• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/ybbaaabby/status/919266298693083136
+
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447895
+
tenor.gif

=
ABBY IS A PIMP

Joeku

I'm going to a haunted house with friends tonight and I'm a wuss when it comes to scares. I don't know if I'm doing this for pride or if I just want to face my fictional fears.

Maybe if I laugh it will go better.

I mean nothing is real but fuck jumpscares.
Please be this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447692
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687317
Just to talk about Season 19 because 20 was lame and I haven't seen this season yet, just a few examples.

• The entire episode against Gentrification and local buisnesses being pushed out
  • Being clearly on Hilary's side, both in portrayal of Trump and comments in reaction to Trump winning
  • If you watch to the end of the season, you realize that PC Principal is actually celebrated not villified
  • This quote from Cartman "“We’re two privileged straight white boys who have their laughs about things we never had to deal with.” There are other meta statements like that in the season
  • Tweek and Craig coming out as a gay couple, and portrayed in a much more normal manner than gay characters in the show's past

I don't think their politics are perfect. I wish they were more liberal. And the mammy thing you reference appears to be awful. But overall I would say they do lean left.

And if they have gotten away from politics and current events and closer to the original several seasons of the show about kids being kids, then that's actually what I have wanted from the show for awhile.

And I also admit that I would benefit from rewatching chunks of the show and examining if from a politics standpoint.
South Park really is one of the few things I'd legitimately blame "both sides". PC Principal turned out to not be a villain or the target of the season, but rather represented an ever-present sense of PC-ness in modern conversation (for better or worse depending on your view), and everyone took the positives and negatives they wanted to out of that instead of looking at the whole thing. Same goes for the whole episode about shaming in its many forms. Like PC Principal it turned into a meme that was a single picture with big impact font "Safe Space" to be utilized by crappy people when it was trying to say a hell of a lot more than that.

South Park, since it became very of-the-moment and political, generally draws ire because it provides everyone ammunition and they are all seeing what the want to see in it. So you get the reaction, the backlash, the backlash-backlash, etc, all swirling around it without getting to the point the actual show was making. And for what it's worth, I think trying to make these seasons serialized is interesting and brave for something so inherently reactionary, but is kind of not working. The standalone episodes in recent seasons (like the Lorde or Yaoi episodes) are so much stronger.

Also straight up saying "Yeah, we're done targeting Trump" long before they even started producing the new season was a bit of cowardice. Maybe they changed their mind and have now, I haven't seen any of the new season yet.

For real though, not having Obsidian on the new game is going to prove to be a mistake. I can feel it.

No way, PP3>1>>2, and the games in 4 seemed good to me. What are you basing this on? Did GB do something with it?

They UPF'ed PP4.

And you're right, I'll agree with that order. I just looked at what games were in which pack.

PP3 has the murder game and Fakin' It, both of which I thought looked cool and fun.

PP1 I liked because all of the games were "solid" in my opinion, and didn't super rely on the whole audience thing.

I feel like PP4 leans way the fuck into the "This is only fun if we stream it" ideas, and the games that are in it don't seem fun to me.

daveo42

Banned
We will all be dead in a nuclear inferno before 3.0 + 1.0 is out.

Very true. At least we won't have to deal with whatever Anno decides to come up with to fix all the issues from 3.33, though he might just ignore all those story beats that ruined 3.33 in the first place.

Ashby

Really big fan of Eva as a kid but still haven't seen so much as frame of the Rebuild movies. Not sure why. They're an alternate timeline, right?

They UPF'ed PP4.

And you're right, I'll agree with that order. I just looked at what games were in which pack.

PP3 has the murder game and Fakin' It, both of which I thought looked cool and fun.

PP1 I liked because all of the games were "solid" in my opinion, and didn't super rely on the whole audience thing.

I feel like PP4 leans way the fuck into the "This is only fun if we stream it" ideas, and the games that are in it don't seem fun to me.

If that's true that would be a bummer. I could see how that is a tempting trap to fall for.

daveo42

Banned
Really big fan of Eva as a kid but still haven't seen so much as frame of the Rebuild movies. Not sure why. They're an alternate timeline, right?

Kinda.
Theory is the Rebuild movies take place after the end of End of Eva, so same timeline. There are comparison shots on the web, particularly around 1.11 and the original of the show that make a convincing argument. Biggest being that 1.11 started with a similar shot from EoE with the red sea.

Anyone here play DND before? Me and my friends got a starter set and Ima be dming. Should I watch the Giant Bomb unplugged to learn?

