• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

oti

Banned
Why? They're there. They're in the game. And a fair amount of them are just filler, like all the combat shrines and the "hey congrats on finding this shrine" shrines. They're fair to criticize. Something isn't immune from criticism because it's easy to ignore.

"There are too many optional shrines" is odd to criticise. That some of them are bad is objectively true.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, that's an odd thing criticise. You don't need to finish all shrines to finish the game. It's 100% take it or leave it.

I mean my problem is specifically that I didn't exactly get all the shrines or even aimed to do that and I still ran into a fair bit of repeat shrines.

The nature of the game means that I might be unlucky in this case but yeahhhhhhh.

But like I've said, a lot of the shrines are unique and range from good to awesome. I just don't think they need the filler. The korok seeds already act as filler anyway.

"There are too many optional shrines" is odd to criticise. That some of them are bad is objectively true.

If some of them are "objectively" bad then it follows that there are too many shrines (they could have taken out the bad ones or made them better in which case no one would complain that there are too many, if they're all good) and therefore that's a fair criticism.

oti

Banned
I mean my problem is specifically that I didn't exactly get all the shrines and I still ran into a fair bit of repeat shrines.

I mean the nature of the game means that I might be unlucky in this case but yeahhhhhhh.

But like I've said, a lot of the shrines are unique and range from good to awesome. I just don't think they need the filler. The korok seeds already act as filler anyway.

That's fair. I saw the shrines as "I've got 20 minutes, so I could finish some of them". I didn't complete all the shrines, though. I'd rather wait for the DLC to go back to the game.

If some of them are "objectively" bad then it follows that there are too many shrines (they could have taken out the bad ones or made them better in which case no one would complain that there are too many, if they're all good) and therefore that's a fair criticism.

Sure. If you want to criticise the game for not being a 100% super tight experience that's fair. I still think that's odd, since these duplicate shrines don't bother you if you just ignore them. And the game doesn't punish you for ignoring them either.

I can't describe just how much I love stupid shit like this in Destiny. Hope they continue to introduce more opportunities for this kind of thing in the social areas.
It's probably the most human thing about that game. Had it yesterday in the background while I worked on stuff.
I'm sure it's been said, but it's what Destiny 1 should have been. The brief class stories should have each introduced the three Vanguards, because it would kind of make some sense there, versus the non-introduction everything had in the first game.

Nothing introduced added anything to anything. It was like an exercise in pointlessness. Even the late-game suggestions at character development in the supporting cast or antagonist were just shunted in the face of video game shit. The entire conceit of the game "We all lost our Light (EXCEPT FOR THE GUARDIAN WHO GOT IT BACK TEN MINUTES INTO THE GAME AND ALSO EVERYONE THEY MEET ACROSS THE FOUR WORLDS THEY DO MISSIONS ACROSS) and we're all super fucked you guys, for real,
until we take everything back in a cutscene but it's totally okay because we paid Blur to do that cutscene and it's like $1m a minute so that's gotta be worth it, right?"

Right? I think the quest for LOOTS is blinding a lot of people and I kind of don't blame them. The game knows exactly what it is all about and doesn't shy away from it. I like LOOT but I don't care for it so it's hard for me to care about the game itself when its attention is mostly focused on such things.
Looks like the honeymoon period with Destiny 2 is ending quickly. I finally decided to just skip it. If they do like a collection down the line like with the first one, that's probably a better point to consider it.

Absolutely. It doesn't even take long to reach level 20. You could do it in 2 or so days. Even less if you just want to finish the campaign. Sure, there are light levels but if you don't care for doing such post content or you have no friends who are interested in the game then it won't be relevant to you.

patapuf

You don't really know what kind of shrine you'll get in advance though. If you are unlucky, you get a few shitty ones in a row (or really good ones).

I don't even think their number is a problem really and they are quite diverse even if some are filler. My issue is more that they are pretty much the the only "meaty" things to do in the overworld that i like (memories were ok too).

NPC quests, Korok seeds, most of the combat challenges ect. did nothing for me.

oti

Banned
You don't really know what kind of shrine you'll get in advance though. If you are unlucky, you get a few shitty ones in a row (or really good ones).

I don't even think their number is a problem really and they are quite diverse even if some are filler. My issue is more that they are pretty much the the only "meaty" things to do in the overworld that i like (memories were ok too).

NPC quests, Korok seeds, most of the combat challenges ect. did nothing for me.
Yeah, I can see that. For me finding and traversing to the shrine was an achievement in itself. Even if the shrine itself sucked.
OMG the voiceacting in this xenoblade chronicles 2 showcase.

The games looks fun though.
Why's that game so complicated? It releases 6 weeks before Ni No Kuni 2, so I'll skip it anyway. Ni no Kuni is more important.

And that girl's design is atrocious.

I was just looking at the XBL store and wtf is this game

Maize is a first-person adventure game about what happens when two scientists misinterpret a memo from the U.S. Government and create sentient corn. And that last sentence is pretty much the least ridiculous thing about the game.

I think I'm gonna get it during Christmas.

Hasney

Why's that game Wo complicated? It releases 6 weeks before Ni No Kuni 2, so I'll skip it anyway. Ni no Kuni is more important.

Xenoblade before Ni No Kuni for me. Even with it's faults, I preferred XCX over NNK, although I love them both.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I can see that. For me finding and traversing to the shrine was an achievement in itself. Even if the shrine itself sucked.

Why's that game so complicated? It releases 6 weeks before Ni No Kuni 2, so I'll skip it anyway. Ni no Kuni is more important.

At least Xeno 2 has the element of surprise for me.

I already know I'm going to be bored by a ni no kuni game.

Hindl

OMG the voiceacting in this xenoblade chronicles 2 showcase.

The games looks fun though.
Yeah it's a damn shame but eh

The Xeno series has always had slightly complicated MMO combat, that's actually what I like about it. They do ratchet it up here tho, but the games are really good at letting you set up chains and combos that are really satisfying to pull off. And they give you enough different moves that you don't settle into a rotation

oti

Banned
Xenoblade before Ni No Kuni for me. Even with it's faults, I preferred XCX over NNK, although I love them both.
Played the first Xenoblade on Wii for 20h and just stopped. Too much for me. Skipped XCX entirely. Xeno 2 looks way better now than it did at its unveiling. But Xeno 2 and NNK2 in the span of two months would be way too much for me. NNK2 is a definitive day 1 purchase. I'll check out Xeno 2 at a later date.
At least Xeno 2 has the element of surprise for me.

I already know I'm going to be bored by a ni no kuni game.
But it's so cute! And there are weird RTS elements or something.

Meguro

Banned
Xenoblade 2 looked baaaaaaaaaaaad in that showing but these games always demo terribly.
I loved Xenoblade 1 and found X to be merely ok so I'm hoping for the best.

Antiwhippy

I must say Odyssey is weirdly appealing in ways that most mario games aren't to me. This showcase really captures the feeling of exploring the world.

Hasney

They've already shown too much of Mario and they said they were going to show more. I hope it's a dedicated Direct for it because I need to black it out.

BotW is definitely a GOTG for me. I haven't had that kind of wonder, from any game, since I was a kid. Exploring was amazing, it really made me want to see every little thing in the world. It definitely has flaws (what doesn't) but even in thus crazy year it's easily my GOTY.

That voice acting in the xeno 2 trailer was bad but I'm pretty hyped for the game. Played like 80 hours of xeno 1 and really enjoyed it. That was the first game that made me actively mad it was a wii game. I wanted to see those cool environments in HD haha. I bought X but never got around to playing it... At this point think I may as well just wait for xeno 2 and just play that instead.

I mean, Destiny 2 seems great and all, but Game of the Year in 2017? Year that Yakuza 0, Nier, Persona 5, Nioh and fucking Breath of the Wild got released? Like, are you kidding me?

hamchan

Played around 50 hours of Zelda, beat Ganon and have no desire to play more after that.

That 50 hours already made it one of the best games of the generation for me. Why would I want to play more by aiming for 100%, get tired of playing the game when I already felt done, and ruin that good feeling?

Harpuia

I mean, Destiny 2 seems great and all, but Game of the Year in 2017? Year that Yakuza 0, Nier, Persona 5, Nioh and fucking Breath of the Wild got released? Like, are you kidding me?

Listen here buddy, only one of those games has good shooting in it.

Also c'mon you know what would get picked amongst that line up.

If you added PUBG, things might be interesting though.

But we can't because it's unfinished or something.

oti

Banned
Played around 50 hours of Zelda, beat Ganon and have no desire to play more after that.

That 50 hours already made it one of the best games of the generation for me. Why would I want to play more by aiming for 100%, get tired of playing the game when I already felt done, and ruin that good feeling?

I had a lot of fun finding secret shrines after I beat Ganon. But the moment I looked up how to farm dragon horns I knew I was done with the game.

GOTY easy.

Harpuia

The more I think about it, if I operated on the metric that most of the bomb crew did, I would probably put down Xcom 2 and War of the Chosen as my personal number 1.

The heart wants what it wants.

I tend to think of goty as a respected position for a game to hold. It's the symbolic victory more than than anything, and I think Jeff sees it that way the most. His thoughts about goty are most apparent in the year they gave Mario Maker the victory. I think he really saw a benefit to rewarding, in as much as he personally can through his website, what he thought a good game was and can be. Even if it missed most of the marks of wanted to hit.

swimbuff

Man I really wish I liked BotW as much as some of y'all do. I enjoyed my time with it (30 hours but I wonder if that includes rest mode?) but I pretty much bounced off off it after the first dungeon. There was nothing really to drive me forward in that game. It's more like I was playing just for the sake of playing, and the playing part of it was the same from pretty much the beginning of the game until I was finished with it. Which I get is enough for a lot of people, but it isn't for me. I see where folks were coming from with that 'sense of wonder' though, it was like that for me for the first 10 hours maybe. It just wasn't enough to compel me to finish the game.

All of which is kind of a crazy thing for me to say because I've spent the most time with Elite: Dangerous on PS4 this year and that's even more of a 'playing just for the sake of playing' type of game. Except you're in a fucking spaceship so it's automatically better.

daveo42

Banned
I caught the direct super late last night and kind of skipped through bits of it.

Octopath looks amazing. Hopefully the story the team tells this time around is much improved over Bravely Default. Same with pacing and world-hopping.
Odyssey looks more like Sunshine the more I look at it, but not in a bad way. Like if Sunshine had a camera that worked and well-designed levels. Hopefully Cappy is much more useful in all situations and less of a pain to control than Fludd.
Bethesda bringing DOOM and Wolfenstein to the Switch seems insane to me. Curious how well they run/look on the system.
Atlus will probably make 3DS games until Nintendo stops selling the system. Sad there wasn't any SMTV news.

I have like 2 2016 visual novels in my top 10.

Which ones?
Edit: NM, you covered that above.

Antiwhippy

^^^ see above.

Oh, oh, right, Fata was last year, gosh. I even played it last summer so I'm not sure how I could possibly forget about that.

In my case it's Code Realize and S;G 0.

I kinda want to put Subahibi on there too but I have... complicated feelings about it.

drabnon

I really love BoTW and it might be my game of the year. But I do wish there was more enemy variety. At a certain point in the game it feels like everything is a recolor. I also wish there were more optional bosses and secrets that didn't just lead to shrines. That is the game's biggest weakness to me. Once I realized that every secret, riddle, and challenge somehow led to a shrine, it dampened my excitement to explore.

Mr. F

Banned
The biggest bummer in Zelda is scoping out a shrine that takes some work to traverse to, only to find it's a fucking test of strength

I really love BoTW and it might be my game of the year. But I do wish there was more enemy variety. At a certain point in the game it feels like everything is a recolor.

This was crazy to me- with such a big catalogue of enemies to pull from it really does feel like there's maybe like... 10 in the game? Super disappointing to fight bokoblins endlessly.

Been throwing on Greg's old Skyrim Marathon in the background while I have my morning tea the last several mornings. It's a shame his Gamespot Oblivion marathon is seemingly gone forever.

KingKong

My biggest issue with BOTW is just how empty the overworld is. you have all those powers but how often did you use them outside of shrine puzzles and maybe fighting enemies?

swimbuff

Been listening to old Beastcasts and after a satisfying discussion about the interactivity of games and art, the Beastcrew get a special message from the Contradiction actors.

That was a magical time.

Stoze

Oh jeez, just saw Dan's "justification" for Zelda not being at the top of his list.

That... doesn't make any sense. At all.
What doesn't make sense about putting a game on top just because you spent the most time in it and it's popular over one that's tied for the greatest game you ever played and resonated so much with you that it made you cry?

edit: This post feels a tad mean-spirited in retrospect, I apologize. I legit think Dan's great and I'm interested to see how he picks his GotY come year's end.

BTA

Just tried to quickly narrow down what I've played this year into a list of the top 10 (with no particular order to it) and it's too hard. I played way too many excellent games this year.

Do you happen to know what episode that was?

You should be able to easily find just that bit on YouTube; I definitely relistened to it there recently.

Top Bottom