• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
GB is different to some degree, since they bring in their own funding independent of CBS. That doesn't mean CBS doesn't have some level of control, but none of us really know to what degree CBS can dictate GB's future.

Gamespot could have its doors closed at any moment though.

To be fair we keep saying that and it keeps on going.

I think at this point the namebrand is just too strong. It'll be gutted off its staff but it'll keep on going.

BTA

It'd help if they stopped talking about Taylor Swift

I always enjoy hearing Austin and Scoops's thoughts on video games. Whenever they go off topic though, the urge to unsubscribe grows stronger.

You do you but the thing they were talking about in that conversation (and the followup in the next episode especially) was relevant to media in general.

killroy87

To be fair we keep saying that and it keeps on going.

I think at this point the namebrand is just too strong. It'll be gutted off its staff but it'll keep on going.

Yeah it keeps going, but the fact that their staff is by and large a revolving door of people we've never seen before is never really a good indicator.

goty
best story
best looking

what else does it got locked
https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/906203314995421184

I looked up the end of Destiny 2 on youtube.

It ends exactly like you would expect. You kill the big bad guy. Everyone is happy. That one guy speaks a lot of inspirational bullshit like he always does. CREDITS. Oh and a teaser for I guess the triangle ship from Asteroids is coming to wreck shit up in Destiny 3?

Mr. F

Banned
GB is different to some degree, since they bring in their own funding independent of CBS. That doesn't mean CBS doesn't have some level of control, but none of us really know to what degree CBS can dictate GB's future.

Gamespot could have its doors closed at any moment though.

Hard not to get the impression Danny and Mary jumped ship for exactly that reason, internally they could probably see the writing on the wall to some extent whether it be the site's longterm health or the kind of content they were focusing on.

It's h a p p e n i n g
CuN3S3E.png

Mr. F

Banned
I looked up the end of Destiny 2 on youtube.

It ends exactly like you would expect. You kill the big bad guy. Everyone is happy. That one guy speaks a lot of inspirational bullshit like he always does. CREDITS. Oh and a teaser for I guess the triangle ship from Asteroids is coming to wreck shit up in Destiny 3?

my kingdom for a good video game story

kiguel182

And that's fine, it's why I still listen to him on waypoint, but I don't see how you can just break down what they talk about on the bombcast & beastcast as just "it's good".

I mean, that’s what they do.

Dan talking about Destiny was “it’s fun, it feels good and there’s a lot to do”. That was it. Jeff is very mechanically driven so he also does that while everyone nods, Jason is infamous for that and Brad isn’t that chatty either.

I don’t mind the beastcast doing it because they are funny but I don’t think the Bombcast has anything to fall back on because they are so rigid in their format and they rarely get into interesting discussions.

Their Rabbids talk was “it is easy at first and gets harder”. And sure, I’m simplifying and it might be unfair but it’s honestly what I got out of it.

Teddified

He said he'll start over on the Switch after playing 60h of it on Wii U already.
Extra Life 24h Bradth of the Wild incoming.

I dunno it's hard to trust brad on him saying he'll do something till it actually happens.

Also Destiny 2 just came out, I doubt he'd start zelda soon since the shooting feels so good.

patapuf

There's been quite a few good game stories lately.

But it's still super rare to have both, exellent gameplay and exellent systems. Though tbf, it's pretty difficult to tell a story if you have little control over what a player does.

imBask

Banned
btw I listened to the Bombcast and you guys are exagerating a bit. The PUBG thing is still debatable, they never straight up said it's not going to be in contention for GOTY, some people here just heard what they wanted to hear and spread that #fakeNews as if it were facts

it leaned towards "it won't" in the way they phrased it, but ultimately they haven't decided yet

m29a

Neo Member
pubg cant enter goty discussions
it isnt even a game yet

It'll be in the discussion whether it's released this year or not. It's too good to be ignored all because of some arbitrary rule of a not so serious game of the year list. It's a top 3 lock. Dan+Alex will push hard for it and the rest of the crew likes it enough as well.

Antiwhippy

I mean, that’s what they do.

Dan talking about Destiny was “it’s fun, it feels good and there’s a lot to do”. That was it. Jeff is very mechanically driven so he also does that while everyone nods, Jason is infamous for that and Brad isn’t that chatty either.

I don’t mind the beastcast doing it because they are funny but I don’t think the Bombcast has anything to fall back on because they are so rigid in their format and they rarely get into interesting discussions.

Their Rabbids talk was “it is easy at first and gets harder”. And sure, I’m simplifying and it might be unfair but it’s honestly what I got out of it.

Like I said though, I get that it's not your thing but it's just kinda how it's always been. Sometimes it has to do with the games as well, seeing that waypoint's discussion about mario+rabbids pretty much breaks down to "It's really good HOW CRAZY IT IS THAT IT'S GOOD HUUUUH."

But as always, the bombcast has never been about any deep dives, ever since it started in 2008. If anything the interesting stuff usually comes from the news section where jeff can lean more into his experience and knowledge of the industry.

killroy87

I've just come to accept that PUBG will win GOTY. I don't really agree with it, but it is what it is. Not worth me getting angry about.

kiguel182

I haven’t played Nier yet but based on what everyone says and the spoiler on the Bombcast it would be ridiculous if Horizon won best story.

Even ignoring Yakuza 0 because that one I know for a fact is a good story.

The bombcast used to do deep dives... into energy drink taste tests and eshop game descriptions.

Man those were good. Weirdly, deceptively good.
Can't wait for Jeff to utterly demolish Nier and lock in Horizon for Best Story. The salt will flow.

Does Jeff really like Horizon that much? The only thing I remember from their Bombcast discussions is that Zelda's climbing system make going back to Horizon difficult.

Haven't seen many UPFs this year, though, so I could be missing a bunch of more recent talk.

oti

Banned
I've just come to accept that PUBG will win GOTY. I don't really agree with it, but it is what it is. Not worth me getting angry about.

Angry? Why would anyone get angry over this? I thought we all agreed the deliberations were dumb and we're just having fun.

#NOPUBGGOTY #BELIEVE

Antiwhippy

The last thing jeff said about Horizon was that it didn't really stick with him after his playthrough so I don't think he'll be fighting that hard for it.

kiguel182

Like I said though, I get that it's not your thing but it's just kinda how it's always been. Sometimes it has to do with the games as well, seeing that waypoint's discussion about mario+rabbids pretty much breaks down to "It's really good HOW CRAZY IT IS THAT IT'S GOOD HUUUUH."

But as always, the bombcast has never been about any deep dives, ever since it started in 2008. If anything the interesting stuff usually comes from the news section where jeff can lean more into his experience and knowledge of the industry.

Maybe I just changed. I don’t know. I feel like when I started listening (2014 or 15, not sure) they devoted more time to anedoctes and side talk. I don’t need deep dives but if 1 plus hour of your podcast is talking about what you are playing it better be interesting.

Dan had his crazy stories and Drew and a different perspective and view on things. These days it’s a lot of PUBG and fighting games with long segments where I don’t feel anything interesting is said.

I’m not trying to bring everyone done, everyone enjoys different things and all but I just feel really down on the Bombcast.

imBask

Banned
Maybe I just changed. I don't know. I feel like when I started listening (2014 or 15, not sure) they devoted more time to anedoctes and side talk.

let's try to find out why :

"hey I have this crazy story" - A duder
"NOPE, not talking about that nope moving on nope" - Some host

oti

Banned
Thanks!

No one even talks about it anymore so it wasn't that good

Super Mario Maker is so good that everyone has accepted it as the best thing ever. There's no need to talk about it. Super Mario Maker is in all of us. In our hearts. We all are Super Mario Maker.

BTA

Nidhogg 2

Didn't sound like anyone came close to completing it. It's really good.

It is one of my favorite games ever and I've accepted that it's not going to get talked about much but it's still disappointing.

I started thinking about it again yesterday and got myself a little worked up thinking about how much I loved it. It's so rare that I've started from being slightly interested in something but not excited (even though I loved Transistor) and gradually consciously realizing it was one of my favorite games that I've played by the end of it.

imBask

Banned
remember that time Brad argued the curation system was problematic in Mario Maker and Jeff's rebutal was "shut up that's stupid you're stupid" and that won the argument?
or that time Jeff went to wikipedia and that won the argument?

yeah GOTY talk is really official and rules are really important, PUBG clearly cannot be allowed in such an important contest

Antiwhippy

Maybe I just changed. I don’t know. I feel like when I started listening (2014 or 15, not sure) they devoted more time to anedoctes and side talk. I don’t need deep dives but if 1 plus hour of your podcast is talking about what you are playing it better be interesting.

Dan had his crazy stories and Drew and a different perspective and view on things. These days it’s a lot of PUBG and fighting games with long segments where I don’t feel anything interesting is said.

I’m not trying to bring everyone done, everyone enjoys different things and all but I just feel really down on the Bombcast.

I mean you gotta keep in mind that they are coming off a PAX too. And I don't actually think they talk that much about fighting games, but I love fighting games so my bias is kicking in.

I'm honestly curious to how you'll feel if you go back to listen to that era of bombcasts, because crazy Dan stories are there and Drew were there, but as someone who went back constantly through the bombcast archives that period was those, but very interspersed between what you seem to dislike. There's a reason why we used to call it the Jeff+Brad show back then, because they would dominate the conversation. Dan has actually improved a lot when it came to joining in the conversation. Or maybe the dynamic suits him better now.

Top Bottom