• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

kiguel182

Alex should also write more. I really enjoy his writing and thoughts and we don't get enough of that.

Edit: I'm bored waiting for a doctors appointment so you guys get spammed. Luck you!

BTA

I don't know how Vice is less stable than CBS. I mean, without the subscription model GB wouldn't even be a thing.

Waypoint doesn't have subs and don't seem to
compromise because of that. They even got a TV show now.

According to their PAX Waypoint Radio episode they also can't post archives of some streams currently because their production team is too busy working on that TV show (which I've enjoyed watching, but still). So it's... not really a better situation than Beast's tiny studio, hah.

Plus, though I absolutely hope this does not happen, Vice can totally just go "this vertical ain't working for us" and shut things down at any time which isn't comparable to just doing badly sub-wise.

killroy87

Say what you want about Waypoint but at least they can describe a video game past "it feels good". Which I mean, it's valid sometimes but when that's all you have maybe your podcast doesn't need to be 2+ hours.

Yes, I'm still not over this weeks bombcast.

I love Austin, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for diving deep into the emotional resonance of every fucking aspect of every fucking game he plays. I love that he tries to take a deeper look, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood lol, and I feel the conversation can be predictable.

Fox318

drew is going to brazil!

gyHJ0JI.gif

Well OK, I think a game should definitely show the player how to play their game within their game. That's just how games are and should be made. Barring that, it should come with instructions that explain their mechanics. If the manual and in-game instructions don't suffice, then you either (rightfully) declare the game poorly made, or just google it and try to figure it out. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but people have options.
I mean a game can be good, but poor in other departments which is the case of Sonic Mania. Any game that requires me to "search" for story stuff or mechanics outside of the game itself is on some real oversight that I am not a fan of.

A game should present to me all its mechanics so that me, as a player, can experiment with said mechanics and see how far I could push them. Sonic Mania does none of that and with the good word of mouth spreading, more people will want to try it out and these newcomers are only going to end up frustrated more than anything else.

kiguel182

According to their PAX Waypoint Radio episode they also can't post archives of some streams currently because their production team is too busy working on that TV show (which I've enjoyed watching, but still). So it's... not really a better situation than Beast's tiny studio, hah.

Plus, though I absolutely hope this does not happen, Vice can totally just go "this vertical ain't working for us" and shut things down at any time which isn't comparable to just doing badly sub-wise.

I didn't know that. But I can see how the Tv show can take their time.

I love Austin, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for diving deep into the emotional resonance of every fucking aspect of every fucking game he plays. I love that he tries to take a deeper look, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood lol, and I feel the conversation can be predictable.

That's why I feel Vinny and company balanced him so well. They would bring in silliness to balance that while Austin also made them think more about games.

I'm really tired of the state of the discourse in the Bombcast lately. The Beastcast is much more comedy oriented so it's fine. Altought Alex can get serious even if these days he does that less.

That is why I do miss Austin on the Beastcast sometimes: Alex goes about as far as I do when it comes to diving into what makes a game work and not but Austin managed to make me think a little more about that.

Edit: Austin said "This is the run." CBS lawyers prepping.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I didn't know that. But I can see how the Tv show can take their time.

That's why I feel Vinny and company balanced him so well. They would bring in silliness to balance that while Austin also made them think more about games.

I'm really tired of the state of the discourse in the Bombcast lately. The Beastcast is much more comedy oriented so it's fine. Altought Alex can get serious even if these days he does that less.

I actually kinda don't understand what you're getting at. The bombcast goes fairly detailed about what they like about a game? Like I don't get a sense of what you're saying for this week's.

kiguel182

On Waypoint they all do deep dives on games so I feel they miss an audience stand in like we had on the Beastcast where Austin would push the guys to analyze things deeper while at the same time pushing the audience to do the same.

killroy87

Yeah, I listen to the Bombcast cuz it's still something to listen to, but if I was a brand new listener, I'd probably fail to see what the hype was about and turn it off pretty quick. There just isn't a good balance of personalities there anymore. They need a Patrick, Austin, or Alex, someone who takes it just a bit more seriously. Or at least as seriously as Jeff takes it, but without the cynicism.

Beastcast is infinitely more enjoyable, but I still rarely get truly good discussion about video games.

You guys are laughing now, but we'll see who's laughing when Waypoint eats Giant Bomb and your sole source of gaming coverage comes in the form of which video game character is fucking and which is celibate.

Kiryu and Doomguy are celibate

Kiryu is too bumbling to ever get any and Doomguy doesn't actually know what sex is because it has nothing to do with purging hell of any and all life

Antiwhippy

On Waypoint they all do deep dives on games so I feel they miss an audience stand in like we had on the Beastcast where Austin would push the guys to analyze things deeper while at the same time pushing the audience to do the same.

And that's fine, it's why I still listen to him on waypoint, but I don't see how you can just break down what they talk about on the bombcast & beastcast as just "it's good".

Harpuia

I mean a game can be good, but poor in other departments which is the case of Sonic Mania. Any game that requires me to "search" for story stuff or mechanics outside of the game itself is on some real oversight that I am not a fan of.

A game should present to me all its mechanics so that me, as a player, can experiment with said mechanics and see how far I could push them. Sonic Mania does none of that and with the good word of mouth spreading, more people will want to try it out and these newcomers are only going to end up frustrated more than anything else.

You're right, nobody should ever have to google something to learn a game. Which is why I said someone can rightfully declare a game trash if they can't figure it out from in-game tutorials or the instructions.

Things like secrets are one thing to google, but to have to learn the different contexts that the jump button works differently under is another thing.

Kiryu and Doomguy are celibate

Kiryu is too bumbling to ever get any and Doomguy doesn't actually know what sex is because it has nothing to do with purging hell of any and all life
With every hump, Doomguy rips and tears whatever is infront of him so even if he were to try to do so, he couldn't and that's his curse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You guys are laughing now, but we'll see who's laughing when Waypoint eats Giant Bomb and your sole source of gaming coverage comes in the form of which video game character is fucking and which is celibate.

Waypoint won't be around in 5 years. Outside of this thread and rarely Gaf I don't see anyone talking about it. Their most popular youtube video only has 50k views. Site feels like a Web 2.0 offshoot that showed up decades later.

and I can get that fucking talk from Polygon by the originator the Grifster

I miss Austin on the beastcast but he could definitely get a bit “preachy” at times (this might not be the best word) and dominate discussions. However I’m also really into the current laid back funny vibe of the Beastcast. Reminds me of the Bombcast with Ryan, Jeff and vinny in a way.

Wunder

why does both giant bomb and waypoint right click or F everything into their inventory but then drag all their attachments slowly to their gun? Drag your items and right click the attachments!

Waypoint won't be around in 5 years. Outside of this thread and rarely Gaf I don't see anyone talking about it. Their most popular youtube video only has 50k views. Site feels like a Web 2.0 offshoot that showed up decades later.

It doesn’t feel like Vice has given them the first freedom or resources to grow into their own thing? Like compare Polygon to the Verge. 2 completely distinct websites that you’d never know were sister sites at first glance. You can’t say this for waypoint and all of those other mini vice blogs. Their vice url doesn’t help btw.

kiguel182

I actually kinda don't understand what you're getting at. The bombcast goes fairly detailed about what they like about a game? Like I don't get a sense of what you're saying for this week's.

They are very superficial. They say they like the feeling or a mechanic but never why and how that impacts things besides "it's fun".

"This game is fun" seems to be the extent of their take on things. And they spend more than half the podcast talking about "I played this game and it's fun". There seems to be no interesting back and forth and also no interesting takes or analyses. I don't feel like I'm learning anything or being entertained.

The format of the podcast is just very bland and their takes these days aren't anything that makes you think. It's all very dry and descriptive.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but that's what I've felt lately.

Mr. F

Banned

Taken with a grain of salt since I believe Vice Canada is technically run separate, but from friends that work there they sound like a pretty frugal company (i.e. resourcing issues and non-competitive pay). They already took one of Waypoint's writers in that last round of layoffs which is a bummer.

ev0

I enjoyed Autsin taking Dan to task over the use of the word "masterpiece" recently. I feel that Dan needs that challenge once in awhile, and that deeper look at things id def missing. Although I do agree, I'm not in the mood for a super deep dive all the time.

Wunder

I enjoyed Autsin taking Dan to task over the use of the word "masterpiece" recently. I feel that Dan needs that challenge once in awhile, and that deeper look at things id def missing. Although I do agree, I'm not in the mood for a super deep dive all the time.

I especially liked how after Austin carefully and thoughtfully explained his idea of a masterpiece, Dan immediately responded with "I think there's about 15-20 masterpieces out right now"

Antiwhippy

They are very superficial. They say they like the feeling or a mechanic but never why and how that impacts things besides "it's fun".

"This game is fun" seems to be the extent of their take on things. And they spend more than half the podcast talking about "I played this game and it's fun". There seems to be no interesting back and forth and also no interesting takes or analyses. I don't feel like I'm learning anything or being entertained.

The format of the podcast is just very bland and their takes these days aren't anything that makes you think. It's all very dry and descriptive.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but that's what I've felt lately.

I mean if you prefer a super deep dive than you prefer it, whatever, that fine. I love Austin for stuff like that too. Not that waypoint is usually about that which is why I don't really enjoy the episodes that he isn't on.

But I can't say that the bombcast is ever about deep dives like that s.

This is true.

killroy87

I especially liked how after Austin carefully and thoughtfully explained his idea of a masterpiece, Dan immediately responded with "I think there's about 15-20 masterpieces out right now"

Depending on the mood I'm in, there can be something incredibly satisfying about Austin carefully and eloquently speaking his thoughts on something, and then Dan just responding in a way that's clear he doesn't give a shit lol.

Stoze

I'm playing Far Cry 2 for the first time...this really hasn't aged well. I like the map and GPS stuff and how it's integrated in, the atmosphere and setting, and how the game just lets you loose early on, but that's about it. Everything else about the game feels sub-par and dated, including the gunplay and sandbox combat which needed to be its saving grace.

I'd say feeling dated is the curse of being such an influential game, but when I think about it everything I want out of this game I'd probably get it out of something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R instead, which came out earlier.

killroy87

I'm playing Far Cry 2 for the first time...this really hasn't aged well. I like the map and GPS stuff and how it's integrated in, the atmosphere and setting, and how the game just lets you loose early on, but that's about it. Everything else about the game feels sub-par and dated, including the gunplay and sandbox combat which needed to be its saving grace.

I'd say feeling dated is the curse of being such an influential game, but when I think about it everything I'd want out of this game I'd probably get out of S.T.A.L.K.E.R instead which came out earlier.

There aren't many things more overblown around these parts than the supposed brilliance of Far Cry 2.

J_Viper

It'd help if they stopped talking about Taylor Swift

I always enjoy hearing Austin and Scoops's thoughts on video games. Whenever they go off topic though, the urge to unsubscribe grows stronger.

If you want to get real.

I dont think any website with a major corporation behind it lie CBS or VICE is a place you could go "yeah. They will totally be around in 5 years" and feel sure about it.

Shit. Look at the husk Gamespot is these days and the void it has become.

Look at a few months ago where Waypoint had to layoff the people who did Vice Gaming before them because "lol restructuring. "

Everyone is 1 bad financial quarter away from being replaced with hype 20 somethings doing LATEST GAMING NEWZ youtube videos every 2 hours

Phatmac

It's a shame Dan came in after Austin left. I'd love to hear them on the Beastcast with Austin getting mad at the dumb shit he says.

Antiwhippy

If you want to get real.

I dont think any website with a major corporation behind it lie CBS or VICE is a place you could go "yeah. They will totally be around in 5 years" and feel sure about it.

Shit. Look at the husk Gamespot is these days.

Look at a few months ago where Waypoint had to layoff the people who did Vice Gaming before them because "lol restructuring.

Everyone is 1 bad financial quarter away from being replaced with hype 20 somethings doing LATEST GAMING NEWZ youtube videos every 2 hours

To be fair I can see that about Vice, I don't actually know how they plan to be sustainable just through articles traditional ad blocks. It simply makes no sense.

At least giantbomb has a somewhat more concrete revenue stream.

killroy87

If you want to get real.

Shit. Look at the husk Gamespot is these days and the void it has become.

Look at a few months ago where Waypoint had to layoff the people who did Vice Gaming before them because "lol restructuring. "

GB is different to some degree, since they bring in their own funding independent of CBS. That doesn't mean CBS doesn't have some level of control, but none of us really know to what degree CBS can dictate GB's future.

Gamespot could have its doors closed at any moment though.

Top Bottom