• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this doesn't come up often when discussing Wardor but am I like in the minority for thinking that the game looks like garbage artistically?
It looks so mushy and drab. It's like they didn't improve their engine or anything from a game that came out in 2014.

I'm playing it pretty much maxed out and it runs well and it's still ugly af. You're not wrong. It's just not a good-looking game, and it's not ugly in an interesting (aesthetic) way either. It's every complaint about brown games from the 360 era writ large. Also yeah Talion's design/face is weird and off-putting.

oti

Banned
It's not even like...fan service though. It's like a 14 year old saw the trilogy and thought about how to make it way more "badass". It's kind of funny that way.

The way the
nazgul
look and act is the epitome of that. Like Shelob, it's wildly inaccurate but whatever, OK, video games.

I only know the movies. Tried to read the books, stopped after finishing the first. As long as it's somewhat LotR and also enjoyable I'm game. Watching the LotR movies is a Christmas tradition for me. So having a good game to accompany that is all I want.

NOW MAKE A GOOD HARRY POTTER GAME FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE HOW HARD CAN IT BE

Wunder

Get to Act 2. It's the "get out of the Hinterlands" of 2017. The conquering fortress stuff and relationships you build with your allies is really something else, especially once random betrayals and such start happening.

the more I play it the less I'm liking it. They've made improvements to the nemesis system, particularly creating ways to progress through it without having to artificially advance time or die. But they've made the same mistakes in the fortress assaults and big battles. You want to climb the ladder and clear the enemy warchiefs, but if you actually do it all it makes the battle completely trivial. So you have to ignore a mechanic and intentionally avoid buffing your own soldiers to make any assault somewhat difficult.

Huge battles with multiple captains/warchiefs are also a hassle, you simply can't straight up fight them at all. Archers and spear throwers break your combo and i'm shocked there's no skill or passive to counter their projectiles. In fortress room battles they keep respawning so you can't even clear them and focus on the overlord.

I'll still probably go through and finish it for the sake of finishing it but at this point I've found the passive runes I like and levelling up is just to stay on top of dominating high level orcs

Joeku

I only know the movies. Tried to read the books, stopped after finishing the first. As long as it's somewhat LotR and also enjoyable I'm game. Watching the LotR movies is a Christmas tradition for me. So having a good game to accompany that is all I want.

NOW MAKE A GOOD HARRY POTTER GAME FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE HOW HARD CAN IT BE

I'm not even talking about the books. They can only work within the constraints of what was in the movies, too, so that's why they can't pull from the anything in the books that wasn't in the movies. So it's either movies or OC. Like, the only reason they can use Celebrimbor in the game I guess is because this is probably him holding the tongs here.

Unless something changed during the development of Shadow of Mordor and the Tolkien Estate allowed them to use other things, of course. Not sure.

That blade runner movie is some good shit

Right? I'm glad it's good and it lives up to its name. I wouldn't want to live in a world where Blade Runner 2 was so bad that it tainted the first one.

I don't understand it when people say it's better than the first one though, wow. Either they must've seen it only once, recently, or they're smoking angel dust.

Joeku

That blade runner movie is some good shit

Since a game based on this movie would be inherently inferior anyway, I'd totally take a game using the ME: Andromeda arm of Frostbite that was like 75% depressing detective work and 25% retiring replicants. I just want to be in that world more.

Since a game based on this movie would be inherently inferior anyway, I'd totally take a game using the ME: Andromeda arm of Frostbite that was like 75% depressing detective work and 25% retiring replicants. I just want to be in that world more.

I'd take a game with the somber tone of Papers, Please in that world. God damn. Or they should just remake the old Blade Runner game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

1li1sj.gif

oti

Banned
I'm not even talking about the books. They can only work within the constraints of what was in the movies, too, so that's why they can't pull from the anything in the books that wasn't in the movies. So it's either movies or OC. Like, the only reason they can use Celebrimbor in the game I guess is because this is probably him holding the tongs here.

Unless something changed during the development of Shadow of Mordor and the Tolkien Estate allowed them to use other things, of course. Not sure.

Btw how much better is the intro in German?
So much better!

https://youtu.be/uiKHzzD9R-s

Antiwhippy

Jeff is totally right that a mad max game with a wardor like system could be pretty fucking awesome.

Replace the mind control with trying to drink the person under the table as is the Aussie tradition.

Joeku

FWIW I'm not saying that I want another game like MEA. I'm saying I'd accept that if it had the proper aeathetics of BR2049 if that was the only way I'd get it.

"Gouda is fancy cheese" - Jeff Gerstmann

Sometimes these dudes sound like barbarians

Before Dan I used to think Jeff was like the pinnacle of grown man who eats like an 8-year old. It's amazing how much Dan made everyone else's weirdest traits seem normal by comparison

Rainmaker

Banned
I enjoyed UPF again this week. They all seemed to be in great moods and the talks were fun. I was curious about the new Jackbox and I'm glad I won't be spending money on it.

