• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
As someone who's never really tried to get into the Star Trek shows, I find The Orville way more enjoyable than Star Trek Discovery.

I hear The Orville is like a mix of the original series and The Next Generation. Should I watch those?

Orville is basically a love letter to old Star Trek, Discovery is...not. If you're liking Orville you may as well check out some of the older stuff. TNG has a lot of great material along with an embarrassing start.

TraBuch

Banned
I think now is as good a time as any for Vinny to call up Dave and get him in NY to play and, this time, finish Blade Runner.

TraBuch

Banned
Galaxy Quest is great. Too bad Tim Allen is such a piece of shit. Usually I can ignore the artist while enjoying the art, but it's different when you're staring the artist in his stupid fucking face for a couple hours.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Galaxy Quest is great. Too bad Tim Allen is such a piece of shit. Usually I can ignore the artist while enjoying the art, but it's different when you're staring the artist in his stupid fucking face for a couple hours.

Sure, but most of Galaxy Quest is focused on how Tim Allen's character was also a piece of shit.

TraBuch

Banned
Sure, but most of Galaxy Quest is focused on how Tim Allen's character was also a piece of shit.
Unfortunately, he ends up redeeming himself instead of getting brutally murdered by his crew so Sigourney Weaver could be the new captain and lead them to victory.

dcassell

Banned

I love that movie, and I hate Tim Allen. Tony Shalhoub and Sam Rockwell make it. Allen sucks, and I wish my family would stop recommending that I watch Last Man Standing because they know that I like Galaxy Quest.

I think it's just one of those childhood movies that I have great memories with, and now I can't say I hate it. Galaxy Quest and Cool Runnings were all I watched for about a year, I think.

Rookie of the Year, too. I love those corny 90s movies. I'm not sure why I lump them all together, but I owned all of them on VHS at one point in my life.

The 1099 - Episode 113: GameSpot's Peter Brown on Games Criticism and if We Need Review Scores
On this week's episode, GameSpot senior reviews editor, Peter Brown, joins host Josiah Renaudin to discuss how GameSpot does reviews. Peter details how GameSpot has changed since he first took the job, what belongs in a review and should be separated into its own feature, why scores can confuse things more than anything else, the health of games criticism as a whole, and how freelancers can write for GameSpot.

I have had at least ten people in my life say, "If you haven't seen Field of Dreams, you're un-American."

I have yet to see Field of Dreams.

I'm not american and I've seen Field of Dreams a couple of times. James Earl Jones is comforting as fuck in that film.

I'm turning on Golf Story the more and more I play it. The golfing is fun, but jesus are the missions a slog. Mind you, there are some gems. It's just that 90% of the not great missions are going to be as complex as hitting a ball into a designated area because the NPC who gave you the missions wants to see if you can do it. It's incredibly easy and by the time I get to a proper mission, like a 9 hole match, I wind up quitting and saving due to burnout.

I'm afraid that it may be too much golf.

I also can't leave this post without mentioning the sometimes awful game design. The way the game introduces it's mechanics (if it feels like it) only to have you get missions over an hour later that actually use them can add to the slog. For example, you learn how to curve your shots very, very, soon during the start of the game. I just got to the third course and I'm receiving missions that have me just getting on to the green by curving the ball. It's both boring as all hell, easy, and out of order feeling.

There's also a ton of glitches and jank. From freezes, to sequences breaking, flashing black lines that make you think your Switch is dying, camera's getting stuck if you try and look around using the right stick, to many more issues. This game is in need of work.

Also, one final note, the humor. It's totally a high point, however being nearly five hours in, my word does it use the same gags over and over and over again. I won't drone on about it though as it only serves a purpose to have you hit that damn ball in that hole.

By now, it probably sounds like I absolutely hate the game. I don't. It's definitely, however, the most work I've had to put into avoiding dropping a game completely. That being said, I can no longer recommend the game unless you really want to see it and play it for yourself. If you do end up with it, I recommend taking it slow, though, I can't discern if that will help or not.

dcassell

Banned
I'm not american and I've seen Field of Dreams a couple of times. James Earl Jones is comforting as fuck in that film.

Yeah, I want to watch it. It doesn't really tear down my reputation of the movie, but growing up in middle-America it was like THE America baseball movie that was constantly quoted. That and Forrest Gump for some reason.

I love baseball movies. The Sandlot was my childhood. Field of Dreams is a hole I'll need to fill sometime soon, I honestly forgot it existed!

Anyways, Divinity OS 2 is still awesome after 15 hours. The feeling of exploration when you first exit the first area is WILD.

BTA

I'm turning on Golf Story the more and more I play it. The golfing is fun, but jesus are the missions a slog. Mind you, there are some gems. It's just that 90% of the not great missions are going to be as complex as hitting a ball into a designated area because the NPC who gave you the missions wants to see if you can do it. It's incredibly easy and by the time I get to a proper mission, like a 9 hole match, I wind up quitting and saving due to burnout.

I'm afraid that it may be too much golf.

I also can't leave this post without mentioning the sometimes awful game design. The way the game introduces it's mechanics (if it feels like it) only to have you get missions over an hour later that actually use them can add to the slog. For example, you learn how to curve your shots very, very, soon during the start of the game. I just got to the third course and I'm receiving missions that have me just getting on to the green by curving the ball. It's both boring as all hell, easy, and out of order feeling.

There's also a ton of glitches and jank. From freezes, to sequences breaking, flashing black lines that make you think your Switch is dying, camera's getting stuck if you try and look around using the right stick, to many more issues. This game is in need of work.

Also, one final note, the humor. It's totally a high point, however being nearly five hours in, my word does it use the same gags over and over and over again. I won't drone on about it though as it only serves a purpose to have you hit that damn ball in that hole.

By now, it probably sounds like I absolutely hate the game. I don't. It's definitely, however, the most work I've had to put into avoiding dropping a game completely. That being said, I can no longer recommend the game unless you really want to see it and play it for yourself. If you do end up with it, I recommend taking it slow, though, I can't discern if that will help or not.

I feel sorta similarly, though my tutorial issue is more that they explain a lot of the mechanics later than they should and only ever during side challenges.

I'll just be playing it like once a week or so while watching streams and finish it eventually.

I just wish it actually had you interact with the world in interesting ways using golf instead of just "go to this circle and hit this clear other thing". I guess it's on me for expecting this but I thought it was going to be actual puzzle solving using golf and not just "solving" problems by doing one of like 3 things in a disconnected way.

Anyways, Divinity OS 2 is still awesome after 15 hours. The feeling of exploration when you first exit the first area is WILD.

I’ve been in the second act now for about 18 hours and it’s alarming to me just how much stuff I still have left. I’ve also still not explored the whole zone. The game is insanely big. More then that, the game is insanely dense. I’d never have thought they could cram so much stuff into the maps.

dcassell

Banned
I’ve been in the second act now for about 18 hours and it’s alarming to me just how much stuff I still have left. I’ve also still not explored the whole zone. The game is insanely big. More then that, the game is insanely dense. I’d never have thought they could cram so much stuff into the maps.

I spent five hours talking to people in the first town, and going through again in co-op with my wife, I still had moments where I went, "Whoa, you could do this that way?"

It's pretty astounding. The way you can solve problems is really open, though I think I may be a little under leveled after taking an easy way out of the first zone.

I've been in the second act now for about 18 hours and it's alarming to me just how much stuff I still have left. I've also still not explored the whole zone. The game is insanely big. More then that, the game is insanely dense. I'd never have thought they could cram so much stuff into the maps.

Then you'll find an underground/interior area and realise its even bigger.

Towns especially take me a few hours to comb through and get a handle on, knowing full well I'll be there and back again a handful of times or more. It's incredible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Btw, kind of a different genres altogether, but if you guys want to explore the series divinity 2 is very good too. Not os2, just divinity 2.

Dragon commander is also the most pc ass PC Game ever released.

I feel sorta similarly, though my tutorial issue is more that they explain a lot of the mechanics later than they should and only ever during side challenges.

I'll just be playing it like once a week or so during streams and finish it eventually.

I just wish it actually had you interact with the world in interesting ways using golf instead of just "go to this circle and hit this clear other thing". I guess it's on me for expecting this but I thought it was going to be actual puzzle solving using golf and not just "solving" problems by doing one of like 3 things in a disconnected way.

Yup, yup. There's things I went into it expecting to be no issue. Like for example, the lady who said that it is impossible to hit the ball into the hole on the island in the middle of the lake with the swan boats. I was like nah I can do that and totally sunk the ball in. Talked to her and nothing. Few hours later, she finally gives you a quest to hit the ball in from one of the swan boats which was a piece of cake. Just weird choices that make me not want to try and mess with the world outside of missions.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have had at least ten people in my life say, "If you haven't seen Field of Dreams, you're un-American."

I have yet to see Field of Dreams.

someone screamed in my face because i told them that movie was garbage and boring.

BTA

Yup, yup. There's things I went into it expecting to be no issue. Like for example, the lady who said that it is impossible to hit the ball into the hole on the island in the middle of the lake with the swan boats. I was like nah I can do that and totally sunk the ball in. Talked to her and nothing. Few hours later, she finally gives you a quest to hit the ball in from one of the swan boats which was a piece of cake. Just weird choices that make me not want to try and mess with the world outside of missions.

And weirdly it even sorta has something right by that which actually does have you interact without being directly indicated to, with the kid you have to hit with a ball to get them out of the water.

The game didn't know how to handle me doing it spontaneously and moved me across the water to be next to the mom, who I'd never talked to before.

I spent five hours talking to people in the first town, and going through again in co-op with my wife, I still had moments where I went, "Whoa, you could do this that way?"

I am really, really curious and excited to try it in co-op eventually. Seems like such a neat game to play with someone else. So much experimentation potential.

Then you'll find an underground/interior area and realise its even bigger.

Yeah some of the interiors/undergrounds just go on and on for so long. I'd love to see a sort of 3D side view of each zone that showed the main area with all the "interiors" underneath the main landmass.

Also I had a massive fight last night that had a bunch of void slugs putting oil down everywhere and a few turns in someone set all the oil on fire and my entire screen was suddenly filled with fire. I'm on a very capable PC and the whole game lurched down to about 25fps for a few seconds as this massive chain explosion went off and turned everything into a blazing hell fire.

Wunder

Should I start playing FFXIV? The only MMORPG I ever played was the beta for the SMT MMO.

I started playing it a few weeks ago. It's a solid solo MMO experience, if that's what you're looking for. The free trial on steam allows you to go to level 35 with any class

Btw, kind of a different genres altogether, but if you guys want to explore the series divinity 2 is very good too. Not os2, just divinity 2.

I should try playing Dragon commander again. I dislike the RTS segments so much, but the campaign stuff is cool. I just want to see more of the world.

But Divinity 2: Developer's Cut is fantastic. It's this unique blend of RPG/adventure/action that's unlike anything else. The gist of it is, you're a standard hero warrior, only you can learn telepathy and transform into a dragon... and you control a magic tower and its arsenal. The combat is tough and there's a lot of hidden environmental stuff that can throw people off I think, but it's 100% worth digging into.

It's just really wild and imaginative. Which is Larian's specialty.

BearPawB

Banned
Golf Story isnt flawless
But it is cute and cheap and full of personality.

I can't hold its flaws that hard against it and hope that its success enables them to do even cooler shit in the future

dcassell

Banned

I'm just curious, but what about it is good? It had a really bad first impression on me when I first tried to play it a few years ago when OS1 came out.

EDIT: Looks like LurkerPrime got me covered haha. Someday I'll check it out.

TraBuch

Banned
I don't care for Field of Dreams and I have also been called un-American. I wasn't standing for the anthem at the time, though, so it might be unrelated.

Zaph

Dragon Commander is bonkers. There are about four different games thrown in there, none of which are particularly good individually, but somehow comes together in a fascinating way.

Antiwhippy

I'm just curious, but what about it is good? It had a really bad first impression on me when I first tried to play it a few years ago when OS1 came out.

EDIT: Looks like LurkerPrime got me covered haha. Someday I'll check it out.

Lurker prime covered most of it but yeah.

You can turn into a fucking DRAGON.

Ashby

I started playing it a few weeks ago. It's a solid solo MMO experience, if that's what you're looking for. The free trial on steam allows you to go to level 35 with any class

No, I want to make friends but don't know how easy that will be when the game has become so established.

Wunder

No, I want to make friends but don't know how easy that will be when the game has become so established.

I think that's one of the more difficult tasks in any MMO, especially starting fresh and completely by yourself. That being said, XIV feels somewhat more social than something like WoW in that there is less emphasis on hardcore raiding 24/7.

Antiwhippy

Also be sure to watch the divinity 2 QL because it's a Dave joint and they QL the 360 version which somehow turns every enenmy into a Harryhausen prop.

I was almost disappointed that the PC version animates properly.

I've only ever heard of three games that let you transform into a dragon:
  • Divinity 2: Developer's Cut (you are a Dragon Knight)
  • Neverwinter Nights + its 2 expansions (via the Master of Many Forms/Shifter class' epic feats--not present in 2, Obsidian pls.)
  • Istaria (an obscure Java-based MMO that has like a couple hundred players last I checked years back. Also you were technically a dragon that transformed into a human. I wish it was more popular because it's such a cool idea; it represents a dozen or so standard fantasy races with standard classes in an Ultima Online-esque MMO, then throws dragons, with young/adolescent/old/wyrm prestige states, allowing for flight and shapeshifting. It's very focused on roleplaying and so wildly ambitious I'm amazed it exists at all.)
I have played all of them.

Really hoped Skyrim would be in this list, but it let me down big time.
Also be sure to watch the divinity 2 QL because it's a Dave joint and they QL the 360 version which somehow turns every enenmy into a Harryhausen prop.

I was almsot disappointed that the PC version aniamtes properly.

Ooh, I don't think I've seen this one.

Good stuff!

dcassell

Banned

I played pretty regularly for about a year. FFXIV has an amazing instance queue system and a ton of guilds in it are pretty active and regularly recruiting if you play on active servers. I'm not sure if that's changed in the last few months, but the community in FFXIV is outstanding in a lot of cases. I never experienced a single instance of hate in my 250 hours in-game, though YMMV. Worst I ever saw was a person get mildly upset and leave a queue on a wipe for a big raid.

Seek out some Free Companies in certain communities. If you're at all a fan of the Super Best Friends on Youtube, their FC on Ultros is very good and is pretty active (they insta-add if you say you're a fan). I'm not sure if GB has an FC, but it's good to have people to chat with while you're leveling up. People in the game often get queued into those old raids for story stuff as part of their dailies too, so you'll never hit a dead stop if you can't find people.

It's not a super complex MMO. There's a good story and enough stuff to pull you along until you're up to snuff, and each big dungeon has really easy resources to learn what to do (MTQcapture does really great videos on Youtube for this). It's very new-player friendly. I'd say go for it :)

Jintor

Dragon Commander is bonkers. There are about four different games thrown in there, none of which are particularly good individually, but somehow comes together in a fascinating way.

I love everything about Dragon Commander except the fucking RTS thing which unfortunately is most of it

but the political shit and weird visual novel esque taking over your empire thing is sooo dope

2968633-cp_murderisland_10092017.02_19_41_00.still002.jpg

Things to Do on Murder Island When You're Dead
Protect. Love. Honor. Avenge. Custom Games?

Ashby

I played pretty regularly for about a year. FFXIV has an amazing instance queue system and a ton of guilds in it are pretty active and regularly recruiting if you play on active servers. I'm not sure if that's changed in the last few months, but the community in FFXIV is outstanding in a lot of cases. I never experienced a single instance of hate in my 250 hours in-game, though YMMV. Worst I ever saw was a person get mildly upset and leave a queue on a wipe for a big raid.

Seek out some Free Companies in certain communities. If you're at all a fan of the Super Best Friends on Youtube, their FC on Ultros is very good and is pretty active (they insta-add if you say you're a fan). I'm not sure if GB has an FC, but it's good to have people to chat with while you're leveling up. People in the game often get queued into those old raids for story stuff as part of their dailies too, so you'll never hit a dead stop if you can't find people.

It's not a super complex MMO. There's a good story and enough stuff to pull you along until you're up to snuff, and each big dungeon has really easy resources to learn what to do (MTQcapture does really great videos on Youtube for this). It's very new-player friendly. I'd say go for it :)
Yeah, I think I'm gonna do it. Thanks! Would you know if I can use K+M on the PS4 version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom