• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Which is kinda what I meant earlier.

Like at some point.

Brad or Jeff should just actually like sit down with Ben and do a series.

Mostly because they haven't actually done that in awhile.

Teddified

It's also a little unfair to compare Ben and Dan too, Dan had like years of experience of doing features at GI.

One would hope Jeff and Brad are easing and teaching Ben about stuff but who knows. I do agree they or ben should have went with a simpler series first to ease him in.

It's also a little unfair to compare Ben and Dan too, Dan had like years of experience of doing features at GI.

One would hope Jeff and Brad are easing and teaching Ben about stuff but who knows. I do agree they or ben should have went with a simpler series first to ease him in.

Tbf Drew was kinda the same, as in yeah he'd done QLs and brought games to UPF as well as being one of 3 for flight sims(A game he knew), but he had never lead a feature like he did MGScanlon. Especially a game he never had played before, and I feel it's probably one of the longer set of games he's played in years .

If Drew can do it, Ben can do. I believe in you Ben! Never give up! You're a lover, not a loser!

Seventy70

I would say that you have a point, but Abby is a counter example. As far as I know, she didn't have a lot of experience doing this kind of thing and picked it up like it was nothing. All it takes is being sincere and genuine. What I love about Abby is that she doesn't try to be funny. She expresses herself sincerely and that ends up being funny most of the time. Despite being so young, she doesn't really have any grating personally traits. It's a perfect example of what makes the GB Crew special in the gaming landscape.

I would say that you have a point, but Abby is a counter example. As far as I know, she didn't have a lot of experience doing this kind of thing and picked it up like it was nothing. All it takes is being sincere and genuine. What I love about Abby is that she doesn't try to be funny. She expresses herself sincerely and that ends up being funny most of the time. Despite being so young, she doesn't really have any grating personally traits. It's a perfect example of what makes the GB Crew special in the gaming landscape.

Counter counter-point-

Abby also joined GBEast, which unlike West, have been rife with features. That is, in terms of joining a group which is keen on doing new features, ideas, and easing their group mates in, Abby got the cream of the crop in that sense.

Not to hate on Brad and Jeff and Jason, but half of West doesn't seem interested in doing new features? Jeff is only one man, and Jason is soloing the whole production set up, and they both seem keen on doing features(Ranking of Fighters). Brad...I love Brad, but he's not doing alot feature wise. I assume it's because he's busy setting up meetings and what not.

Antiwhippy

But like I've said, GBEast does everything together.

It's probably easier in that environment compared to suddenly playing a game you learnt that you dislike and having no one senior to actually guide you.

danm999

Some of the limitations at GBEast probably lead to some of the positives.

They all have to be in features and engaged because their studio is a closet.

Nobody knows or understands what they do in their building so nobody drags them into meetings or shit like that.

They don't run into internet issues because their facilities give so little a crap about them they can just get their own."

Seventy70

Counter counter-point-

Abby also joined GBEast, which unlike West, have been rife with features. That is, in terms of joining a group which is keen on doing new features, ideas, and easing their group mates in, Abby got the cream of the crop in that sense.

Not to hate on Brad and Jeff and Jason, but half of West doesn't seem interested in doing new features? Jeff is only one man, and Jason is soloing the whole production set up, and they both seem keen on doing features(Ranking of Fighters). Brad...I love Brad, but he's not doing alot feature wise. I assume it's because he's busy setting up meetings and what not.

But like I've said, GBEast does everything together.

It's probably easier in that environment compared to suddenly playing a game you learnt that you dislike and having no one senior to actually guide you.

True. The West coast isn't the most well equipped at the moment. I respect Ben for putting in the effort and trying to get his legs.

When I look at game streaming and personalities, the problem that I notice most of the time is that they seem to live in their own heads. That's something even I can relate to. When you are in front of a group of people, the pressure is on because you want to make a good impression. It usually ends up working against you because you start to lack awareness. In order to actually be entertaining, you have to just pay attention and go with the flow. That's what I appreciate about GB. They do their thing, and if it ends up being funny, then it ends up being funny.

It's a tough situation because you can't "instruct" a person on how to be more natural. Being natural is more about what you don't do than what you do do. I hope Ben starts to feel more comfortable being himself. He really doesn't need to do anything more.

hamchan

Imagine if Dan, Alex and Vinny just let newbie Abby run her own video series of Nancy Drew games without giving her any onscreen support.

Imagine if Dan, Alex and Vinny just let newbie Abby run her own video series of Nancy Drew games without giving her any onscreen support.

If it was her and one of the GBEasters?

I'll be honest, it would probably work. One, she's actually played the game. Two, even if the other was disinterested, because we have Abby playing the role of the Straight Woman, the feature would work.

Ben is brave for tackling KH. That game tho, is an obtuse, archaic game. And with a gimmick like having a rotating chair that's always disinterested in the game it magnifies the bad parts of the feature.

Antiwhippy

I just want more brad content.

Like honestly my current greatest frustration with giantbomb is that brad seems to have been reduced to just podcast hosting and the occasional destiny burst.

Breaking brad is like my all time favorite series.

I just want more brad content.

Like honestly my current greatest frustration with giantbomb is that brad seems to have been reduced to just podcast hosting and the occasional destiny burst.

Breaking brad is like my all time favorite series.

We all want more Brad content

But Brad is beyond us

He is Destiny

oti

Banned
Let's form a prayer cycle and summon Brad.

🙏🙏🙏BRADTH OF THE WILD SWITCH🙏🙏🙏
🙏🙏🙏BRADBIDS AND MARIO🙏🙏🙏

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm just sayin, a Brad/Vinny Divinity 2 coop run could be I'm not even gonna finish this sentence

I've played a little more of The War of the Chosen and I can't wait until they move onto it.

I've also
*Lost intro*
played more War of
*Lost intro*
the Chosen.
*Lost intro*
It's really, really fucking good
*Lost intro*
I wonder if they will ever play it tho

*Lost intro*

No, not that Lost

Ok, people keep saying the reason West isn't good is because they are too busy and have meetings....What meetings are they in that takes up over 70% of their work week?

As far as we know, this is Giant Bomb's schedule of output.

Monday: Day off. They only semi-recently started doing a normal weekly Monday stream of Battlegrounds (2hrs)

Tuesday: 2-3hr Bombcast (Lately it feels like it's closer to 2 hours than the normal 3)

Wednesday: Sometimes a 2 hour stream/most times nothing

Thursday: maybe a QL or 2 (20ish mins lately)

Friday: UPF (2 hrs)

So if a work week of 40 hours is normal, they produce 9ish hours of content a week....

Can someone call in after the Bombcast and just ask nicely what is going on?

I'm done trying to figure out Giant Bomb, at this point from the last few months of output most of them clearly don't want to be there (every bombcast ends with them saying "we want to leave" or " lets get out of here", which used to seem like a joke before, but now it's quite apparent they actually want to stop podcasting.

GBWest needs a overhaul at this point. I used to be the biggest advocate for Giant Bomb, but the bombcast and UPF and everything West does at this point seems like a huge inconvenience for them and they appear to be going through the motions of everything. I'd rather them just take a couple months off, Figure out what the hell is going on with the streaming machines that cause them to literally have huge issues every time they want to do something and take a break to come up with at least one or two features since they do bare minimum. Every week GBEast has some new feature (usually playing awful games like Sunshine) but at least it's fun and new and constant.

GBWest has...... UPF.... and that's about it. Jeff says every few months that they have some new ideas in the works... and that's all we hear about it until a few months later he says they are working on new things again.

I love Giant Bomb, but the preceived apathy of the crew on the West coast and it's refusal to do anything different or new is just too much for me at this point. I think I'm going to take a break for GB content for a while and come back in a few months during Game of the Year deliberations. I've been a subscriber for years and my sub doesn't run out til 2020, but man, I'm just bummed out at what has happened to West... I really hope they just take some time off to change something up or come up with a way to just do something that makes them smile and enjoy work, because as it stands right now, It doesn't seem that way. Playing bad or boring games isn't fun. If each of them sat down for an hour or two and just played something that they really wanted to show off (not destiny or dota) every week, That'd be a billion times better than "shit unity game that just got released on steam 5 mins before we recorded".

Meh, I'm done ranting. I'm out of here for a few months, hopefully after Christmas and GOTY deliberations GB will seem fresh again. Giant Bomb is still the best gaming website out there and I'll be a subscriber for life..... but man, I just feel like they could be so much better than where they are at now and doesn't seem like that big of an issue to change a few small things to make it a billion times better than what we have now.

I'm at the point where I just don't really watch any GB West content in full. Besides the Bombcast but now Destiny 2 is out I'm not interested in that any more because they go too long with that game.

And that Kingdom Hearts feature is dreadful.

GBWest has...... UPF.... and that's about it. Jeff says every few months that they have some new ideas in the works... and that's all we hear about it until a few months later he says they are working on new things again.

normally I'd be with you ("we have big plans" seems to be the line every few months), but they've gotten a handful of new features off the ground lately

they're just, you know

I don't know what's worse: hearing Jeff perpetually talking about these plans they have, or that they have so far amounted to a post-Bombcast call-in show, Dota, and Kingdom Heartache

I'm at the point where I just don't really watch any GB West content in full. Besides the Bombcast but now Destiny 2 is out I'm not interested in that any more because they go too long with that game.

And that Kingdom Hearts feature is dreadful.

I'm at the point where I look at stuff with West in it and don't bother, because I know I won't enjoy any of it and the lone highlight of a two hour stream will invariably end up on a best-of

Jintor

I'm just sayin, a Brad/Vinny Divinity 2 coop run could be I'm not even gonna finish this sentence

I've also
*Lost intro*
played more War of
*Lost intro*
the Chosen.
*Lost intro*
It's really, really fucking good
*Lost intro*
I wonder if they will ever play it tho

*Lost intro*

No, not that Lost

*SCARE CHORDS*

*SINGLE LOST FOR SOME FUCKING REASON BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH THEY SPAWN IN PACKS OF EIGHT THE CUTSCENE ONLY DISPLAYS ONE AND YOU CAN'T SKIP IT*

fix ur game jake

I don't know what's worse: hearing Jeff perpetually talking about these plans they have, or that they have so far amounted to a post-Bombcast call-in show, Dota, and Kingdom Heartache

Jeff is either full of shit or complacent. Remember when he said he didn't want to commit to anything because people might not like it? Yet here we are. They're lucky East has initiative and ideas and is picking up the slack. I hardly watch anything from West anymore, even QLs.

Jeff is either full of shit or complacent. Remember when he said he didn't want to commit to anything because people might not like it?

They seem to like to come up with interesting ideas, then make excuses not to do them.

Didn't Jeff say he wanted to do a thing where he would go through every single NES game? What excuse would there be not to go through with that?

- J - D -

GBWest premium output:

PYXKViI.gif

Zaph

Dan's briefing is fantastic, he's so into his bullshit.

Which is kinda frustrating.

I don't even mean it out of malice, I genuinely love previous Brad series.

From last UPF:

Rorie "You going to stream building the new studio PC next week? Its tradition"
Brad "Ugh, I don't know" [shakes head and gives lame excuse about needing the PC to work]

That could have been a really cool live stream, but nope. Anyone expecting Brad in anything he's not dragged to is kidding themselves, he's checked out.

At this point, apart from Jeff's home streams, West just seems like a write off. Unless something drastic happens like Jeff firing everyone not named Rorie, I don't see it improving any time soon.

Rorie "You going to stream building the new studio PC next week? Its tradition"
Brad "Ugh, I don't know" [shakes head and gives lame excuse about needing the PC to work]

That could have been a really cool live stream, but nope. Anyone expecting Brad in anything he's not dragged to is kidding themselves, he's checked out.

We're talking about a dude who ducks out of the post-show for the podcast he hosts.

oti

Banned
I feel like we're really close to completing the Brad summoning ritual.

One thing's missing though.

Someone needs to ask it.

Someone needs to ask

#thequestion

To be fair, Brad probably takes off to take care of the archive of the Bombcast, but what's the excuse going to be when they have another producer who could take care of that for him so he could take part in the post-show?

Zaph

To be fair, Brad probably takes off to take care of the archive of the Bombcast, but what's the excuse going to be when they have another producer who could take care of that for him so he could take part in the post-show?

suddenly he'll want to start writing timestamps...

Top Bottom