I'm enjoying Shadow of War but I really wish they'd just make Nemesis System: The Game. Build an original thing around it instead of shoehorning a lame story based on LOTR and put this baby in a unique setting/world

I enjoyed UPF again this week. They all seemed to be in great moods and the talks were fun. I was curious about the new Jackbox and I'm glad I won't be spending money on it.

I'm enjoying Shadow of War but I really wish they'd just make Nemesis System: The Game. Build an original thing around it instead of shoehorning a lame story based on LOTR and put this baby in a unique setting/world

I also wish they would just get rid of the LOTR aspect, but these games have honestly been the best thing LOTR related in the past decade. So there's no way the suites at WB will make this anything less than a trilogy.

EDIT: Just looked up the info on the trilogy of Hobbit movies because I was curious how much money they made in relation to their cost:

Budget: $675 million

Box Office: $2.932 billion

With those types of numbers were probably going to see a god damn Silmarillion trilogy or something

oti

Banned
I'm legit sad the Wardor QL wasn't Brad and Dan. As much of an asshat Dan can be, him and Brad taking about LotR lore is some of the best things on the site.

Meguro

Banned
It's nice that for all the reputation of GAF being moderated better than most online forums, people can still get away with calling a female reviewer an illiterate monkey for giving their darling game a lower score than most.

Wunder

It's nice that for all the reputation of GAF being moderated better than most online forums, people can still get away with calling a female reviewer an illiterate monkey for giving their darling game a lower score than most.

you gotta link the review and post now

Alright, so now I have the
robot
before the final phase of cuphead, and I have no idea how to beat it.

for the first phase, drop bombs on the top portion of the bottom part, because the splash damage will get both the bottom compartment and the middle

when the laser is about to appear, move up and shoot bombs at the antenna because the laser will be low enough for the splash damage of the bombs to reach it

if you keep doing that, each of the three things should break relatively close to each other, making the heart a bit less of a pain to deal with

the second phase is for babies, one of the easiest phases of the game

just focus on maneuvering in the third phase, and if it really is too much for you, you can stay small and focus entirely on dodging projectiles and unshrink and attack during pauses

just stay patient and be mindful of the barriers when they appear

Antiwhippy

for the first phase, drop bombs on the top portion of the bottom part, because the splash damage will get both the bottom compartment and the middle

when the laser is about to appear, move up and shoot bombs at the antenna because the laser will be low enough for the splash damage of the bombs to reach it

if you keep doing that, each of the three things should break relatively close to each other, making the heart a bit less of a pain to deal with

the second phase is for babies, one of the easiest phases of the game

just focus on maneuvering in the third phase, and if it really is too much for you, you can stay small and focus entirely on dodging projectiles and unshrink and attack during pauses

just stay patient and be mindful of the barriers when they appear

Yep, got it, thanks for that. Actually didn't turn out too bad once I got a rhythm for the first phase down.

I think I just needed to learn how to manage the bombs.

There seems to be an issue with their Evil Within capture. The quick look is way too dark, I'm playing the game right now and it doesn't look like that.

BTA

I was enjoying Ace Attorney but now Maya is my partner and she’s really fucking annoying.

This is factually incorrect.

Maya forever. Her return in 6 made me feel emotional at times.

I think it is great when south park comes up on an e3 stream they all make an effort not to laugh or smile but if you focus on Brad you can tell he finds it funny

You should listen to one of the recent Waypoint Radios where Patrick talks about working through whether he’s finding something funny because it’s actually funny or because it’s a thing he used to laugh at when he was younger and didn’t know better, because that seems relevant here.

fuck South Park and how it’s helped even a little to make our society worse

Real Hero

You should listen to one of the recent Waypoint Radios where Patrick talks about working through whether he's finding something funny because it's actually funny or because it's a thing he used to laugh at when he was younger and didn't know better, because that seems relevant here.

fuck South Park and how it's helped even a little to make our society worse

or it's just funny

Catvoca

Banned
reminder that Alex liked Stick of Truth more than Wolfenstein, Mordor, Shovel Knight, and Mario Kart 8

They all seemed to enjoy SOT well enough. Perhaps the reason they didn't laugh at anything from The Fractured but Whole at E3 is because nothing they've shown from that game has looked funny or good in any way.

Strax

They all seemed to enjoy SOT well enough. Perhaps the reason they didn't laugh at anything from The Fractured but Whole at E3 is because nothing they've shown from that game has looked funny or good in any way.

Well I think it's more that they don't have the same knowledge/interest in superheroes they have with fantasy (well, fantasy games at least).

oh yeah the superhero stuff has always been kind of bad

I've always like South Park doing superheroes.

Wow... Watching giant bomb watch darts really was something.

Are darts not a big thing in America?

It's pretty popular in the UK (and Europe I think as there always seem to be plenty of European players).

I've never been to a big tournament but they look exactly like German beer festivals... Long tables, masses of beer, and masses of shouting/cheering. I'd love to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom