.

Breath of The Wild lost it's shine for me really fast. I loved how all of the mechanics worked together so tightly. The art style was beautiful. Initially the exploration was a wonder. It's an amazing idea but god I got so tired of doing shrines and outside of a few things I never felt like my exploration was being rewarded properly? It's hard to put into words

That's because all the exploration will ever lead to is a shrine or a korok seed. Every time. Oh you found a really awesome maze? There's a shrine at the end, and maybe a weapon you can use to fight 2 guys before it breaks. Cool. "The journey is its own reward" only works up to a point in a 80-hour videogame.

Antiwhippy

That's because all the exploration will ever lead to is a shrine or a korok seed. Every time. Oh you found a really awesome maze? There's a shrine at the end, and maybe a weapon you can use to fight 2 guys before it breaks. Cool.

I mean any reward in any game is ultimately meaningless.

Any reward in life is also ultimately meaningless when looked at in the context of eternity.

derFeef

That's because all the exploration will ever lead to is a shrine or a korok seed. Every time. Oh you found a really awesome maze? There's a shrine at the end, and maybe a weapon you can use to fight 2 guys before it breaks. Cool. "The journey is its own reward" only works up to a point in a 80-hour videogame.

What if there would be achievements for shrines?

Catvoca

Banned
I'm glad I stopped playing Zelda after finishing it and doing like ~80 shrines. I think I would have burnt out on it if I had have played more. Instead it still feels really special to me.

Antiwhippy

In botw anything you encountered first gives you a sense of "whao".

But then you have to repeat them.

Looking at you, combat shrines.

Looks like the honeymoon period with Destiny 2 is ending quickly. I finally decided to just skip it. If they do like a collection down the line like with the first one, that's probably a better point to consider it.

Destiny seems like it slightly iterates on itself with each release/DLC. So I'll just wait and play the final version just before Destiny 3 is released. That way it will have all the content, less bullshit filler and if it's anything like Destiny 1 then your light level doesn't mean shit when a new expansion comes out anyways.

Antiwhippy

I mean for a guy who docked points in his reviews just because he thinks the games had little value due to the playtime (capitan todd), it totally makes sense for him to think that botw is better than pubg but pubg is still his goty.

"You pay $30 and get hundreds of hours of collecting all the scopes you can!?"

Dan is a man about value.

I mean for a guy who docked points in his reviews just because he thinks the games had little value due to the playtime (capitan todd), it totally makes sense for him to think that botw is better than pubg but pubg is still his goty.

"You pay $30 and get hundreds of hours of collecting all the scopes you can!?"

Dan is a man about value.

I would also put PUBG as my GOTY if my team did all the work while I reaped the rewards of solo looting. But he is a man of value... that 2x helmet is worth more on the market than a revived teammate!

love you Dan

patapuf

In botw anything you encountered first gives you a sense of "whao".

But then you have to repeat them.

Looking at you, combat shrines.

Yeah, That's how i feel too.

I think BotW was a bit too bite sized for me. Lot's of very neat moments but not much beyond that. There's very few of them that actually stuck with me.

I liked the divinte beasts though, so maybe i'm wierd.

Zaph

The new DNB podcast is a struggle. Had to throw in the towel at the really awkward ISIS part.

If they're going to keep the podcast going, it needs to be recorded from East's office - Abby carries the show and that's not possible over Skype.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, That's how i feel too.

I think BotW was a bit too bite sized for me. Lot's of very neat moments but not much beyond that. There's very few of them that actually stuck with me.

I liked the divinte beasts though, so maybe i'm wierd.

Tbf a lot of the shrines are pretty unique. I really like the environmental ones. Those are still some of the most memorable parts of the game to me.

But the game didn't need 120 shrines. It didn't justify the number.

oti

Banned
Tbf a lot of the shrines are pretty unique. I really like the environmental ones. Those are still some of the most memorable parts of the game to me.

Eh, that's an odd thing criticise. You don't need to finish all shrines to finish the game. It's 100% take it or leave it.

patapuf

Yeah the environmental shrines are (mostly) great.

I mean, i liked Botw quite a bit. Just not in a "favourite game of all time" kind of way .

Eh, that's an odd thing criticise. You don't need to finish all shrines to finish the game. It's 100% take it or leave it.

Why? They're there. They're in the game. And a fair amount of them are just filler, like all the combat shrines and the "hey congrats on finding this shrine" shrines. They're fair to criticize. Something isn't immune from criticism because it's easy to ignore.

BTA

I don't think I'll end up doing all shrines in Zelda even if I want to; I don't think I even have half of them. I already play it like once a month, if that, at this point, but all I really want to do is just finish up getting the memories, get the master sword (+ do the trials DLC), and then fight Ganon.

Top Bottom