• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Harpuia

I'd say there's a high chance of that happening. She's always hanging out with Austin and Waypoint girl.

I mean.

Danny and Mary were always hanging around the GB West crew.

I sincerely do not think she'll leave, at least not for Waypoint.

she's destined for greater things than waypoint and giantbomb

BTA

do we really have to go through this nonsense again

(also I don't think the way Waypoint's video stuff works would even enable hiring her being a good idea)

I don't want it to happen, but out of all the outlets in video games, if Abby were to move, Waypoint would make sense considering location and staff. She loves Danielle, Danika, and Austin (as do I so I wouldn't blame her)

I do agree that if she were to move, it'd probably be to a more video focused entertainment outlet rather than simply video games.

Valtýr

If they paid well I'd leave my job for Waypoint but I bet they don't because this fucking city sucks and everyone just lives in poverty. Fuck NYC.

Valtýr;250447889 said:
If they paid well I'd leave my job for Waypoint but I bet they don't because this fucking city sucks and everyone just lives in poverty. Fuck NYC.

Plus it's still vice-affiliated and last I heard, those gigs don't pay the best.

BTA

I don't want it to happen, but out of all the outlets in video games, if Abby were to move, Waypoint would make sense considering location and staff. She loves Danielle, Danika, and Austin (as do I so I wouldn't blame her)

I do agree that if she were to move, it'd probably be to a more video focused entertainment outlet rather than simply video games.

I mean of the other NYC based video gaming sites, Polygon's video team actually goes on camera.

but:

I'm gonna again point out (now blearily at 2 AM so this might be a little blunt) that Austin's in his 30s and wrote some excellent things pre-GB, not to mention started curating freelance work while at GB in a notable way. He was not in the field for a super long time but he was also studying games academically as well.

Abby is working her first job out of college (and again I say this as someone doing the same, not as an insult or something); I don't think she's exactly eager to switch jobs or going to get sniped just for being funny anytime soon.

it's weird to think any new hire would leave ASAP and be able to immediately climb up somewhere else just because of him leaving after a year for a very unusual once in a lifetime opprotunity; Patrick is probably the more reasonable comparison due to not leaving for anything that unique and he left after years so stop worrying about things (and prompting jokes that make me worry) because it's almost certainly not gonna happen anytime soon and if it does, it does

seriously people why are we even talking about this again when all this applies

jaina

I meant to ask earlier: Is Giant Bomb really in some CBS All Access marketing material? It isn't even included in the service, is it?

DIqRXAPUEAARQj7.jpg:large

Oh no they're gonna take Jeff!!!!

I literally cannot tell if that is Patrick or Abby in the last pic. Damn cropping.

I mean of the other NYC based video gaming sites, Polygon's video team actually goes on camera.

but:

seriously people why are we even talking about this again when all this applies

Truth, but...Waypoint does have a TV show on Disney XD now but...they probably have their video production needs taken care of at this point.

Also, yes, the Austin situation is very different from the Abby situation. I just try to train myself to accept the occasional outlet hopping in the video games industry. (Although it's not as common at Giant Bomb as it is elsewhere)

BTA

Truth, but...Waypoint does have a TV show on Disney XD now but...they probably have their video production needs taken care of at this point.

Also, yes, the Austin situation is very different from the Abby situation. I just try to train myself to accept the occasional outlet hopping in the video games industry. (Although it's not as common at Giant Bomb as it is elsewhere)

The same video team is working on that show, is my understanding. That's why the archival of some of their streams has been spotty for the past few months. (Rather, they had the video but it wasn't posted.)

(I keep missing the TV show because I have no DVR; what I've caught has been cool though.)

The same video team is working on that show, is my understanding. That's why the archival of some of their streams has been spotty for the past few months. (Rather, they had the video but it wasn't posted.)

(I keep missing the TV show because I have no DVR; what I've caught has been cool though.)

I know the feeling. We're cordcutters over here so I haven't had a chance to catch it, but I'm sure, knowing that crew, it's solid.

Whoyouare

Abby brings up money frequently. That's why I think she will split as soon as some other gig offers more cash. In my opinion they are all replaceable with the exception of Jeff, vinny and brad. Dan would be the next on that list.

NightOnyx

Do we really need to have a daily conversation about people leaving? I know most people are joking, but it always turns into like pages of discussion every time people bring it up. Nobody is going anywhere any time soon.....

.....except for Brad

swimbuff

Not saying you folks are doing it right now, but we should probably cool off on the Abby/Patrick jokes. It's kinda reductive to do especially for someone so new and trying to make their own mark. I think one of the dudes actually called it out.

Edit: not talking about the picture, that's legitimately confusing.

xuchu

They've been a lot more positive this stream compared to the last. Thought they would have reached breaking point long before.

BTA

Not saying you folks are doing it right now, but we should probably cool off on the Abby/Patrick jokes. It's kinda reductive to do especially for someone so new and trying to make their own mark. I think one of the dudes actually called it out.

Yeah this also kinda sucks!

The leaving thing really bothers me because it has to be annoying for them to constantly hear and deal with. There's no reason to realistically think the new hires in particular would leave anytime soon and even self-aware joking isn't helpful.

at least it's probably better than the "THEY SHOULD HIRE DANNY/MARY/[INSERT ANY PERSON WHO GOES NEAR THEM HERE]" mess but still

Whoyouare

Yeah this also kinda sucks!

The leaving thing really bothers me because it has to be annoying for them to constantly hear and deal with. There's no reason to realistically think the new hires in particular would leave anytime soon and even self-aware joking isn't helpful.

at least it's probably better than the "THEY SHOULD HIRE DANNY/MARY/[INSERT ANY PERSON WHO GOES NEAR THEM HERE]" mess but still

I don't think it bothers them. Why would they care that a few idiots (me included) are saying that they would leave if offered a better paying position?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is "Abby is leaving" the new meme? I don't get it. It's not like she has done anything outstanding so far (I mean she obviously fits in well and does a great job but that's hardly a reason why anybody would poach her immediately)

Also, I'm sure PT is a super duper scary game but I find it really, , really, really boring to watch.
Abby and Vinny are doing a good job keeping it fun to watch but I find myself constantly drifting off to a different tab. Again, I'm not saying the game isn't really scary when you play it. But watching it.....snooze.

Top Bottom