• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Abby talked about what kinda music she is into?

Abby Russell – “Paris Is Burning”
Today we’ve got the very funny Abby Russell (performer at Magnet Theater; associate producer for Giant Bomb). She’s the real hero of this episode, so please say so in the comments below. We talk about listening to music between class, living across the street from your high school, and video games as art! We also nerd out about learning how to play St. Vincent songs and how cool Annie Clark is.

Thank you to the Magnet Training Center for the recording space and to Bryan Berlin for editing.

And remember. Abby Russell is a HERO.

SW-7998-2593-9283

you know what's good

populate me y'all

Added you.

Harpuia

Aside from indie ports he’s not far off the mark

Breath of the wild, arms, splatoon 2, Rabbids and soon Odyssey. Plus a wide array of indie ports that possibly not everyone has played yet. How much is enough? Hell I'd wager to say that this year + the middle half of last year the ps4 finally started getting games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Xbox wishes it could get those same indie ports.

I mean it has cuphead which is great but otherwise eeeeeeeeeeh? I'm talking about bigger budget games too.

Hasney

theres only one reason you can't get by with just a PC and a Switch and that's Bloodborne

I've still not finished it as I got bored. I could live. Gravity Rush for me.

Had an XBox 1, but sold it after Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound got cancelled. Just had nothing for me out or upcoming.

Still, got the elite controller out of it that I use on PC, so that's fine.

Antiwhippy

Aren't Orcs in LotR meant to be like a relentless force of death and destruction or whatever?

Wardor makes them look like hilarious fun guys which I'm kinda digging.

Hating the Beatles was as common as hating Bieber in the day, to the point that it was included as a funny thing in Goldfinger in 1964 ("That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs”).

So in a way dismissing them is not millennial, but old-school.

I love, love, love The Beach Boys but basically think more people should hate on canon bands and artists because nothing is more boring than listing off the Rolling Stone top 500 as your personal faves. I wrote my master's thesis on how the 'rock' canon was a narrow, biased club still based on the favoured values of a select group of music journalist dudes mid-last century.

That's true but I don't think the answer to that is hating on The Beatles, I'm sure I don't need to tell you about their influence. It's fine to not like their music, but to say they're "overrated" is just asinine - that's the part that just gets me.

Anyway yeah "canon" in all media is bunk and based on choices made mostly by white men, resulting in a very narrow range of work. But we don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

swimbuff

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and wanted to add my voice to the chorus. The movie is a masterpiece. I literally shed a tear watching it, a little out of relief but mainly because of how amazing it is. A lot of thoughts swirling around in my head which I want to try to organize into words later but for now I'll point out one of the things I liked which is the worldbuilding. There are subplots and hints in the movie that could potentially be explored in other genre movies set in the same universe. A Blade Runner cinematic universe, if you will. While this is typically regarded as a weak point for most movies as it can distract from the main plot, it works for cyberpunk as the world is as central to its theme as anything else. It makes the detective story in this movie feel like it exists in a bigger world with stuff happening in it that incidentally is affected by the plot. I hope they do get to expand on those things in the other movies and I'm extremely saddened to hear that the box office takings hasn't been great.

Austin talked a little about his thoughts in Waypoint Radio and man I just want to geek out with him about how great the movie was.

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and wanted to add my voice to the chorus. The movie is a masterpiece. I literally shed a tear watching it, a little out of relief but mainly because of how amazing it is. A lot of thoughts swirling around in my head which I want to try to organize into words later but for now I'll point out one of the things I liked which is the worldbuilding. There are subplots and hints in the movie that could potentially be explored in other genre movies set in the same universe. A Blade Runner cinematic universe, if you will. While this is typically regarded as a weak point for most movies as it can distract from the main plot, it works for cyberpunk as the world is as central to its theme as anything else. It makes the detective story in this movie feel like it exists in a bigger world with stuff happening in it that incidentally is affected by the plot. I hope they do get to expand on those things in the other movies and I'm extremely saddened to hear that the box office takings hasn't been great.

Austin talked a little about his thoughts in Waypoint Radio and man I just want to geek out with him about how great the movie was.

I'm glad you liked it! I'm going to see it again today. I absolutely loved it. A masterpiece.

Can you tell me in which episode Austin talks about it?

swimbuff

I'm glad you liked it! I'm going to see it again today. I absolutely loved it. A masterpiece.

Can you tell me in which episode Austin talks about it?

It was last Friday's. Yeah I'm going to see it again in IMAX.

Edit: someone put it up on YouTube.

Fucking no, please, god jesus lord no.

I was half kidding with calling it a cinematic universe but apparently it was a real thing they tried to do. Not so sure now what with the commercial response. I do want to see stuff explored in other movies though. And I absolutely dreaded the idea of a Blade Runner sequel before I actually saw the movie.

Harpuia

I don't think the Beatles deserve hate but rather respect. I'm fairly certain that they're not to everyone's taste, I myself probably would be OK if it started playing in the background. It's definitely worth examining why they're so important and why they're perceived as quote on quote "overrated", though.

Extra Life should be Abby and Alex playing Beatles: Rock Band in its entirety. Drag that sick child to the flames of hell. Consider yourself lucky that Jeff doesn't think they're that great either otherwise the exit is that way. I'm still salty af even after sleeping it off.

Extra Life should be Abby and Alex playing Beatles: Rock Band in its entirety. Drag that sick child to the flames of hell. Consider yourself lucky that Jeff doesn't think they're that great either otherwise the exit is that way. I'm still salty af even after sleeping it off.

image.php

Antiwhippy

It is interesting how Austin talked about how he wants this next level of android stories as displayed in BR 2049 and nier A to start influencing cyberpunk and sci fi to come, mostly just surprised that such stories hadn't happened earlier.

swimbuff

I don't think Orcs should Banter

Should have just made sexy lady Orcs instead tbh.

It is interesting how Austin talked about how he wants this next level of android stories as displayed in BR 2049 and nier A to start influencing cyberpunk and sci fi to come, mostly just surprised that such stories hadn't happened earlier.

Yeah it kinda makes me less interested in The Fall now since that's retreading the same 101 space.

I had an Orc that kept getting really really mad that I was doing flips. He was like the opposite of that guy in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Problem was, he kept doing attacks that made me have to do flips.

I was half kidding with calling it a cinematic universe but apparently it was a real thing they tried to do. Not so sure now what with the commercial response. I do want to see stuff explored in other movies though. And I absolutely dreaded the idea of a Blade Runner sequel before I actually saw the movie.

thanks

Love drew but he's been releasing Ukraine videos piecemeal for four months now, just not a good output.

Also it's pretty funny a 2 minute video about puppies has more views than anything else he has done.

Brad's insistence that Switch isn't getting games is getting tiresome.

I can kiiiiinda understand his take but only if it is applied to a very specific person: someone who owned a wii u and the nintendo games that have been ported to switch (zelda/pokken/mario kart), while also playing every big indie darling from the last 2-3 years. This person would find these games NEW: snipperclips, arms, splatoon 2, mario + rabbids, golf story, picross S, super mario odyssey, fire emblem warriors, xenoblade chronicles 2. Even then, that's not a bad list imo. Obviously not everything there is gonna appeal to someone.

BUT in reality, this specific person doesn't really exist in large numbers. most people didn't have a wii u so games like zelda, mario kart, and pokken are fresh. some of these indies slip through the cracks for people. Not everyone has played everything. Ports are further justified with the added portability imo--I am playing through stardew valley again just because I can take it with me, for instance.

So ultimately i totally disagree with the 'no games' argument.. I feel like I have played plenty on my switch and ps4 this year. I think their release lineup has been comparable, even

I was also concerned when they announced 2049, and am so glad it worked out as well as it did. But now that we have these two beautiful movies, I don't want them to do a single more thing. Let it be.

Even those 3 prequel short films were unnecessary and added very little. I don't need to know what caused the Blackout, it doesn't matter! That world is all about not knowing.

Mr. F

Banned
Brad's insistence that Switch isn't getting games is getting tiresome.

You have to remember Brad barely has a grasp on huge industry news or relies on third hand information on the best of days, Switch games on the horizon/recently released is likely a topic that is flying waaaaay below his radar

Strax

I pitched my show and I felt the meeting went really well.

Now I gotta wait 2-3 weeks.

Thank god this months has so many games I want to play, gotta pass the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom