• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

robotrock

Banned
I've been trying to get better at at least seeing what I'm playing week by week so that my juggling has some structure to it. It's worked out better certain times than others but it's helped overall even if things slip between weeks due to having unfocused/mentally bad/whatever weeknights over the past month or so.

Games still slip through the cracks though because I'm dumb and buy things I shouldn't (especially on sale) but I feel like in these past few months I've made some dents in my backlog even if it's been slower than I'd like overall.

Juggling with some structure totally works. I'm going to make a rigid schedule for optimal Wolfenstein 2 x Super Mario Odyssey play.

BTA

Juggling with some structure totally works. I'm going to make a rigid schedule for optimal Wolfenstein 2 x Super Mario Odyssey play.

Yeah, I need to get better at rigidity, particularly because it's easy to waste an hour or so when I get home instead of jumping into things.

Though I did start to get better at that last week and this one's just been unusual by itself so I think there is an improvement there too. Getting better at regular dinner times is part of that and I'm still working on that bit.

Strax

So, I was invited to pitch my TV show to the heads of the biggest TV channel in my country. They selected 10 pitches out of over 1000 so I'm kinda busting with joy right about now.

Jintor

So, I was invited to pitch my TV show to the heads of the biggest TV channel in my country. They selected 10 pitches out of over 1000 so I'm kinda busting with joy right about now.

Killing it my man, go out there and do them dirty

Nb I don't actually know what this means but it sounds cool when Jeff says it

I'm watching through the video and towards the beginning they say that it's Ben's last day as an intern... Just thought that was interesting.

That's pretty crazy and it's also pretty awesome!

about 6 minutes in and intern Ben was mentioned! Apparently it was his final day at Giant Bomb!

edit: beaten

Yeah, they mentioned this video a few weeks ago on UPF and also watched a bit of it, then tried to do the Actraiser segment again. I randomly watched that stream a couple months ago then it showed up on UPF, it was weird.

I'm watching through the video and towards the beginning they say that it's Ben's last day as an intern... Just thought that was interesting.

about 6 minutes in and intern Ben was mentioned! Apparently it was his final day at Giant Bomb!

edit: beaten

I don't know if you guys know this but if you tune in to part 3 you could see Ben playing Actraiser as well

DvciCFt.gif

Catvoca

Banned
It's got a lot more character than Everybody's and a lot less bullshit

but I think Everybody's Golf golfing feels much better.

It's the RPG side quests and stuff that I really like about it. Regular golf games usually lose me pretty quickly but there's so much variety here.

oti

Banned

That's wonderful.
🤗

Gangi þér vel!

Man, hearing Jeff talk about the pros/cons of doing a weekly scheduled live stream in this 2011 SNES stream is real strange because it seems like UPF might be running into some of the same issues. I can't remember when they stopped the Happy Hours, but I think it was probably (in part) due to the CBS buyout

OK... I'm a few pages too late for the raid chat.. But wow what a ride!

It was really interesting to watch, especially as some of them were tackling any sort of raid for the first time.

I agree with some of the other posters. Brad seemed to be struggling a bit in the gauntlet, with jeff chasing him a couple of times to do psions and fire. I was really surprised he couldn't remember how the bathers worked. He must have spent a long time in there doing it blind the first time and once you've figured it out, it must be stuck in your memory!?

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but don't underestimate how hard it is doing your first ever raid, as well as a blind raid.

Doing a raid is quite different from playing a normal fps. The comms needed, as well as random banter and coordination are pretty high.

It's quite a tough ask to pick that up, as well as figure out the encounter.

IMHO they're also less used to splitting the team up and spotting patterns. We figured out the bathers section fairly quickly, as it's very similar to totems in the kings fall raid. We're used to the idea of splitting the team in half and running relays between spots. You can see with the GB team they're not that used to it yet.

My random thoughts:-

Abby/alex - they kept up the positivity and secondly got on with what they were doing. They were also generally following the conversations and paying attention.

Jeff - had very few deaths and generally did his role well. Also helped give leadership via call outs and making decisions on strategies to try.

Ben - had a few deaths but followed along and paid attention

DAN - seemed to play OK but struggled to pay attention and had to be coaxed through his own role sometimes. Telling someone ELSE what to do, whilst also doing your own stuff, is hard!

Brad - I'm generally a fan but I had high expectations given he'd done it before. I was runner when we figured out the gauntlet and I could still tell you about 99 percent of what was going on outside. Brad didn't seem to have much idea. He also seemed pretty hazy on bathers, and had a few sloppy deaths.

robotrock

Banned
Update on Zone of the Enders 2: Dingo Egret

About an hour in. Pacing has been kind of slow. The action is so hectic too, I swear it's much much harder to follow than the first one. Stuff like using the homing missiles on the swarms is killing me. Camera and lock-on is fucking me up too aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

edit: Nevermind. It all just clicked. This game is amazing

dcassell

Banned
would take
raid > sunshine/megaman/playdate/vinnyvania
any day of the week

I wouldn't take it any day of the week, but I've had a huge amount of fun watching it (though I'm pretty well on the Destiny train right now). I think it's really only good if you're already into Destiny. Personally I'd love to see them do every raid as they get released, if only because their dynamic has made it WAY more fun to discover how this stuff all works along with them before I do it myself.

I think you're on point with most of this. I actually thought Dan did surprisingly well DURING rounds, even if he was fairly frazzled between them. Not a lot of needless chatter, I don't remember him making many significant mistakes. Either that, or he just never owned up to any of them like the others sometimes did. Benefit of the doubt.

Jeff had a habit of briefly but sharply freaking out into the mic when things got hairy and like 75% of the time he was fine. This was something that my WoW raid leader back in the day made sure people didn't do. It can be distracting to the other people in the raid. That said, he seemed to play well and helped others get/stay on track, and was less frustrated than I expected him to be about the whole thing.

But yeah, I did pretty tough WoW raids with anywhere between 10 and 40 people for 5 hours a day, 4-5 days a week for like 3 years. I had to INTERVIEW people to be allowed into our guild because the discipline needed was so crazy.

So with that context, I think they did pretty damned well overall, and it's commendable that they went in blind. I've seen plenty of raid groups devolve from bad morale, and everyone kept their heads on straight for this. I think Abby might have been the most level-headed one of them all, in fact. Raiding is not about being the best at pressing the buttons, it's about being a good teammate on the mic, too. She was good at the former and great at the latter.

robotrock

Banned
Valtýr;250345478 said:
Even 6 years ago, Jeff's opinions on Metroid are still trash-tier.

Been watching this too thanks to throwawayname's wonderfully timed link.

Jeff's opinions on Metroid in here aren't just trash-tier, they are downright evil.

Top Bottom