• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

derFeef

Rorie is fine. A cool nice little guest to have on every now and again.

But West need a Vinny, Abby, Dan, or Abby...

Rorie, nor Jason and Ben, are that.

You are speaking of two things here.
We know you like east people more, but that's not about bringing east people to west. It's about starting to improve west.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Watching them play Ark and not having a single clue about what it was or what it entailed was kind of embarrassing for a site that so often felt clued in to what was going on in the industry.

I don't know which GiantBomb we are talking about here to be honest

Rorie, Jason and Ben can't fill that gap.

Nah

having a show where Rorie answers support emails would be amazing, but then it'd poison the well almost immediately since people would no doubt start sending their hilarious goofs in

The last time they streamed building a PC it didn't go well, but I'm sure they won the premium stream war against East that week!

what are you talking about, that was one of the last memorable UPFs because they were playing a bunch of DDR while building it

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh yeah I didn't think of that. Rorie's support stories were fucking hilarious when we get them but I wouldn't want to make his job harder than it is lol.

imBask

Banned
new crazy duder : "I got this crazy story"
Brad : "nope moving on, nope"
Jeff : "yeah let's just talk about Qbert instead"
Ben : *whispers that he never played Qbert*
Jason : "..."

again, hiring a funny duder won't fix the real issue with west

Hasney

Will the duders stream reactions?

giphy.gif

new crazy duder : "I got this crazy story"
Brad : "nope moving on, nope"
Jeff : "yeah let's just talk about Qbert instead"
Ben : *whispers that he never played Qbert*
Jason : "..."

again, hiring a funny duder won't fix the real issue with west

A great hire will snap Jeff and Brad out of their bad habits. That's why you need the right type of personality, not Ben and Jason.

Hasney

A great hire will snap Jeff and Brad out of their bad habits. That's why you need the right type of personality, not Ben and Jason.

But Jeff does the hiring and hired Ben. Great move, obviously, but if you personally don't like him, they're not going to hire anyone too different.

For the producer, Jason will likely do the interviewing. 2 Jasons would be ace and we'd maybe be allowed 2 minutes of Monster Hunter.

imBask

Banned
But Jeff does the hiring and hired Ben. Great move, obviously, but if you personally don't like him, they're not going to hire anyone too different.

For the producer, Jason will likely do the interviewing. 2 Jasons would be ace and we'd maybe be allowed 2 minutes of Monster Hunter.

oh friend, you're not ready for Monster Hunter World.

GB GOTY 2018

Jintor

the answer is simple

the next video series is the hiring process- fuck the department of new business already stole that gimmick.

shit

Lari

Damn exquisite corps delivers again!

Abby the real MVP!!! I loved the way she dealt with the Dan mess, and holy crap she almost single handedly (together with ghostvinny) fixed the panic situation. amazing.

Jeff is great and Ben is growing on me but I don’t see how you can say hiring Ben was a great move considering no ones opinion of GB West has changed since he’s been on board. They’re still in the same rut they’ve been in since Dan and Drew left. Our only hope is that the producer they bring in will be amazing but there’s only so much they can do.

swimbuff

There's been some good feedback on Giant Bomb here. I hope they see the constructive criticism because in the end the site has been there for us in one way or another so it super sucks to see West in the doldrums like this. In an ideal world they would be able to hire someone like Austin. Someone who can push for a deeper discussion and extract more considered opinions from people like Jeff and Brad.

Unfortunately their next hire is a producer, which to be fair they sorely need. Hopefully the new hire will be a catalyst for the duders to create more interesting content and get more subscribers that could justify a budget to hire a new editor with a dynamic personality.

Antiwhippy

There's been some good feedback on Giant Bomb here. I hope they see the constructive criticism because in the end the site has been there for us in one way or another so it super sucks to see West in the doldrums like this. In an ideal world they would be able to hire someone like Austin. Someone who can push for a deeper discussion and extract more considered opinions from people like Jeff and Brad.

Unfortunately their next hire is a producer, which to be fair they sorely need. Hopefully the new hire will be a catalyst for the duders to create more interesting content and get more subscribers that could justify a budget to hire a new editor with a dynamic personality.

Eh producers are pretty much the same as editors on giantbomb.

He also hired Abby, Dan and Patrick.

So...

Hasney

Jeff is great and Ben is growing on me but I don't see how you can say hiring Ben was a great move considering no ones opinion of GB West has changed since he's been on board.

I've enjoyed it more

So...

Vince McMahon made wrestling popular and enjoyable to watch. Then he got old.

Abby was hired by Vinny as they are a producer and Dan and Patrick were more senior roles. They're paying less for these more junior roles.

Zaph

We're going to be forever chasing that dragon, aren't we?

So...
Its been 9 years, I suppose one was bound to slip through the cracks...

Yea I think the KH series would have been better received if it was Ben and Brad full time. Maybe add in a rotating guest but have those 2 constant at least.

Regardless of how you feel about Ben, at least he is trying with new series, etc. I have enjoyed GBW more since his hire, no question. I do think GBW needs a new premium series.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Eh producers are pretty much the same as editors on giantbomb.

Especially if they have 2 again.
Jason probably can't be in a lot of stuff cause he has to man the control room.

Yea I think the KH series would have been better received if it was Ben and Brad full time. Maybe add in a rotating guest but have those 2 constant at least.

Regardless of how you feel about Ben, at least he is trying with new series, etc. I have enjoyed GBW more since his hire, no question. I do think GBW needs a new premium series.

I want a feature with Jeff that's not related to C64 games.

Seventy70

Dan's briefing is fantastic, he's so into his bullshit.

From last UPF:

Rorie "You going to stream building the new studio PC next week? Its tradition"
Brad "Ugh, I don't know" [shakes head and gives lame excuse about needing the PC to work]

That could have been a really cool live stream, but nope. Anyone expecting Brad in anything he's not dragged to is kidding themselves, he's checked out.

At this point, apart from Jeff's home streams, West just seems like a write off. Unless something drastic happens like Jeff firing everyone not named Rorie, I don't see it improving any time soon.

Funny that you say that because I thought the same exact thing. Jeff and Brad are such wet blankets these days. On the other hand, the people on the East kill it every week.

Brad has become such a perfectionist these days. Even when he's playing a game, he refuses to take any risks. In Bloodborne, you could tell even Jason was fed up with his cautiousness.

I'm not saying they are lazy, but if something is happening behind the scenes, the content sure is suffering as a result. They need to overhaul their features and do something that actually has their heart in it. Jeff is enthusiastic about video game history and old games. I would love to have more features around that.

Nerokis

Rorie, Jason and Ben can't fill that gap.

I think people underappreciate Ben. He wasn't hired as a senior editor, like Dan was, and nor did he come in with Dan's level of experience. It was doubtful he was ever going to shake things up. Abby is wonderful partly because she's given the space to be at GBEast. If you simply threw her Westside, I doubt that she'd make a massive difference by herself.

That said, he's made a positive difference overall. Both in terms of GBWest content, and in terms of the overall vibe at Giant Bomb. Between the recent PAX panel, DNB, the Persona 5 spoilercast with Alex, PUBG, etc., he's also been good in cross-coast stuff.

I think what GBWest is missing is...I don't know, some connective tissue? Like, when Dan and Drew were there, they didn't just add the quality of their personalities, but also lifted up the crew's collective chemistry. Dan annoying almost everyone with his bad Monster Hunter opinions was a gift, for example. The main problem over there is that the guys don't seem especially enthusiastic engaging with each other anymore. It was never fair to expect a single hire to fix that.

derFeef

Me too, that would be great. I really want Brad in a series too, the old breaking brads, demon soul's, etc are some of my favorite content.

That's what's everyone is saying. It's pretty simple actually but they do not see it, or just do not want to make it.

Antiwhippy

I know it tilted the odds in your favour if the game isn't going well, but what the heck kind of loaded dice is XCOM playing with to have 3 out of 5 reaction shots hit for low-ranked units?!

And also
the only 2 chryssalids who have not been discovered yet come out of fog of war just to run right into it.
lol

Wunder

I think people underappreciate Ben. He wasn't hired as a senior editor, like Dan was, and nor did he come in with Dan's level of experience. It was doubtful he was ever going to shake things up. Abby is wonderful partly because she's given the space to be at GBEast. If you simply threw her Westside, I doubt that she'd make a massive difference by herself.

That said, he's made a positive difference overall. Both in terms of GBWest content, and in terms of the overall vibe at Giant Bomb. Between the recent PAX panel, DNB, the Persona 5 spoilercast with Alex, PUBG, etc., he's also been good in cross-coast stuff.

I think what GBWest is missing is...I don't know, some connective tissue? Like, when Dan and Drew were there, they didn't just add the quality of their personalities, but also lifted up the crew's collective chemistry. Dan annoying almost everyone with his bad Monster Hunter opinions was a gift, for example. The main problem over there is that the guys don't seem especially enthusiastic engaging with each other anymore. It was never fair to expect a single hire to fix that.

Yeah I agree, placing blame solely on Ben on failing to liven things up at West is a mistake. I hate comparing him to Dan and I've said this before but Dan had a lot of success at West because he had a producer counterpart in Drew. MGS, Demo Derby, the Rollercoaster video and even to an extent Mario Party Party all happened because Drew was willing. Ben is literally producing his own content because Jason is too busy dealing with the other issues plaguing the studio.

My hope is that with a second producer they can either work closely together for more focused series or that Jason has more time to help Ben out. In an ideal world a single hire could have shaken things up, but I think Ben is doing as well as one can expect from his position.

rip brad in exquisite corps

imBask

Banned

100%

Ben is a scapegoat

Antiwhippy

Which is kinda what I mean that quite a number of the issues is the 2 senior editors being unwilling to help out more in content generation. Brad especially.

Wunder

someone needs to tell Abby how to abuse a squadsight sniper

it's clear the infrequent nature of the series means that Abby is still struggling with the controls a lot, but kudos to her for picking up a decent layer of tactics and strategy.
That first mission was great!

Shut down West. Hire one more editor on East (or send Brad and Jeff over). Let all of our subscription money fund Lord Vinny.

Problem solved. Call me, CBSi.

Top Bottom