• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Imagine a future where movies are shot for vertical screens.

I remember a few years ago thinking phones would handle it in two ways, one right and one wrong.

1. Phone camera sensors would be large enough and square to automatically capture any orientation in landscape video.
2. Apps like YouTube would start to accommodate vertical video, playing them "full screen" on vertically oriented phones.

The latter happened, the former remains but a beautiful dream.

i think it would be absolutely inane to disqualify pubg for goty this year because of a technicality, and i've no love for the game. never played it and i probably won't get to since i can't afford a gaming pc or an xbox one. it captured the hearts of almost everyone on staff, it got a dedicated stream that brought everyone on the site together for months and months, and it's also the industry's biggest phenomenon of the year.

it's going to appear on everyone's personal list except jason's. it's highly likely it'll be vinny and dan's goty. it's probably gonna be in the top 3-5 for brad, alex, and even jeff. it's going to win multiple awards during the entire deliberations week.

what a silly thing it would be to have it not even considered as the site goty in light of all that. comparing pubg to darkest dungeon or dead cells is just being willfully ignorant of how wildly different the case is for pubg.

The good news is I've learned I can work from home (and thus have Sunshine on in the background) some Wednesdays and still make it into the city in time afterwards for my Japanese lessons at night.

Today's not such a day, though, so I'll just catch it when I get home later tonight, since it should be up by then. Have fun!

I really like the rewind a live-stream feature on GB... But (and I might be wrong here) doesn't it go away once they stop the live stream? Like I have to be caught up before they end the stream, right?

Salvadora

I would be surprised is they didn't change the rules to accommodate PUBG for GOTY.

It would be the elephant in the room if it was excluded.

Hasney

i think it would be absolutely inane to disqualify pubg for goty this year because of a technicality, and i've no love for the game. never played it and i probably won't get to since i can't afford a gaming pc or an xbox one. it captured the hearts of almost everyone on staff, it got a dedicated stream that brought everyone on the site together for months and months, and it's also the industry's biggest phenomenon of the year.

it's going to appear on everyone's personal list except jason's. it's highly likely it'll be vinny and dan's goty. it's probably gonna be in the top 3-5 for brad, alex, and even jeff. it's going to win multiple awards during the entire deliberations week.

what a silly thing it would be to have it not even considered as the site goty in light of all that. comparing pubg to darkest dungeon or dead cells is just being willfully ignorant of how wildly different the case is for pubg.

Nah, I agree with Jeff. You dont just change established rules midway through the year because of one exception. GOTY is a dumb thing, but it's a dumb thing with rules, dammit.

I would be surprised is they didn't change the rules to accommodate PUBG for GOTY.

It would be the elephant in the room if it was excluded.

Jeff has already said he's probably against it. It's not an elephant in any room if it's not eligible.

Ah, ok! :p

I'm having a lot of fun with it! It does have many bugs, however. Had the game soft lock twice now. The solution, per the devs, seems to be to spam the B button many times. They suspect that cutscenes may be triggering outside of view, making it appear that the game locks up.

Otherwise, the golfing is great, the dialogue fun, and the price-point is definitely a great one. Also has MP!

I'll bet those bugs get ironed out before too long. I'm undecided on whether to get Gold Story or Stardew Valley to play on an upcoming business trip.

Wunder

Nah, I agree with Jeff. You dont just change established rules midway through the year because of one exception. GOTY is a dumb thing, but it's a dumb thing with rules, dammit.

Jeff has already said he's probably against it.

why would it be midway through the year? They can just include any early access game this year and be done with it. If any other EA game were good enough to be included in GOTY discussions then they'd make it in.

Hasney

why would it be midway through the year? They can just include any early access game this year and be done with it. If any other EA game were good enough to be included in GOTY discussions then they'd make it in.

Because the rules were previously that early access doesn't count. They would be changing it just because PUBG released.

Like I said, Jeff said he was against it, but Alex sounded like he wanted to fight the rule.

Wunder

Because the rules were previously that early access doesn't count. They would be changing it just because PUBG released.

Like I said, Jeff said he was against it, but Alex sounded like he wanted to fight the rule.

Having it be at the start of next year would make no difference though, game devs aren't changing their early access rules because of Giant Bomb.

Are those games eligible next year also though?

They'd have to decide on the specifics (something they'd do next year if Jeff wanted to change it) but probably not? Take the state of the game during GOTY time and that's the game's entry for the year?

I agree, changing the rules for 1 single game isn't fair. They'd have to do it for all of them... But then it gets messy about how far along in Early Access a game has to be to be eligible... Then is it eligible next year.

I'll bet those bugs get ironed out before too long. I'm undecided on whether to get Gold Story or Stardew Valley to play on an upcoming business trip.

For a trip, I'd have to recommend Stardew. Has a lot more to it. You'll probably get bored of just golfing. While there are a few other, one time things you can do in Golf Story, the game pales in comparison to Stardew in terms of content.

For a trip, I'd have to recommend Stardew. Has a lot more to it. You'll probably get bored of just golfing. While there are a few other, one time things you can do in Golf Story, the game pales in comparison to Stardew in terms of content.

Thanks! I'll probably end up with both eventually.

Hindl

Dan's Central

Even better

Have to agree, plus Stardew is so polished and the music is better. I do wish Golf Story was more open and had repeatable stuff like Stardew instead of a straight RPG

Lari

I remember a few years ago thinking phones would handle it in two ways, one right and one wrong.

1. Phone camera sensors would be large enough and square to automatically capture any orientation in landscape video.
2. Apps like YouTube would start to accommodate vertical video, playing them "full screen" on vertically oriented phones.

The latter happened, the former remains but a beautiful dream.

Yeah totally, phones being able to shoot in a "proper" view regardless of orientation would be amazing.

swimbuff

I'm at right before the start of the final tournament in Golf Story and I'm kinda running out of steam to actually finish it. The game has been very easy up to this point and then there's a weird difficulty spike at the end, which still isn't super hard but I'm sorta just put off by the imbalance.

To be fair to the game, it's been real easy for me to bounce off a game lately for the dumbest of reasons and I think maybe I just need a break from playing games in general.

Edit: also after shutting off Golf Story I immediately played a few rounds in Neo Turf Masters which is still the finest golf game on the Switch.

oti

Banned
I'm at right before the start of the final tournament in Golf Story and I'm kinda running out of steam to actually finish it. The game has been very easy up to this point and then there's a weird difficulty spike at the end, which still isn't super hard but I'm sorta just put off by the imbalance.

To be fair to the game, it's been real easy for me to bounce off a game lately for the dumbest of reasons and I think maybe I just need a break from playing games in general.

Edit: also after shutting off Golf Story I immediately played a few rounds in Neo Turf Masters which is still the finest golf game on the Switch.

I think I'll wait for a patch at this point.

Tomorrow's a crazy day for Switch. Stardew, Völgarr, Metal Slug X, Axiom Verge.

Hasney

Edit: also after shutting off Golf Story I immediately played a few rounds in Neo Turf Masters which is still the finest golf game

SNK should just hire the dudes who did all the great work with the story part of Golf Story and make Neo Turf Story.

I also fixed your post. It didn't need the "on the Switch" qualifier in there.

Abby back at those bets. Going to Dan, knowing he's hard for cash.

Poor Dan.

EDIT:

I didn't realize they're already at 59 shines. I don't want it to end. :(

Top Bottom