• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
name a game that "stuck" with Jeff this year

Actually I'm honestly curious when it comes to that. I can't really come up with anything other than PUBG. If you ask me to build a top 5 list for him right now I can't do it.

I'm also curious when it comes to Vinny too. It seems PUBG is his but I can't think off much else he seemed to have incredibly strong feelings for. Maybe Pyre? But it's the same. I can't build a top 5 list for him either.

Zaph

Maybe I just changed. I don’t know. I feel like when I started listening (2014 or 15, not sure) they devoted more time to anedoctes and side talk. I don’t need deep dives but if 1 plus hour of your podcast is talking about what you are playing it better be interesting.

Dan had his crazy stories and Drew and a different perspective and view on things. These days it’s a lot of PUBG and fighting games with long segments where I don’t feel anything interesting is said.

I’m not trying to bring everyone done, everyone enjoys different things and all but I just feel really down on the Bombcast.

I've been listening to the Bombcast weekly since it was called The Hotspot. Maybe I'm forgetting an era, but I think this is the worst its ever been. The mix of personalities is gone.

kiguel182

I mean you gotta keep in mind that they are coming off a PAX too. And I don't actually think they talk that much about fighting games, but I love fighting games so my bias is kicking in.

I'm honestly curious to how you'll feel if you go back to listen to that era of bombcasts, because crazy Dan stories are there and Drew were there, but as someone who went back constantly through the bombcast archives that period was those, but very interspersed between what you seem to dislike. There's a reason why we used to call it the Jeff+Brad show back then, because they would dominate the conversation. Dan has actually improved a lot when it came to joining in the conversation. Or maybe the dynamic suits him better now.

I might be biased and just remembering the good things back then sure. Since I was new to the Bombcast it might’ve seemed better because of that.

I’ll just stop listening to it, no big deal. Or listen to it if I want to play WoW or something like that. But I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

BoJack Horseman Season 4 is surprisingly the most uplifting season...

I watched all 12 episodes and I'm still gonna make the GBE Playdate.

Winning.

All the talk about 2017 being such a good year for games is really bumming me out that there hasn't been anything that has really spoken to me this year. Although, it's been a good year for me going back and playing old games I missed like XCOM so there's that.

Antiwhippy

FWIW Dan+Vinny+Alex+Abby (Jeff too I guess) is a pretty dynamite combo.

Vinny, Alex, Austin + Jeff is probably still my favourite configuration but the beastcast is pretty fucking great consistently. I like the current bombcast a lot but eh, different leagues.

The only downtime for the beastcast to me is probably that small period where Austin left but Dan has yet to joined.

remember that time Brad argued the curation system was problematic in Mario Maker and Jeff's rebutal was "shut up that's stupid you're stupid" and that won the argument?
or that time Jeff went to wikipedia and that won the argument?

yeah GOTY talk is really official and rules are really important, PUBG clearly cannot be allowed in such an important contest

i'm with you on the wikipedia one (my lord that entire bit was hilarious--though I do think there is some merit in not including LiS on the list considering the boys hadn't even finished it yet and it is a primarily narrative driven game)

but i think jeff and the others rebutted brad's curation system argument well in stating how easy it is to skip to upcoming levels in order to constantly throw something new at you. it almost ties into the recent splatoon 2 thoughts of nintendo giving the player what they think they want. drew had a great clinching line of 'i wish i could press the skip button on parts of MGS V'

e: FWIW I don't think they should include PUBG. It's a phenomenon and it's huge, but this kind of skyrocketing is so rare. And I think setting that precedent of early access games' inclusion will just lead to even messier situations down the line

kiguel182

GOTY is dumb. Especially when they nitpick Mario Maker as a product but then talk about how Fallout makes them feel things even if it’s a flawed product.

Games are analysed differently depending if you like them or not making it all dumb. I mean, it’s fun to listen to but it has very little value.

patapuf

Maybe I just changed. I don’t know. I feel like when I started listening (2014 or 15, not sure) they devoted more time to anedoctes and side talk. I don’t need deep dives but if 1 plus hour of your podcast is talking about what you are playing it better be interesting.

Dan had his crazy stories and Drew and a different perspective and view on things. These days it’s a lot of PUBG and fighting games with long segments where I don’t feel anything interesting is said.

I’m not trying to bring everyone done, everyone enjoys different things and all but I just feel really down on the Bombcast.

They do a lot of deep dives especially on stuff surrounding gaming, old games, business models, coverage, console stuff ect.

At least Brad and jeff are usually pretty good at describing why they like the games they do as well, especially mechanically. Jason has also gotten much better at describing his niche games too.

I get a much better sense of how a game plays on the bombcast than beastcast (or waypoint, for that matter)- though i enjoy that too.

Antiwhippy

GOTY is dumb. Especially when they nitpick Mario Maker as a product but then talk about how Fallout makes them feel things even if it’s a flawed product.

Games are analysed differently depending if you like them or not making it all dumb. I mean, it’s fun to listen to but it has very little value.

Err, what kind of feelings did they talk about when it comes to fallout? All I remembered was the argument wher brad and austin basically went "but making games are haaaard."

Teddified

hmmmmmmmmmmm
2962350-cp_ep06_excorps_dan.00_12_01_55.still003.jpg

Finished the story in Destiny 2. D2 takes the D1 NPCs from one-dimensional cardboard cutouts standing by a table to two-dimensional characters that participate in the story and have a couple of good moments. I couldn't name them in D1 with a gun to my head, and in this game I can name the characters, the villain, the bad guy's ship, and I know the villain's plan and desires. The main NPCs make mistakes and have moments of weakness.

It's not The Last of Us or anything, but it's an entire stairwell of steps up compared to D1.

I also like the environments a lot better, and something about the vehicles seemed better implemented when they came up (aside from no sparrow for much of it). The adventures, lost sectors and public event changes all make the open-ish world a much more interesting place to spend time. The fact that they all reward tokens that build to a cumulative nice item is cool, too.

Also, I'm flush with shaders, as Luke Smith promised. They're not all good and I don't have enough of the good ones and the randomness leaves much to be desired, but I do have like 14 different types.

Ashby

And boring as fuck conversations about it are taking up more and more of the year both in the GB community and within GB itself.

oti

Banned
All the talk about 2017 being such a good year for games is really bumming me out that there hasn't been anything that has really spoken to me this year. Although, it's been a good year for me going back and playing old games I missed like XCOM so there's that.
For me it's Zelda and Mario Rabbids so far, just two wonderful bundles of joy right there. I'm also enjoying Destiny 2 so far. Other than that... not sure. I don't really play current games that often anymore. I still have the new Uncharted to play though and it seems to be great. Other than that I'm super hyped for Mario.

GOTY is super dumb. Jeff used to point this out during the early years. The published these talks to show how dumb the awards truly are. I really look forward to those discussions as a form of entertainment. Something to look forward to during the holidays and just a nice way to think about all the games that came out that year again.

Also the meta GB GAF GOTY discussions are super fun.

kiguel182

Err, what kind of feelings did they talk about when it comes to fallout? All I remembered was the argument wher brad and austin basically went "but making games are haaaard."

There’s that but Austin’s whole pitch was how wandering the post apocalyptic woods seeing bits and pieces of life was impactful.

Which I think it’s totally fair. But don’t ignore a games problems as a product if you are going to bash another game for that. It was very inconsistent.

And boring as fuck conversations about it are taking up more and more of the year both in the GB community and within GB itself.

It’s true and I’m partially to blame for that. I mean, it’s a fun week of podcasts but that’s it.

imBask

Banned
e: FWIW I don't think they should include PUBG. It's a phenomenon and it's huge, but this kind of skyrocketing is so rare. And I think setting that precedent of early access games' inclusion will just lead to even messier situations down the line

idk i'd rather have them deal with this than to ignore the game they all played the most this year

even worse would be to have PUBG winning next year with them having barely played it that year, just because "it's officially out now"

oti

Banned
What do we feel like will be the holiday #content this year?

Murder Island
Destiny 2 something
Splatoon 2?

What else?

Antiwhippy

Now the question is if Dan doubles down on his gimmick to keep "himself" alive or actually dials it down a little.

I hope he's toned down a bit but dan being the troll he is I expect chaos.

I don't think he really goes out of his way to troll, i think he's just bad at xcom.

Lari

Nice beastcast!

Vinny's daughter sounds like me as a kid always wanting to be the villain!

Abby's confusion at Sonic Mania is perplexing to me, then again I grew up playing Sonic on my cousin's Mega Drive, so it's hard to imagine what it's like picking it up fresh now.
I love Sonic Mania, it's my fave game out of the ones I played this year.

killroy87

GOTY is both peak Jeff and worst Jeff. Going to wikipedia and just cliff notes-ing the end of Life is Strange as an argument against should have received a sound beatdown from everyone else int he studio. Whether or not you agree about LiS, that's just dumb tactics.

BTA

GOTY is both peak Jeff and worst Jeff. Going to wikipedia and just cliff notes-ing the end of Life is Strange as an argument against should have received a sound beatdown from everyone else int he studio. Whether or not you agree about LiS, that's just dumb tactics.

That was annoying as hell.

(At the same time, the last episode or so of LiS dropped the ball real fucking hard so I do think expecting them to have more or less finished it to discuss it was somewhat merited.)

Abby's confusion at Sonic Mania is perplexing to me, then again I grew up playing Sonic on my cousin's Mega Drive, so it's hard to imagine what it's like picking it up fresh now.

imagine being told for years and years that Sonic is about speed and that you only need to hold right to win, then being given a platformer that's about momentum/inertia and has intricate, multi-tiered level design

BTA

Life Is Strange was soooo good.

It's a bummer I can't play the new one yet.

I was planning to play it tomorrow but as more people have talked about the fact that they hired scabs to do the voice acting, I do feel sorta uncomfortable buying it.

Not really, especially when the people pushing it didn't even fucking finish the game that action would have been rendered moot if they did that.

Also Jeff going subzero to shank that game was a site to behold and one of the best GB GOTY moments. Bonus points for the schadenfreude it generates in here whenever its brought up.

Lari

imagine being told for years and years that Sonic is about speed and that you only need to hold right to win, then being given a platformer that's about momentum/inertia and has intricate, multi-tiered level design

I guess... There is a bit of a learning curve to the game. Cause I remember as a kid playing Sonic 1. I died a lot on the second level because you had to be mindful of the lava, so I just wanted to play the first level over and over.

But after a bit got the hang of the flow of the game, and started to have fun and got farther in the game (could never beat it tho). Hopefully Abby can stick through the rough start and gets to enjoy it.

Top Bottom