• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyrmellon

Hey guys sorry if its been brought up already but are the San Fran guys all ok in regards to the fires? I know Jeff posted a nervous tweet yesterday.

Wunder

Hey guys sorry if its been brought up already but are the San Fran guys all ok in regards to the fires? I know Jeff posted a nervous tweet yesterday.

ben's parents had to get evacuated from his old home but I think no one on staff got immediately affected

swimbuff

Mad Max tho
I still need to think about it but I might like BR 2049 more than Mad Max. I don’t know yet.

It’s wild that we now live in a world where great sequels to Blade Runner, Mad Max and Star Wars (YMMV) exist. I mean, BR2049 and Fury Road are legitimate modern classics of the cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic genres. Makes me excited to see what’s next. Like, the new Matrix movie?

Lari

I still need to think about it but I might like BR 2049 more than Mad Max. I don’t know yet.

It’s wild that we now live in a world where great sequels to Blade Runner, Mad Max and Star Wars (YMMV) exist. I mean, BR2049 and Fury Road are legitimate modern classics of the cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic genres. Makes me excited to see what’s next. Like, the new Matrix movie?

Hopefully that new matrix is more Mad Max and less Robocop in terms of quality.

I made a list of all the Halloween/horror movies recommended on last week's Beastcast if anyone is interested.

Also highly recommend this website (Letterboxd). Waiting for a game logging/review website that is this well designed.

https://boxd.it/1hrDS

Michael Bay like lite

FioL5ie.gif

Michael Bay wishes he could shoot like this

sprinkles

Breath of the wild, arms, splatoon 2, Rabbids and soon Odyssey. Plus a wide array of indie ports that possibly not everyone has played yet. How much is enough? Hell I'd wager to say that this year + the middle half of last year the ps4 finally started getting games.
I know that my Switch has not been turned on since I finished Zelda back in June.

oti

Banned
I know that my Switch has not been turned on since I finished Zelda back in June.

So you don't like good games? Rabbids and Mario is fun. Splatoon 2 is fun. A bunch of indies are fun. SteamWorld Dig 2 might be the most-polished indie game I've ever played.

This is the only good thing in that movie.

Uh no. The movie is like 95% practical effects since it's basically one big chase scene but what's most surprising about it is how it delivers a good story despite it being subtle and minimalist in style. The world building in that film is very well done without saying a word about it. But hey, different strokes for different folks!

oti

Banned
Uh no. The movie is like 95% practical effects since it's basically one big chase scene but what's most surprising about it is how it delivers a good story despite it being subtle and minimalist in style. The world building in that film is very well done without saying a word about it. But hey, different strokes for different folks!

That's where this movie falls apart for me. Apart of the impressive chase scene it just seems lame. All of it. The lame chacter designs, the lame music, the lame story. Not my cup of tea at all.

I'm sure I'd love the hell out of the making-of though. The Hobbit making-of is sublime, while the movies are everything but.

sprinkles

So you don't like good games? Rabbids and Mario is fun. Splatoon 2 is fun. A bunch of indies are fun. SteamWorld Dig 2 might be the most-polished indie game I've ever played.
I mainly play on PC (currently playing Divinity OS2, finished Trails the 3rd before that). I played like 2 hours of Splatoon 2 which was bundled with my Switch, then went back to PUBG. I have tons of Indie games in my Steam backlog with no need to buy those again on Switch. I never liked the 3D Mario games, the last I tried was 3D Land so Odyssey does not tempt me at all.

swimbuff

I was also concerned when they announced 2049, and am so glad it worked out as well as it did. But now that we have these two beautiful movies, I don't want them to do a single more thing. Let it be.

Even those 3 prequel short films were unnecessary and added very little. I don't need to know what caused the Blackout, it doesn't matter! That world is all about not knowing.

I haven’t seen the 3 prequel shorts but I could totally see how you’d feel they were necessary. It’s about choosing the right story to explore.

It depends on how you feel about Rogue One. I didn’t think it was a great film, but there’s a good movie in there somewhere. However the idea of setting a genre film (in this case, war) in the Star Wars universe is rad. Whereas a Darth Vader origin story is completely unnecessary and was a bad move.

Hopefully that new matrix is more Mad Max and less Robocop in terms of quality.

I hope so too!

Er I mean, who are we kidding here hoping for a new Matrix movie to be good? Yeah right. Good goof everyone, haha.

Hope I wasn’t too late to reverse-jinx everything.

oti

Banned
I mainly play on PC (currently playing Divinity OS2, finished Trails the 3rd before that). I played like 2 hours of Splatoon 2 which was bundled with my Switch, then went back to PUBG. I have tons of Indie games in my Steam backlog with no need to buy those again in Switch. I never liked the 3D Mario games, the last I tried was 3D Land so Odyssey does not tempt me at all.

