• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Hasney

To be fair, Brad probably takes off to take care of the archive of the Bombcast, but what's the excuse going to be when they have another producer who could take care of that for him so he could take part in the post-show?

He did the audio version when they had 2 producers still soooo, nothing will change?

West isn't living up to its potential, its frustrating to see and understand when East coast is flourishing. I find it hard to believe that 1 more person is really going to change things around over there but I guess we'll see in 6-12 months or however long it takes for the hiring-getting settled in-still learning the crew dynamic phase to go.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno as long as he has some part of
Ryckert in him, Dan will still prioritize him so the comments will still be man.

I mean with the kinda loadout he has he should be prioritised, if they play it right he'll turn into the most overpowered class.

What i meant though is in the end people get way too serious about silly role-playing stuff.

Scizzy

I've mentioned this every time people ask what GBWest does all day, but I'll do it again. GBWest has released, like, 15% more hours of video than GBeast this year. Or at least they had a few weeks ago, the last time I added it up.

I've mentioned this every time people ask what GBWest does all day, but I'll do it again. GBWest has released, like, 15% more hours of video than GBeast this year. Or at least they had a few weeks ago, the last time I added it up.
To some people if it isn't premium then it doesn't count and I guess the same applies to video Bombcasts? I don't know.

Antiwhippy

Eh look, I'm a fairly big west defender but that stat is skewed by the video bombcast. And it doesn't account quality, i like west stuff but i don't think it's arguable that east is putting out better quality content (which tbf is just according to my tastes).

Though the trend I'm noticing is that the west is trying to push more free stuff. They haven't done a lot of unique features but their most recent ones like heartache and that midweek "whenever we feel like doing it " multiplayer feature have been free videos.

Dunno if the it's a plan or not. An interesting note now that I'm looking through the hosting youtube page is that heartache strangely got more viewers than the unlocked x-corps video.

kiyomi

I think I'm starting to reach my end point with Giant Bomb. I've kinda flirted with it before during general lulls in content, but their recent output, except for some GBeast stuff (XCOM), has been just.. lifeless? There's nothing really special about what they do given the rise in popularity of personality-driven content, and at times it feels like some members of the crew are behind the times in terms of new releases and trends. Watching them play Ark and not having a single clue about what it was or what it entailed was kind of embarrassing for a site that so often felt clued in to what was going on in the industry. Whether this is the fault of just the sheer volume of games released or the staff leading more 'grown up' lifestyles, I dunno.

I'm also starting to get very tired of the idea that Giant Bomb kinda just turns a blind eye to some of the shit that goes on in the industry. Last week's podcast where they just about condemned Pewdiepie for his racist outburst and yet having Brad say his apology seemed fairly contrite was pretty galling when we have places like Waypoint, Spawn On Me, etc, that actually discuss this stuff at length and why it matters.

I dunno. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here. Just that I guess I'm a bit tired of their cosy attitude and reluctance to shake things up in a big way. It doesn't really feel like the site has been operating with any real energy since 2013 and it's a huge bummer to me. We live in a time where places like Noclip and Waypoint are trying to push the boundaries of video content in videogames and Giant Bomb comes across currently as a slightly more exclusive Twitch sub.

How much of it is really worth watching though? I put UPF on as background noise and I have absolutely zero interest in watching Ben badly spectate Brad's DOTA play or watching Ben half-assedly slog through garbage like Kingdom Hearts.

Real Hero

I think people are kidding themselves if they think west are going to start putting out more stuff or become any different in their approach one they add a new guy. this is just how it is. It doesn't really matter to me because east make up for it and there is plenty to watch. I can't disagree with the post above though that it doesn't really fee like a special site anymore, I watch out of habit really.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think west are going to start putting out more stuff or become any different in their approach one they add a new guy. this is just how it is. It doesn't really matter to me because east make up for it and there is plenty to watch.

yeah, I think I've mentioned it before, but I think at this point the only thing that'll get them to change anything is if it ever starts to impact their bottom line

I have no qualms with West. I just sway towards East because they have my favorite Bombers (Alex, Vinny, Abby, Dan, the whole squad basically) and their features are more enjoyable to me. I love the bullshit and fun of Steal My Sunshine, I love the party games and or asinine games they play for Playdates, I love Blue Bombin as a second Beastcast with Alex overcoming robbits. I love the Beastcast because it's a variety show and gaming podcast. Vinny is a great host and everyone usually has a say for everything. Shit, how could I forget how much I like Jeff Bakalar too.

Now West, I like Jeff, Ben, Rorie, Jason, and Brad but I mean the Bombcast drags at time (I'll watch live in the background sometimes) but I don't always seek out UPF but this week's looks good, so I'll watch it and honestly, they just play games I don't care about as much. Funny enough, I like Kingdom Heartache but I could give less of a shit about Kingdom Hearts. I just like that Ben has his own feature.

While Giant Bomb might not always be a winner, I'll always be checking in but I just resonate more with East and will continue to do so.

Zaph

I think I'm starting to reach my end point with Giant Bomb. I've kinda flirted with it before during general lulls in content, but their recent output, except for some GBeast stuff (XCOM), has been just.. lifeless? There's nothing really special about what they do given the rise in popularity of personality-driven content, and at times it feels like some members of the crew are behind the times in terms of new releases and trends. Watching them play Ark and not having a single clue about what it was or what it entailed was kind of embarrassing for a site that so often felt clued in to what was going on in the industry. Whether this is the fault of just the sheer volume of games released or the staff leading more 'grown up' lifestyles, I dunno.

I'm also starting to get very tired of the idea that Giant Bomb kinda just turns a blind eye to some of the shit that goes on in the industry. Last week's podcast where they just about condemned Pewdiepie for his racist outburst and yet having Brad say his apology seemed fairly contrite was pretty galling when we have places like Waypoint, Spawn On Me, etc, that actually discuss this stuff at length and why it matters.

I dunno. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here. Just that I guess I'm a bit tired of their cosy attitude and reluctance to shake things up in a big way. It doesn't really feel like the site has been operating with any real energy since 2013 and it's a huge bummer to me. We live in a time where places like Noclip and Waypoint are trying to push the boundaries of video content in videogames and Giant Bomb comes across currently as a slightly more exclusive Twitch sub.

Hey, maybe you're not aware, but they've already done it before.

kingocfs

Bruhs, it's all the same website. If you watch something Vinny is on, that's Giant Bomb. If you see Brad there, that's also Giant Bomb. They aren't competing against each other.

Antiwhippy

I do want a little more brad though.

Just a teensy bit more?

Dota 2 doesn't count.

I'll allow destiny 2 for now.

BTA

I forgot Exquisite Corps was gonna be a thing and it's a full hour, hmm.

Guess I'll see y'all after lunch when I can probably watch most of it.

Bruhs, it's all the same website. If you watch something Vinny is on, that's Giant Bomb. If you see Brad there, that's also Giant Bomb. They aren't competing against each other.
People seem to think it's a fight though. It's true, they're one complete unit just separated by two studios.

I love everyone all the same, I just like some things more than others.

Such is life.

Anybody expecting West to start to flourish when the team consists of Jason, Ben and Rorie are kidding themselves.

Brad and Jeff can't carry that team.

It's the one flaw in a personality driven website - you need good personalities.

Hasney

Hey, it's ok to have bad taste. Skyrim did win GOTY so there's always something for people like you at Giant Bomb!

I'm glad you absolved yourself of your terrible taste.

Still deciding if I should get Skyrim on Switch or PSVR. Man that will be a tough November choice.

Real Hero

I wouldn't mind if west just became entirely rorie focused tbh, I'd take any rorie video over most of what they do

rorie does a nuzlocke run of pokemon

rorie solo film and 40's karate dog

livestream of rorie's day at work

Antiwhippy

If I could have a podcast that is just rorie talking to himself I would not need any other content.

Ok maybe that's a bit too drastic but you get what I mean.

I'd like Dave Lang to go back and talk at length about old games he developed. The TNT where he talked about making WCW games was interesting. Same with the time Brad Muir was on.

From last UPF:

Rorie "You going to stream building the new studio PC next week? Its tradition"
Brad "Ugh, I don't know" [shakes head and gives lame excuse about needing the PC to work]

That could have been a really cool live stream, but nope. Anyone expecting Brad in anything he's not dragged to is kidding themselves, he's checked out.

The last time they streamed building a PC it didn't go well, but I'm sure they won the premium stream war against East that week!

If I could have a podcast that is just rorie talking to himself I would not need any other content.

Ok maybe that's a bit too drastic but you get what I mean.
Rorie's Support Chain.

In this first episode, Matt Rorie answers your support questions and answers your live calls about dog breeds.

Top Bottom