• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i kinda wish shadow of war wasn't related in any way to lotr

i also had an viscerally bad reaction when brad said 'i have a legendary sword' and i think i don't like loot games in any way shape or form

/edit excellent someone redirected bloggoodkink.tumblr.com to the shadow of war ql

i kinda wish shadow of war wasn't related in any way to lotr

i also had an viscerally bad reaction when brad said 'i have a legendary sword' and i think i don't like loot games in any way shape or form

/edit excellent someone redirected bloggoodkink.tumblr.com to the shadow of war ql

I'm a total lotr nut but I'm still really enjoying SoW just as a way to fuck around in all of the amazing locations, the visuals are amazing and the gameplay is really fun.

Peru

Hating the Beatles was as common as hating Bieber in the day, to the point that it was included as a funny thing in Goldfinger in 1964 ("That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs").

So in a way dismissing them is not millennial, but old-school.

I love, love, love The Beach Boys but basically think more people should hate on canon bands and artists because nothing is more boring than listing off the Rolling Stone top 500 as your personal faves. I wrote my master's thesis on how the 'rock' canon was a narrow, biased club still based on the favoured values of a select group of music journalist dudes mid-last century.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/clothmap

Slope of that graph ain't great for Drew.

Compare to Danny where his regular content releases give a boost after a drop.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/dannyodwyer

Those graphs don't look great for him... BUT he still can produce great stuff and even if it continues this downward decline he gets to live his dream job getting paid to travel the world for a couple more years... Not the worst thing ever.

EDIT: I wonder what type of taxes you pay if your main income is Patreon... Also he must really like SF if he's still living there when he could literally do this job from almost anywhere in the world, and it would most likely be cheaper.

Catvoca

Banned

I feel like he just hasn't put out enough stuff. He's been going over 6 months and only has two short docs to really show for it. I like them, and I'm sure he's working hard and this has all been a learning experience for him but I don't feel like it's worth my while subscribing.

Tubobutts

i mean i want this game but i want it not to be in this kinda drab setting

man the nemesis system is dope though
What if it was the old good Warhammer Fantasy and you were a Chaos person trying to be a chaos champion and you had other chaos people as your nemeses and instead of a ghost elf possessing you it was a daemon?

Wunder

What if it was the old good Warhammer Fantasy and you were a Chaos person trying to be a chaos champion and you had other chaos people as your nemeses and instead of a ghost elf possessing you it was a daemon?

actually yeah im more into that

they could have way cooler magic/ranged attacks too

Jintor

i'm tempted to buy sow but i should probably play dangan ronpa 3 first because spoilerthz

It looks like random open world busywork garbage without the LOTR setting. And still... eh...

it's random open world busywork garbage with the lotr setting and it kinda shits on the lotr setting at the same time, so

Wunder

i'm tempted to buy sow but i should probably play dangan ronpa 3 first because spoilerthz

it's random open world busywork garbage with the lotr setting and it kinda shits on the lotr setting at the same time, so

it doesn't sound like you'd like it. I'm a couple hours in and it's a lot of inventory/loot management and collecting stuff so far. There's been some cool moments thanks to the new additions to the nemesis system but overall the combat has been very similar but punctuated with loot and collecting stuff.

Jintor

i dunno, i rather enjoyed SoM. I don't particularly like loot but that's just because it hits that drug centre of my brain which I'm trying to avoid feeding.

I just need a tolerable podcast game where the numbers go up i guess. Except i hate numbers so I just want to progress in a thing where I do some arbitrary goals and feel like a superhuman.

Wunder

i dunno, i rather enjoyed SoM. I don't particularly like loot but that's just because it hits that drug centre of my brain which I'm trying to avoid feeding.

I just need a tolerable podcast game where the numbers go up i guess. Except i hate numbers so I just want to progress in a thing where I do some arbitrary goals and feel like a superhuman.

ok then you'll like this! Numbers keep going up but also its great as a podcast game because if you're distracted and die it just adds to the experience

hamchan

Shadow of Wardor, me 10 mins into game:

z0QnGpk.jpg

kiyomi

I love Drew but he just hasn't found a good schedule of #content to put out. The idea had/has some promise, but when you put out ~60 minutes of content broken into 10-20 minute chunks every 8 months, people aren't gonna keep supporting it until they start to see more stuff being produced.

Danny has found an excellent angle to work from and it works.

Drew's content has been good so far but yeah there's hardly any of it. Nobody is going to keep paying when there's gaps for weeks.

Danny hasn't been putting out as much as I'd like, but at least the content he's putting out has been longer and absolutely top notch. Having 6 Witcher documentaries drop over two weeks is more than enough justification for the quiet time.

But Drew is making $20k+ a month. He's probably got more than enough in the bank to keep him going for a long time even if subs drop...

kiyomi

Drew also has a harder task since not only does he have to organise travel, he also has to research what he's going there for, what he's going to film, what he thinks he can get out of it. Danny has it much easier in that as long as a studio is willing to talk, he can effectively stick a camera and a microphone in front of them and just record for an hour or two. It's been great.

Anyways, I hope Drew's trip to Brazil is fruitful and interesting.

Nioh with the DLC has been that podcast game for me, lately. Grinding out the high level gear and using the crafting/upgrading system to power gear up has been pretty rewarding.

There's probably a baseline number of Drew's patreon who will keep their pledge no matter what happens, and even if that totals like 6k a month he's still pulling down 70k a year... not too shabby. i'm sure a lot of these initial earnings have been SAVED

Hasney

I think the only way Drew could have maintained subs is to do a lot of initial trips and filming on his own dime to get somewhat of a schedule (probably not feasible) or add something weekly to it as well, like a podcast, video update or even just streaming something once a week.

Zaph

During Drew's Patreon launch stream, he talked about wanting to do game streams and other small features between trips. But I guess his schedule is too tight?

I'll probably keep my pledge until his Brazil video is out, but so far I just haven't found any of it that interesting. His Chernobyl video was cool, but nothing really unique about it - there's lots of similar videos on Youtube. Kinda feels like he's just making videos for people who don't travel? His message was like "hey whatever makes you interested in the world is good. even if its video games!".

Chuck

Still without luck
Drew pitched his thing as going to places and meeting people who play games and making videos about it.

So far he's just taking vacations and filming them, then figuring out how they have anything to do with games after.

During Drew's Patreon launch stream, he talked about wanting to do game streams and other small features between trips. But I guess his schedule is too tight?

Only stream I remember was when he played The Last of Us live to get some footage. It was nice to see him back like that and I hope he does more.

Drew pitched his thing as going to places and meeting people who play games and making videos about it.

So far he's just taking vacations and filming them, then figuring out how they have anything to do with games after.

You can take Drew out of GB West but you can't take the GB West out of Drew

chogidogs

One of these days Abby is gonna slip that she thinks Prince is overrated, and we will see the first person get fired from Giant Bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom