• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

if PUBG doesn't make the cut, what's winning GOTY (without assuming Mario because we don't know yet)?

they (Jeff) turned on BoTW
they (Jeff) turned on Dest2ny
they (Jeff) don't really care about Nier

I actually don't know what the contenders even are anymore

I think its going to come down to PUBG, BOTW, and probably Mario (Assuming it turns out as good and wacky as it looks). I think the raid will have soured them on Destiny enough that it won't win, plus the feeling of its just what destiny 1 should have been, not a "proper sequel" etc. Possibly Nier:A in the mix too if enough of them actually make it through?

I want an Odyssey video from each coast. Or, and hear me out here...

A quick look that starts with west. At a stopping point halfway through, it cuts to Jeff, wearing the Oddysey hat. He does a fake-ass smile and throws if off screen like a fucking frisbee.

SMASH CUT TO THE HAT LANDING ON VINNY'S HEAD, QUICK LOOK CONTINUES WITH THE GBEAST MARIO EXPERTS

A quick look that starts with west. At a stopping point halfway through, it cuts to Jeff, wearing the Oddysey hat. He does a fake-ass smile and throws if off screen like a fucking frisbee.

SMASH CUT TO THE HAT LANDING ON VINNY'S HEAD, QUICK LOOK CONTINUES WITH THE GBEAST MARIO EXPERTS

That would be awesome, yes please!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the more interesting discussion would be their old game of the year.

I want to see Dan fight for mario sunshine, a game he considers to be a masterpiece.

swimbuff

I feel like it's been a while since we last had an OT title that wasn't just a direct quote from one of the staff (I could be wrong). Maybe we could change it up.

Since their raid backup seem to have given up on them:

|OT| Some raids you win, some raids you lose.

Damn you for even suggesting something this amazing.

It will NEVER happen now.

freetacos

I think its going to come down to PUBG, BOTW, and probably Mario (Assuming it turns out as good and wacky as it looks). I think the raid will have soured them on Destiny enough that it won't win, plus the feeling of its just what destiny 1 should have been, not a "proper sequel" etc. Possibly Nier:A in the mix too if enough of them actually make it through?

Who aside from Dan did BOTW really get its hooks into ("I fucking love this game and I HAVE to play it")? Maybe Brad/Abby?

I'm not talking about "I respect this game", or "this is a pretty good game", but Dan's passion for it.

Who aside from Dan did BOTW really get its hooks into ("I fucking love this game and I HAVE to play it")? Maybe Brad/Abby?

I'm not talking about "I respect this game", or "this is a pretty good game", but Dan's passion for it.

I don't think any of them match Dan's passion, but it seemed like everyone was pretty into it for awhile except maybe Alex? Yea the ending soured some (Vinny for sure, can't remember if others talked about it) and durability, dungeons, etc, but seemed like they all had a pretty good time with it overall. Could be way off but thats half the fun with GOTY right?

BTA

KGknjhm.gif

This looks incredible.

I saw that on Twitter earlier and it sure instantly sold me on that game.

EDIT: oh wow I didn't realize there was a full trailer too

why did you make me want something that will never happen

Persona 5 was good. Everyone wasn't constantly telling you how great you are

I dunno, I get wanting more traditional dungeons, but I think that could work in BotW. Honestly, one part of BotW that disappointed me was that it seemed like they were trying to make massive dungeons within the world, but it didn't translate. Look at this quote from 2014:

Now think if they pulled it off. In the Faron Woods south of the Plateau, there's a section that kind of evokes this, but it just ends in another shrine. But a BotW 2 could pull that off now that the foundation is down. Replace the Divine Beasts with something like the Champions being sealed and the player has to find and release them. Stick one of them in a massive forest that the player can approach from multiple different directions, and the different routes you take result in different environmental puzzles to figure out. And I mean more traditional puzzles, although I thought some of the puzzles BotW had were really creative and could still populate the world. If they blow out the BotW idea, combine it with traditional dungeons
, and add the hookshot,
it would be amazing

Shrink the size of BotW by about a 3rd and combine regions (Like both of the snow regions and some of the wooded regions) so you get down to 7-8 regions instead of the 13 in BotW and make a region-specific dungeon like the one I described above and that would help a lot. I loved a lot of regions, but there wasn't a ton to do in them if they didn't have a Divine Beast
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. A better execution of the Divine Beasts in particular would have gone a long way.

I just kind of want a Majora-like side story in the BotW engine for the next game. Then they can go super ambitious for the next one.
Same here. BotW will probably remain my GOTY but it made me miss quality dungeons, boss fights, etc. Ideally the BotW followup keeps those open world immersive sim qualities as it introduces what was missing.

It reminds me of how I felt about Resident Evil 4. One of the best games I played but at the same time had me missing things from Resident Evil 2 and the Gamecube RE1 Remake.
Yep. They made a big move to divert from Zelda convention which worked most of the time, but they also kind of threw the baby out with the bathwater.

swimbuff

Where's the Quick Look for Dragon's Dogma Remastered? We need Patrick and Austin back in here to cover it.

I can't justify a purchase right now because there are so many good games in my library from this year alone that I haven't played yet but goddamn do I want to play some DD. Best playing Action RPG ever to grace our lives and the story gets so damn batshit crazy at the end I want to see it again.

Edit: I don't know if Waypoint does QL style videos but if Austin and Patrick did one on DD I would watch that instantly.

Harpuia

Is this the part where I say there really hasn't been a quality dungeon in a 3D Zelda since Wind Waker. Or a quality 3D Zelda for that matter. Hell even Wind Waker was debatable, if it weren't for how wonderfully designed and atmospheric they were.

The chief complaint I always see with BoTW was how empty it was, but honestly, walking around and looking at the world is fun in itself. Discovering things is also cool, but the world was fun to navigate around, and the shrines were nice bite sized puzzles to solve, a good break from exploring the world.

Hindl

Is this the part where I say there really hasn't been a quality dungeon in a 3D Zelda since Wind Waker. Or a quality 3D Zelda for that matter. Hell even Wind Waker was debatable, if it weren't for how wonderfully designed and atmospheric they were.

The chief complaint I always see with BoTW was how empty it was, but honestly, walking around and looking at the world is fun in itself. Discovering things is also cool, but the world was fun to navigate around, and the shrines were nice bite sized puzzles to solve, a good break from exploring the world.
Did you play Skyward Sword? The dungeons, especially Ancient Cistern, were phenomenal. TP had good dungeons too. WW probably had the weakest dungeons out of the 3D ones
He didn't miss much, so that's okay.
I would call the Galaxy games missing something

Ashby

WW dungeons were trash. I'm a TP hater to this day but ill at least acknowledge the dungeons were way better than WW's. SS had some real good ones.

Harpuia

Did you play Skyward Sword? The dungeons, especially Ancient Cistern, were phenomenal. TP had good dungeons too. WW probably had the weakest dungeons out of the 3D ones

I feel like I got up to the possibly last dungeon (the one in the desert, I think?) and called it quits there. Honestly at some point it felt like I was going through the motions of the usual Zelda dungeon loop. I found them painfully simple in a way that was really boring. And the only thing waiting for me beyond there was some reveal about the Master sword or some boring lore shit that I honestly don't care about, as harsh as it sounds.

Yeah WW was possibly a bad example. Majora's Mask was the last game to do something interesting with the dungeons, and I really should give Link between worlds a try. I feel like I'm doing my 3DS a disservice by never having played that game.

TheChits

Ancient Cistern is my favorite dungeon and has my favorite boss fight in the entire series. So damn cool

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I played the Galaxy games long after their releases and I feel like I could have lived the rest of my life without having played them. They hold no value to me.

yeah I wasn't the biggest Galaxy fan. Great soundtrack, though.

Link Between Worlds is like a super half-assed version of BotW, where eliminating the Zelda structure provides zero benefit and just makes the game completely worse in every single way. I'm still baffled that a majority of critics and fans believe that the small modicum of freedom it allows you justifies everything else being so lackluster.

Ashby

Link Between Worlds is like a super half-assed version of BotW, where eliminating the Zelda structure provides zero benefit and just makes the game completely worse in every single way. I'm still baffled that a majority of critics and fans believe that the small modicum of freedom it allows you justifies everything else being so lackluster.
It and Spirit Tracks are the only Zeldas I didn't finish.

Zocano

yeah I wasn't the biggest Galaxy fan. Great soundtrack, though.

They're not *bad* games, I just don't find anything remotely memorable about them. The core gimmick just felt underutilized across the board. Also the standard orchestral soundtrack didn't do much for me either. The two games as a whole just did absolutely nothing for me.

On the brightside, having replayed Super Mario Sunshine recently (alongside the beasties), I am pretty sure Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are solidly my favorite and best 3D platformers. Just exceptionally amazing games.

Oakinn

It takes every ounce of my will not to enter every new Odyssey thread that pops up. I cannot wait.

As someone said earlier I hope PUBG isnt eligible. It would make this years discussion one of the best in GB history.

Zocano

I would love to play Mario Odyssey, the game looks really good and at least in most ways is the kind of platformer I want, but I have no switch and no real desire to buy it solely for one game. Nothing else on the switch entices me and I played Breath of the Wild on WiiU.

They're not *bad* games, I just don't find anything remotely memorable about them. The core gimmick just felt underutilized across the board. Also the standard orchestral soundtrack didn't do much for me either. The two games as a whole just did absolutely nothing for me.

On the brightside, having replayed Super Mario Sunshine recently (alongside the beasties), I am pretty sure Banjo Kazooie/Tooie are solidly my favorite and best 3D platformers. Just exceptionally amazing games.

Banjo-Tooie is trash, and hewing closer to that style instead of BK's ruined Yooka-Laylee.

I would love to play Mario Odyssey, the game looks really good and at least in most ways is the kind of platformer I want, but I have no switch and no real desire to buy it solely for one game. Nothing else on the switch entices me and I played Breath of the Wild on WiiU.

I really don't think it will be eligible. Jeff has said several times that he doesn't think it should be, and suggested that they change their rules for next year....assuming it isn't released on Xbox...

Actually I don't know if they count games in the preview program either so it still may not be eligible.

Top Bottom