• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Seventy70

new crazy duder : "I got this crazy story"
Brad : "nope moving on, nope"
Jeff : "yeah let's just talk about Qbert instead"
Ben : *whispers that he never played Qbert*
Jason : "..."

again, hiring a funny duder won't fix the real issue with west

This happens way too often. At this point I don't get if the "apathetic, fun-killer" is a character that Brad is playing up or whether he actually means it. Ideally, a person should be a "fun-killer" without actually.....killing fun?

Even going back to older videos, the difference is massive. They simply don't let it loose the way they used to.

robotrock

Banned

5MGgixU.png

Wunder

do they even know what holo targetting does aaaaaaaa

is abby on the LiS QL?

do they even know how accuracy works in the gameeee

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Which is kinda what I mean that quite a number of the issues is the 2 senior editors being unwilling to help out more in content generation. Brad especially.

Yeah, it really feels like Jeff and Brad are in a weird place right now. It seems like neither really wants to do much beside UPF and the occasional QL. I'm not gonna call them lazy cause there might be some internal stuff going on, but I really hope they at least realize this themselves.

There is also the very real possibility of West just having to deal with much more business stuff which allows East to have more free reign of things. Who knows.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, it really feels like Jeff and Brad are in a weird place right now. It seems like neither really wants to do much beside UPF and the occasional QL. I'm not gonna call them lazy cause there might be some internal stuff going on, but I really hope they at least realize this themselves.

There is also the very real possibility of West just having to deal with much more business stuff which allows East to have more free reign of things. Who knows.

I mean that's what I've been mostly thinking. They do have a business guy at west.

Harpuia

Gonna post predictions before I run out of this thread to watch exquisite corps later.

1. Abby scrapes by on the terror mission, losing maybe at most 2 soldiers
2. despite this, maybe she gets the fail state by losing too many civilians.
3. panic goes way up
4. she does another mission, maybe a ufo again, and attempts to get the outsider. to disastrous results.

Lari

Austin was poisoned at PAX. I saw through the deception!!!

Gonna post predictions before I run out of this thread to watch exquisite corps later.

3. panic goes way up
4. she does another mission, maybe a ufo again, and attempts to get the outsider. to disastrous results.

!!!!!

zipper-mouth-face_1f910.png

Nerokis

Yeah I agree, placing blame solely on Ben on failing to liven things up at West is a mistake. I hate comparing him to Dan and I've said this before but Dan had a lot of success at West because he had a producer counterpart in Drew. MGS, Demo Derby, the Rollercoaster video and even to an extent Mario Party Party all happened because Drew was willing. Ben is literally producing his own content because Jason is too busy dealing with the other issues plaguing the studio.

My hope is that with a second producer they can either work closely together for more focused series or that Jason has more time to help Ben out. In an ideal world a single hire could have shaken things up, but I think Ben is doing as well as one can expect from his position.

rip brad in exquisite corps

Yeah, Dan entered the picture when GBWest was a much more vibrant place. Brad hosting was still a novel thing, people like Samantha Kalman were popping up far more often (it was a Brad, Dan, Drew, Samantha Bombcast that got me to subscribe to the site), Drew was still around and entering a new phase of self-expression on the site, etc., etc.

The same logic could be applied to Jason. His weaknesses are much more apparent now than they were back then. Before, he slotted in pretty perfectly: freed Drew from some of his shackles, but also had more space to be creative and engaged since Drew was around to help him out; his chemistry with Dan was consistently an enjoyable thing; when he'd discuss something like Monster Hunter, you may have Drew actively engage with that discussion, and Dan actively shit on it all at once, versus now where...nothing.

The funny thing is that Ben has been a significant part of every big GB event so far. He made E3 much better, and made PAX much better. When the general vibe is really good, so is he.

robotrock, not like this.

3. panic goes way up
Ooh, I like this idea.

Prediction:
  • At some point in the terror mission, a chrysallid pod annihilates her entire squad. (Newly-created Dan Lang included).

I'll keep it vague so I can claim it was right somehow later.

TraBuch

Banned
I don't really see how he made E3 much better. E3 time is entertaining with or without him.

I don't pay attention to PAX so I have no idea what he did there.

GBW is doing okay, they just need someone a bit outside their wheelhouse when it comes to tastes.

Drew was great because he got into stuff that everyone else would never touch.

Nerokis

I don't really see how he made E3 much better. E3 time is entertaining with or without him.

I don't pay attention to PAX so I have no idea what he did there.

Really? He and Abby were together a huge breath of fresh air during E3. The millennial video with Dan, the My First E3 podcast, and just the overall dynamic that the two of them had helped distinguish this E3 from the others.

And yeah, E3 would have been entertaining without either of them, but that's kind of the point. It was helpful that GBEast was great before Abby made an appearance.

Zaph

Who knew it was possible to make an unintentionally lame version of Insult Sword Fighting in 2017? Good job LiS.

daveo42

Banned
I think I'll avoid that LiS QL for now. As much as the pre-release stuff for this game pissed me off, I still plan on playing it before GotY.

As for XCOM, when they say 'Very Difficult" they totally mean it. Surprised Abby made is as far as she did a few weeks go with the squad she had at the time. I had a few hardened soldiers go in and still had one die (Rk. Brad Shoemaker) and one in critical condition (Lt. Abby Russell). Even then, most of the squad was out for 1-2 full weeks. I'm still enjoying it, but some of these fights are intense.

TraBuch

Banned
Really? He and Abby were together a huge breath of fresh air during E3. The millennial video with Dan, the My First E3 podcast, and just the overall dynamic that the two of them had helped distinguish this E3 from the others.

And yeah, E3 would have been entertaining without either of them, but that's kind of the point. It was helpful that GBEast was great before Abby made an appearance.
I actually completely forgot about those podcasts, which might tell you how much I liked those podcasts.

Lari

To me I just don't watch much of the west office videos because they focus a lot on games I don't care to watch (destiny, dota and kingdom hearts) or they just play a grab bag of games with little investment from any of them (UPF).

Whereas the east crew more often than not dedicates more time per game doing full playthroughs or dedicating a full playdate to them, which is more the style of videos i'm interested in watching.

Hindl

You won't tomorrow, it's only the Sony conference then. Not even sure Square Enix will talk much more about it and leave it to Nintendo to get the message out.

Square Enix is going to do a live steam for Octopath Traveler on Saturday so we'll get something

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ok I really liked the first LiS.

But this first part is the exact "hello fellow teens" shit that people used to make fun of the first game.

Also chloe is a real light weight if she gets knocked out in 3-5 beers.

BTA

What if GB West hired Kessler away from Sony. Think about that.

I mean, that would never happen (nor do I want them to hire anyone known) but he'd come with chemistry with Ben at least.

Chemistry not everyone would enjoy. But I would.

Top Bottom