• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Hasney

I think the way games are going in general that it would be best that from next year that the GOTY is about the games of that year, no matter when they released, as long as you can make a good case as to why it was one of the defining games of 2018. Not just Jeff played some C64 games.

Otherwise, having a game in Early Access essentially makes them get 2 bites of the cherry. One during EA and one during actual "release".

Lari

I'm looking forward to the return of Steal My Sunshine but alas I wont be able to catch it live. Stupid real life getting in the way!

I was on the same boat. But my wish was granted and the meeting I had scheduled got postponed to tomorrow.

No roadblocks to my sunshine! *dances*

I'm almost certain Jeff said that if it doesn't release this year they won't consider it. But also that he wants to have a discussion about unfinished games. Think this was on the bombcast after PAX

Yeah, I totally trust Jeff on this, he's the type to think about the future... Probably could do a "best early access" category so it will for sure win at least 1 award this year. But I also wonder if Blue Hole is sprinting hard to finish this game since they know it could likely win some awards this year, and might be a bit old news by December 2018.

EDIT: Don't they record GOTY in early December? This could get real akward if PUBG launches in like mid/late December...

I think the way games are going in general that it would be best that from next year that the GOTY is about the games of that year, no matter when they released, as long as you can make a good case as to why it was one of the defining games of 2018. Not just Jeff played some C64 games.

Otherwise, having a game in Early Access essentially makes them get 2 bites of the cherry. One during EA and one during actual "release".

They would need to have a rule that if an early access game is submitted for GOTY consideration that is its sole year of eligibility.

Tubobutts

They aren’t going to name Sunshine the Goty Dan.

I actually liked Clay Fighter on Super Nintendo.
latest

Yeah, I totally trust Jeff on this, he's the type to think about the future... Probably could do a "best early access" category so it will for sure win at least 1 award this year. But I also wonder if Blue Hole is sprinting hard to finish this game since they know it could likely win some awards this year, and might be a bit old news by December 2018.

What does 1.0 even mean for PUBG, they could release the next patch and say it's 1.0 and I would believe them, it's not missing any fundamental thing right now that makes it incomplete, I would be surprised if they don't release 1.0 before the end of the year, they really have nothing to lose doing it.

What does 1.0 even mean for PUBG, they could release the next patch and say it's 1.0 and I would believe them, it's not missing any fundamental thing right now that makes it incomplete, I would be surprised if they don't release 1.0 before the end of the year, they really have nothing to lose doing it.

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if 1.0 is the vaulting patch, maybe they will wait for second map or something though?

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if 1.0 is the vaulting patch, maybe they will wait for second map or something though?

Yeah I don't know what their plan is for what they consider 1.0 but for a game that has and will continue to have constant patching and updates, saying it's 1.0 to get some free press at GOTY time is a no brainer.

Oh yeah, for sure, that's what I was saying earlier... Maybe a new map or a new crate would be in the 1.0 update... But i'm mostly just thinking about GOTY 2018 and beyond. If they start allowing early access games for consideration they'll have to have a list each year of those games that are allowed in GOTY discussions. Then are they allowed in next year with their official 1.0 release? What if it's a drastically better/worse game at relase vs during early access when it won awards? It could get a bit messy especially if a games 1.0 release kinda fucks it up (didn't Darkest Dungeons 1.0 release get some of the players upset?)

Oh yeah, for sure, that's what I was saying earlier... Maybe a new map or a new crate would be in the 1.0 update... But i'm mostly just thinking about GOTY 2018 and beyond. If they start allowing early access games for consideration they'll have to have a list each year of those games that are allowed in GOTY discussions. Then are they allowed in next year with their official 1.0 release? What if it's a drastically better/worse game at relase vs during early access when it won awards? It could get a bit messy especially if a games 1.0 release kinda fucks it up (didn't Darkest Dungeons 1.0 release get some of the players upset?)

Yeah that's an interesting thought, I'm not sure how they would handle that.

ryseing

I hope someone joins him for some geetar or vocals.

FEEEEEED MY EYES

They're out of content and GOTY is in 2 months, they won't even remember the game even came out by then

Worth noting for all the Destiny 2 doubters that the first expansion is dropping in December right before GOTY discussions and will have a new Patrol area. Might be enough to boost it, especially if there's a raid and it's any good.

swimbuff

Huh. I never really noticed this before, and I thought I remember Dan was hired as a Senior Editor, but according to Dan's twitter bio he is Senior Content Producer at Giant Bomb.

Like I know their roles are flexible over there (other than specialized or administrative stuff) but the title does sorta explain why so many of their video series come from him. And he's damn good at coming up with stuff too.

i spent more money on RB DLC than any console itself i think. wish i had access to that drumset alex got. used to even make youtube videos.. fun times. brad should sing on his stream for alex

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I fell like Alex's Rock Band DLC purchases are what kept Harmonix going when things wer tough.

That feels like some sort of convoluted money laundering scheme. Harmonix paid Alex's salary, Alex's salary bought Rock Band DLC, Money comes out nice and cleaaaaan.

BTA

The good news is I've learned I can work from home (and thus have Sunshine on in the background) some Wednesdays and still make it into the city in time afterwards for my Japanese lessons at night.

Today's not such a day, though, so I'll just catch it when I get home later tonight, since it should be up by then. Have fun!

*LOUD ASS GLITCH THUMP* GREEN

I'm just giving you a hard time! That game is for sure worth the asking price, right? Hope it gets a QL this week.

Ah, ok! :p

I'm having a lot of fun with it! It does have many bugs, however. Had the game soft lock twice now. The solution, per the devs, seems to be to spam the B button many times. They suspect that cutscenes may be triggering outside of view, making it appear that the game locks up.

Otherwise, the golfing is great, the dialogue fun, and the price-point is definitely a great one. Also has MP!

Top Bottom