So how much did you like Zelda? Was it worth it? Any buyer's remorse? What are you planning to play on it after Zelda? You could've made some pretty nice money if you had sold it during the stock shortages.

Hey guys, what's going on in the Giant Bomb thread today?

*Sees Mad Max criticism*

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I don't really like movies so my opionion on them is invalid.

I liked Harry Potter 7.1 and people tell me it was absolutely terrible.

I know nothing about movies.

The movie's still lame tho.

I wonder what insane opinions the contrarians in the Giant Bomb thread have toda--

That's where this movie falls apart for me. Apart of the impressive chase scene it just seems lame. All of it. The lame chacter designs, the lame music, the lame story. Not my cup of tea at all.

I'm sure I'd love the hell out of the making-of though. The Hobbit making-of is sublime, while the movies are everything but.

sprinkles

So how much did you like Zelda? Was it worth it? Any buyer's remorse? What are you planning to play on it after Zelda? You could've made some pretty nice money if you had sold it during the stock shortages.
Zelda was a great exploration game with some shortcomings for me (I don't care much for the survival gameplay loop). I generally don't sell my consoles even if they don't get much usage. I am thinking of importing Wolfenstein for the Switch as getting an uncut version to run on Steam is a hassle in Germany.

Tagyhag

Oti's dislike of Mad Max's music is heresy.

But you gotta respect the guts that it takes to dislike that movie in public lol.

I don't really like movies so my opionion on them is invalid.

I liked Harry Potter 7.1 and people tell me it was absolutely terrible.

I know nothing about movies.

The movie's still lame tho.

But I can get your criticisms! Users calling out the cinematography as Bay-lite is just like...what? Like Bay's really great at filming action, but Bay is more "Overstuffed Miller" than "Miller is lite-Bay" seeing as how one was making movies well before the other. Plus, Bay's visuals are way more reminiscent of Cameron than they are of Miller anyway so the comparison just feels off.

swimbuff

I almost want to do a Fury Road/Rick and Morty copypasta but that joke’s been done already.

It’s funny because the things you’re saying are lame are the exact things I thought the movie did really well.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Disagree with you wholeheartedly though. But, if you ever have the chance to see the making of Fury Road, do it. It's really, really good.

oti

Banned
Zelda was a great exploration game with some shortcomings for me (I don't care much for the survival gameplay loop). I generally don't sell my consoles even if they don't get much usage. I am thinking of importing Wolfenstein for the Switch as getting an uncut version to run on Steam is a hassle in Germany.
I see. I'm not really like that. I would've sold my Xbox One S ages ago if the prices weren't trash in Germany. Selling it isn't really worth it anymore so I'm keeping it.

At least you've got the Zelda DLC to look forward to in the near(?) future.
Oti's dislike of Mad Max's music is heresy.

But you gotta respect the guts that it takes to dislike that movie in public lol.
I'm not trying to be the cool contrarian guy about it. I don't like a lot of movies people say are good. But after all the praise Mad Max got I thought I'd like it more. That's all. I'm sure I like a ton of terrible movies and that's ok. :)

I almost want to do a Fury Road/Rick and Morty copypasta but that joke's been done already.

It's funny because the things you're saying are lame are the exact things I thought the movie did really well.

Look at this! Look at it!

653feccf926e9f3f2edb49011bb75c26e70300355599924ef6196f43c4a09c2c.jpg

This has drawn to death teen aesthetic written all over it.

I really liked it all the way up to Chapter 11 at which point it could go fuck itself. Is this looking to be more of the good stuff or is this gonna end up being really haphazard like the first? Anyone have any idea?

I don't blame you, the enemies fucking suck around those last few chapters even though the environment stuff is great considering how it greatly increases the scope and feel of the game. The last chapter is dope though.

All that we now about the second game is that it is hub based in design. Meaning we got mini hub worlds that are interconnected with side missions alongside the story stuff. Who knows how it'll all pan out but I'm excited. I'm expecting it to be a mixed bag both reception wise and the game itself much like the first one BUT I'd like to be wrong.

All that we now about the second game is that it is hub based in design. Meaning we got mini hub worlds that are interconnected with side missions alongside the story stuff. Who knows how it'll all pan out but I'm excited. I'm expecting it to be a mixed bag both reception wise and the game itself much like the first one BUT I'd like to be wrong.

That honestly sounds much better than he first game. I hated the pacing and structure of the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom