• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Breath of the Wild is so good it made me like games again

like, in all honesty it rekindled a love for the hobby that I hadn't really felt in a long time

Persona 5 is so bad it made me question my love for Persona 4

Boy did I have that in the back of my mind after finishing P5. It was a good game but there were just enough shortcomings and problems I had with the game that it made me wonder "Did Persona 4 have these problems as well, I was just younger and it was my first Persona game so I was more accepting of its faults?" I'm afraid to go back and find out because P4 is my GOAT and I don't want to sully that.

KGknjhm.gif

This looks incredible.

Persona 5 is so bad it made me question my love for Persona 4

same. I realize P4 had its share of problematic shit but I do feel like it was much more interested in its characters. Also helped that the themes of the dungeons were directly related to the characters instead of nothing antagonists like in P5.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
same. I realize P4 had its share of problematic shit but I do feel like it was much more interested in its characters. Also helped that the themes of the dungeons were directly related to the characters instead of nothing antagonists like in P5.

Tying the characters to the dungeons is a really great move by persona 4.

Too bad they undermined the development in the dungeons immediately once they're are done!

Hindl

Persona 5 was good. Everyone wasn't constantly telling you how great you are
I love BotW, but I don't necessarily want the next 3D Zelda game to be similar. I want traditional dungeons. I don't need the world to be that large even if I think it worked so well with BotW.

I love Majora's Mask, but I get how some people wouldn't. Link's Awakening is the best 2D-style Zelda as far as I'm concerned.
I dunno, I get wanting more traditional dungeons, but I think that could work in BotW. Honestly, one part of BotW that disappointed me was that it seemed like they were trying to make massive dungeons within the world, but it didn't translate. Look at this quote from 2014:
The report lists several ways in which the new Zelda title differs from previous entries, but the actual scale of the game world being the most prominent. According to the source, all content presented during 2011's E3 has been scrapped to build an enormous adventure experience from scratch. "The first test dungeon they made was a giant forest running on early and buggy Wii U hardware," Wii U Daily's source said. "The dungeon was bigger than the Hyrule field in Ocarina, and the whole thing is one dungeon. You use the GamePad to navigate, avoid traps, follow clues etc. It's dark, lush, with a ton of trees, foliage, some which you have to cut your way through. Its scope and details are unlike anything you've seen in a Zelda game."
Now think if they pulled it off. In the Faron Woods south of the Plateau, there's a section that kind of evokes this, but it just ends in another shrine. But a BotW 2 could pull that off now that the foundation is down. Replace the Divine Beasts with something like the Champions being sealed and the player has to find and release them. Stick one of them in a massive forest that the player can approach from multiple different directions, and the different routes you take result in different environmental puzzles to figure out. And I mean more traditional puzzles, although I thought some of the puzzles BotW had were really creative and could still populate the world. If they blow out the BotW idea, combine it with traditional dungeons
, and add the hookshot,
it would be amazing

Shrink the size of BotW by about a 3rd and combine regions (Like both of the snow regions and some of the wooded regions) so you get down to 7-8 regions instead of the 13 in BotW and make a region-specific dungeon like the one I described above and that would help a lot. I loved a lot of regions, but there wasn't a ton to do in them if they didn't have a Divine Beast

That's actually interesting! BotW made me appreciate aspects of the other Zeldas that I'd taken for granted. In a way it made me like them more.

Same here. BotW will probably remain my GOTY but it made me miss quality dungeons, boss fights, etc. Ideally the BotW followup keeps those open world immersive sim qualities as it introduces what was missing.

It reminds me of how I felt about Resident Evil 4. One of the best games I played but at the same time had me missing things from Resident Evil 2 and the Gamecube RE1 Remake.

Antiwhippy

"Hey guys, 5th time we've stolen hearts here, but seeing that we finished the dungeon in one day how can we be sure that we've actually stolen their heart even though we went through the same thing as those 5 other times?"

"Just text me a reminder everyday lol"

"For the next 30 days?"

"Totally, yes."

Valtýr

I would play a version of Persona 5 that has like 90% less dungeon bullshit. I got passed the Futaba dungeon and just lost all enthusiasm to play because I knew I had so fucking much more left and I knew the dungeons would just keep getting annoying.

Antiwhippy

If you cut out every text message Persona 5 would be like a 37% better game.

I'm kind of joking around seeing that I don't mind it that much, but yes.

Or at least do more with it.

Which is one of the weaknesses of Persona 5 seeing that it doesn't feel like the way friends actually talk to each other in chat.

imBask

Banned
the fact that 3 of the first 4 dungeons in P5 are atrocious makes it a really hard sell. Especially since that's like 35h of gameplay. i'm never going back

LiK

If you cut out every text message Persona 5 would be like a 37% better game.

Or had more fun with them. Tokyo Mirage Sessions had a lot of really entertaining text messages which made the characters even more likeable.

the fact that 3 of the first 4 dungeons in P5 are atrocious makes it a really hard sell. Especially since that's like 35h of gameplay. i'm never going back

3rd dungeon was great and had such a great theme.

Antiwhippy

Huh.

I would say the dungeons got worse as the game went on.

Which is fine because dungeons were always the worst part of persona.

TraBuch

Banned
3 > 5 > 4

All three games separated by the tiniest of margins, all three games I love.

Am I the only one in the world that somehow loves all three?

Weird opinion: I think I preferred the dungeons in Persona 4 because they were so simplistic. Didn’t particularly care for the puzzles or gimmicks of dungeons when I’m just trying to reach the boss.

3 > 5 > 4

I like the three but in a different order.

Antiwhippy

3 > 5 > 4

Oh don't get me wrong, I speak of their flaws but I still love them.

And that is the correct order yes.

Catvoca

Banned
3 > 5 > 4

I like them all as well, though they certainly have their issues. I'd go 3>4>5, with 3 being one my favourite games ever. 4 and 5 are pretty close but I'd probably give to to 4 just because it was my first Persona game and 5 suffered from some diminishing returns.

daveo42

Banned
The text stuff was bad but easily skippable since it was a retread on the conversation you already had. Seemed kind of like the team working on the texts were completely separate from the gameplay team, but they were both told to make sure they covered all of the story beats. Better scripting should have been included for when you cleared a dungeon early or when you started dating a character. I will say at least 4 included dialogue in the dungeons around that.

Dungeons though were the best change. 3 and 4 were always a slog because of the dungeon design (or lack there of). I was sick of the dungeon portions by the end of both games and dreaded spending any time in them. 5 made the dungeons fun, interesting, and varied enough.

They still need to move away from the high school setting and the calendar business unless they can better manage story pacing.

LiK

3 > 5 > 4

Hope this ain't based on dungeons cuz P3 dungeons were trash. I couldn't finish P3 cuz the dungeons turned me off.

Top Bottom