If it's a starter set from 5.0, then it should be relatively self-explanatory. You'll probably need to go over how the systems work at a high level and help the team along in terms of what certain things do what. Think of it as a boardgame with a larger ruleset, but also freeform in how to approach any given situation.

I was expecting them to have gave Stick Fight a chance by now. Seem the perfect fit for GB. GI played it recently, and found it a lot of fun

IllUntidyDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

Maybe East will give it a go if they do another Megadate

Wunder

Anyone here play DND before? Me and my friends got a starter set and Ima be dming. Should I watch the Giant Bomb unplugged to learn?

I've played some pathfinder and 5E, DMing for your first time playing DND is going to be really, really hard. I haven't done a starter set but manage your group's expectations

I was expecting them to have gave Stick Fight a chance by now. Seem the perfect fit for GB. GI played it recently, and found it a lot of fun

Maybe East will give it a go if they do another Megadate

I watched Waypoint play a bit of it and it looked like a good time, maybe a decent UPF segment

If it's a starter set from 5.0, then it should be relatively self-explanatory. You'll probably need to go over how the systems work at a high level and help the team along in terms of what certain things do what. Think of it as a boardgame with a larger ruleset, but also freeform in how to approach any given situation.
Mhm. I get that aspect from reading, basically the dm picks how hard things are, if there are any obstructions, and serves as a guiding hands more or less.

I've played some pathfinder and 5E, DMing for your first time playing DND is going to be really, really hard. I haven't done a starter set but manage your group's expectations

Yeah its 5E. Manage expectations, Ill have to do that.

Joeku

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447928

Genuinely glad the Weinstein fallout is going to lead to more exposure of abuse.

Also genuinely sad (but not surprised) that video games are rife with it too. If this first big claim is from a man, imagine the stories some women in games must have. In production, I mean. Gamergate was already a fucking shitshow wherein nearly the whole industry showed its ass via inaction.

Wunder

Mhm. I get that aspect from reading, basically the dm picks how hard things are, if there are any obstructions, and serves as a guiding hands more or less.

Yeah its 5E. Manage expectations, Ill have to do that.

It can be difficult if people have heard stories of DND or watched some shows, because those usually involve homebrew rules/campaign molded around 5E or something like that. There's also a lot of reading for the DM, but if you're doing it with a totally new group maybe you can share responsibilities.

BTA

Kinda.
Theory is the Rebuild movies take place after the end of End of Eva, so same timeline. There are comparison shots on the web, particularly around 1.11 and the original of the show that make a convincing argument. Biggest being that 1.11 started with a similar shot from EoE with the red sea.

I mean my understanding is the more important thing is
it’s always been implied that Kaworu in a lot of Evangelion versions/adaptations is the exact same person. IIRC he says something specific in the Rebuild films that further indicates this is the case and that he’s lived through what happened before.

TraBuch

Banned
If you wanna learn basics of how to play DND, listen to the first couples episodes of the Join The Party podcast. It's a group of friends playing DND, and while that's been done to death, they released versions of the first couple episodes where one of the players explains the rules while they're playing.

imBask

Banned
Why the hell were you guys mad at Dan for the DnD talk?

You guys spent 3 pages insulting Dan as if he shat on DnD... He was just confused about it and asked legitimate questions. He never once said DnD was bad in any way, or went full old-Dan and called it trash or whatever.

Jintor

were people mad at him here? I was just 'he just needs someone to explain it to him in terms he understands'

Vinny got about halfway there but he really needs an Austin to step in. (Austin explaining stuff to Dan so that Dan gets it is one of my favourite things about GB cos they jive really well)

PS: DnD sucks for newbies and honestly even as someone who's played a shittonne of CRPGs I don't like DnD or Pathfinder. I actually share a lot of Dan's complaints: it's boring as fuck to actually play because the rules hedge you in too much and the systems are creatively too dependant on whether your DM is any good. 5th edition onwards actually exascerabated this for me since they made the combat more like a tactical game which SUCKS without instant calculators.

imBask

Banned
were people mad at him here? I was just 'he just needs someone to explain it to him in terms he understands'

Vinny got about halfway there but he really needs an Austin to step in. (Austin explaining stuff to Dan so that Dan gets it is one of my favourite things about GB cos they jive really well)

PS: DnD sucks for newbies and honestly even as someone who's played a shittonne of CRPGs I don't like DnD or Pathfinder. I actually share a lot of Dan's complaints: it's boring as fuck to actually play because the rules hedge you in too much and the systems are creatively too dependant on whether your DM is any good. 5th edition onwards actually exascerabated this for me since they made the combat more like a tactical game which SUCKS without instant calculators.

That's mostly why that talk was great, DnD is INCREDIBLY confusing if you've never played. I played like twice and had literally the same questions as he did

repeater

I also thought the DnD discussion would be much worse after having read people's reactions to it here, but it was completely non-offensive -- though a little bit surprising that Dan hasn't picked up more on what tabletop roleplaying is from general (sub)cultural osmosis.

Tubobutts

i think dan would really love any game where the GM is flexible enough to go 'Yes, and...'

abby too potentially
I think you’re right about Dungeon World being a good fit for him. The only part that was complicated for me was disabusing myself of a D&D mindset and since Dan doesn’t have that it should be even simpler.

TraBuch

Banned
I also thought the DnD discussion would be much worse after having read people's reactions to it here, but it was completely non-offensive -- though a little bit surprising that Dan hasn't picked up more on what tabletop roleplaying is from general (sub)cultural osmosis.
DND players are dorks and nerds. Why would cool guy Dan Ryckert associate with people who play it?

The only question(s) I'd have for you I guess is do you have a good imagination? And are you good with describing things?

You're basically the writer and director of a movie if you're DMing.

Yes, you can go:

"Okay. You're in a room. Uh...there's a door in here." and hope to lead them towards something.

But, you have the ability to go "You walk into a run-down home that's littered with trinkets and knick knacks. It looks like there's remnants of an old apothecary in here, and there's still some jars with objects in them." and lead them towards going "Are there doors? What's in the jars? What else is in here?" etc.

Jintor

I don't know if DnD is good for this but I think it's good tabletop in general to cede a certain level of control of things to your players.

Ask questions of your players and use the answers. Let them decide bits and pieces of the world. A world they have authorship of, even partially, is one they're invested in. Of course control the tone - if you're playing DnD your character can't, unfortunately, be a cheap rental car, but being a bit more hands-off than the traditional tabletop experience could probably be fine.

It'll depend game-to-game though... I mean, I basically only play PbtA games so that sort of stuff is baked into the mechanics.

TraBuch

Banned
Don't be like Rorie and block people at every juncture. If they wanna do something stupid, figure out a way to fit it in there.

I know you hate the McElroys, but you should check out a few early episodes of The Adventure Zone and a few later episodes and see how Griffin grows as a DM. The guys gradually do dumber and dumber shit, and he just goes along with it.

Jintor

there's nothing more dispiriting as a tabletop gamer than being told 'no you can't do that' so as a gm you should really save it for the situations where you're like "Okay, we're playing a medieval fantasy elves and orcs adventure, we all decided on this months ago" and someone's like "I WANT TO BE A RENTACAR TRANSFORMER WITH A LIGHTSABRE"

Don't be like Rorie and block people at every juncture. If they wanna do something stupid, figure out a way to fit it in there.

I know you hate the McElroys, but you should check out a few early episodes of The Adventure Zone and a few later episodes and see how Griffin grows as a DM. The guys gradually do dumber and dumber shit, and he just goes along with it.

That's pretty much the key of being a good DM. You reign in it only if you completely have to and it's game-breaking, but aside from that, let everyone use their imaginations. I played (some DnD type game) when I was younger, and our DM was super good about just letting us do whatever we wanted. As long as you can work in into your character (and the dice are on your side) there's no limits.

The only question(s) I'd have for you I guess is do you have a good imagination? And are you good with describing things?

You're basically the writer and director of a movie if you're DMing.

Yes, you can go:

"Okay. You're in a room. Uh...there's a door in here." and hope to lead them towards something.

But, you have the ability to go "You walk into a run-down home that's littered with trinkets and knick knacks. It looks like there's remnants of an old apothecary in here, and there's still some jars with objects in them." and lead them towards going "Are there doors? What's in the jars? What else is in here?" etc.

I don't know if DnD is good for this but I think it's good tabletop in general to cede a certain level of control of things to your players.

Ask questions of your players and use the answers. Let them decide bits and pieces of the world. A world they have authorship of, even partially, is one they're invested in. Of course control the tone - if you're playing DnD your character can't, unfortunately, be a cheap rental car, but being a bit more hands-off than the traditional tabletop experience could probably be fine.

It'll depend game-to-game though... I mean, I basically only play PbtA games so that sort of stuff is baked into the mechanics.

Thanks for the ideas, I might check out Adventure Zone. And yeah, as far as my own imagination, I've studied acting hardcore so when it comes to leading people or coming up with scenarios, I should naturally be able to do that(As writing and directing is something I've learned about as well). It should be fun, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom