• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... Watching giant bomb watch darts really was something.

Are darts not a big thing in America?

It's pretty popular in the UK (and Europe I think as there always seem to be plenty of European players).

I've never been to a big tournament but they look exactly like German beer festivals... Long tables, masses of beer, and masses of shouting/cheering. I'd love to go.

We have dart boards in homes and bars here in America, but getting excited about it the way that crowd was is a bizarre concept here for most.

I'm going to a haunted house with friends tonight and I'm a wuss when it comes to scares. I don't know if I'm doing this for pride or if I just want to face my fictional fears.

Maybe if I laugh it will go better.

I mean nothing is real but fuck jumpscares.

We have dart boards in homes and bars here in America, but getting excited about it the way that crowd was is a bizarre concept here for most.

Cool, cheers. The giant bomb crew didn't seem to know the rules, but I guess a lot of people in the UK wouldn't either.

Darts crowds are often more entertaining than the darts! The beer bellies are something to behold.

Wunder

I'm going to a haunted house with friends tonight and I'm a wuss when it comes to scares. I don't know if I'm doing this for pride or if I just want to face my fictional fears.

dont shit your pants

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Just talk to the performers. They're not allowed to touch you.

What if one of the monsters is real? Just one. And it lives there to avoid suspicion. What if you run into that one?

I FINALLY got to the part in Wardor where you can start actually recruiting orcs to your army. I'm still not really into it. So far it's a 3-star game for me. A perfectly fine time waster, but nothing more. Everything about the movement and combat just feels so clumsy. It really feels like a last-gen game in its mechanics. And I've started skipping most of the cut scenes because the story is just dire. I'll play some more because this is supposedly where it gets good but I doubt it'll ever really endear itself to me.

BTA

It’s possible for South Park to have awful politics and still be funny at times

I just don’t think you should excuse something’s awful politics and actual harmful impact on people’s lives because the other parts make you laugh a bit.

like it’s fine to like things with faults but let’s not ignore that

dont shit your pants

2409244-dont3.png

justjim89

I just don’t think you should excuse something’s awful politics and actual harmful impact on people’s lives because the other parts make you laugh a bit.

like it’s fine to like things with faults but let’s not ignore that

Yeah, I loved South Park for years and years, and I still generally watch out of habit, but I've really come to dislike the show from a political standpoint over the last few years and it kinda ruins the whole thing. Matt and Trey sit on the fence and call both sides idiots for giving a shit no matter what the issue. It's fucked.

killroy87

Revisiting the full list from 2014,

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Jazzpunk
Shovel Knight
Mario Kart 8
Destiny

yeah

At least Mr. Drew Scanlon has Wolfenstein TNO as his #1.

Fuck, I forgot Jazzpunk made their list. What a bad list lol.

Strax

Yeah, I loved South Park for years and years, and I still generally watch out of habit, but I've really come to dislike the show from a political standpoint over the last few years and it kinda ruins the whole thing. Matt and Trey sit on the fence and call both sides idiots for giving a shit no matter what the issue. It's fucked.

I've never understood this sentiment. South Park, in general, might be one of most left leaning shows I've seen and this coming is from someone who lives in a country that only has political parties to the left of Democrats.

edit:

tbh I was also shocked to see how many people seemed to view Eminem as having many right-wing fans or being on the right-wing himself in the thread about him and Trump

BTA

I've never understood this sentiment. South Park, in general, might be one of most left leaning shows I've seen and this coming is from someone who lives in a country that only has political parties to the left of Democrats.

edit:

tbh I was also shocked to see how many people seemed to view Eminem as having many right-wing fans or being on the right-wing himself in the thread about him and Trump

If something arbitrarily attacks leftist ideas and, more importantly, marginalized people just as much as it attacks people on the right and hides behind a defense of “we attack everyone!”, it’s not actually left-leaning.

Rather, South Park essentially just posits that, though certain things people on the right do are certainly worth mocking, it’s actually caring about anything that’s bad. “The truth is somewhere in the middle and you should stop caring about anything” is much more of a centrist idea, which is to say it’s basically a regressive right wing idea in the end.

(also it should be said that you probably have a better idea of American political parties than I do of your countries, and there’s likely some differences in how we view these parties due to differing histories etc. etc.)

Lari

Oh jeez, best of luck! Beware of that friend who'll constantly try to mess with everyone! (there is always one)

I would never ever ever agree to anything like that, lol.

Harpuia

yeah south park is not what I would call left leaning and it most certainly is not allying itself, in any significant way, with the left. It's simply taking shots at everyone and doesn't really care who.

Lunar FC

Damn. Sounds like we have a real life case of Fright or Shite on our hands.

Real Hero

Rather, South Park essentially just posits that, though certain things people on the right do are certainly worth mocking, it's actually caring about anything that's bad. ”The truth is somewhere in the middle and you should stop caring about anything" is much more of a centrist idea, which is to say it's basically a regressive right wing idea in the end.

What episode specifically does this? All of the the greatest episode definitely do take a side, the Mormon episode, the Scientology episode, 200/201, the bin laden one,the N word one, imagination land, the freemium games one etc

I see the sentiment you say expressed a lot but I just don't think it's true

Wow... Watching giant bomb watch darts really was something.

Are darts not a big thing in America?

It's pretty popular in the UK (and Europe I think as there always seem to be plenty of European players).

I've never been to a big tournament but they look exactly like German beer festivals... Long tables, masses of beer, and masses of shouting/cheering. I'd love to go.

Not big at all. Its sometimes shown on TV but thats like on an early weekend morning when there is nothing else to show.

BTA

What game?

Looks like people are angry because Polygon dared to give Original Sin 2 to give it a 7. Read the (well written) review now and it looks like it's mainly due a lot of glitches and other problems encountered (which are described in the review) over the 90 hours the reviewer played the game. But of course why read it when you can whine about the metacritic dropping.

I can't believe people are being that shitty about Janine Hawkins of all people; beyond being a genuinely nice person, as someone who doesn't read reviews that often, she's a reviewer I do trust to have a very similar taste in games as me.

Don't be too jokey, it sucks for the performers. They really aren't very scary generally.

Looks like people are angry because Polygon dared to give Original Sin 2 to give it a 7. Read the (well written) review now and it looks like it's mainly due a lot of glitches and other problems encountered (which are described in the review) over the 90 hours the reviewer played the game. But of course why read it when you can whine about the metacritic dropping.

I can't believe people are being that shitty about Janine Hawkins of all people; beyond being a genuinely nice person, as someone who doesn't read reviews that often, she's a reviewer I do trust to have a very similar taste in games as me.
Fucking gross. GAF needs to get over its hate boner for Polygon, or maybe stop feeling personally affronted when a publication dares to affect the metascore of their favorite video game.

so I watched like two episodes of Kingdom Heartache before bailing on it, mainly because it felt forced as hell, so Ben responding to questions about it on the SNES stream like they were asking him his deepest darkest secret doesn't give me faith that's going to change

Strax

What episode specifically does this? All of the the greatest episode definitely do take a side, the Mormon episode, the Scientology episode, 200/201, the bin laden one,the N word one, imagination land, the freemium games one etc

I see the sentiment you say expressed a lot but I just don't think it's true

I think it's mostly backlash, at least on GAF, from Matt and Trey saying they were gonna stop making fun of Trump.

The creators of "South Park" say they're backing off of satirizing the Donald Trump administration because they can't compete with real events.

During the presidential election, "South Park" certainly turned to Trump for some scathing plotlines. But the men behind the Comedy Central show, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, now say that they're wary of wading too much into material about the president.

"It's tricky now because satire has become reality," Parker told the Australian current-affairs program "7.30." "It's really hard to make fun of and in the last season of 'South Park,' which just ended a month and a half ago, we were really trying to make fun of what was going on, but we couldn't keep up. And what was actually happening was much funnier than anything we could come up with. So we decided to kind of back off and let them do their comedy and we'll do ours."

Before that threads about South Park were mostly OTs and
Is South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut Matt and Terry's magnum opus?
The South Park movie is still hilarious
Recommend your top 10 All-Time Favourite South Park episodes (READ THE OP!)

etc

After the Trump thread there was another thread where people debated if South Park was the start of alt-right

so I watched like two episodes of Kingdom Heartache before bailing on it, mainly because it felt forced as hell, so Ben responding to questions about it on the SNES stream like they were asking him his deepest darkest secret doesn't give me faith that's going to change

For someone who doesn't care about the shit the series gets in here due to its supposed lameness or whatever i think his reaction wasn't great and could have said something to the point of either "hey, its still around and will be back soon so stay tuned" or "no its done".

*shrug*

South Park absolutely leans left.

I think it's mostly backlash, at least on GAF, from Matt and Trey saying they were gonna stop making fun of Trump.

Yes, and this is after predicting him getting elected way early and treating it as an apocalyptic event while warning viewers not to take him lightly. Then repeatedly portraying him as an awful person through Garrison leading up to the election.

Okay, what examples are there of Southpark leaning left? (as in specific examples and not a list of episode themes) They're white moderate libertairins (e.g. right wing financial beliefs and not giving a shit about social issues beyond free speech and it being okay say to anything as long as it's a joke) who often stumble on minority topics e.g. Kanye's Mammy.

BTA

I didn’t even know the thing about South Park not mocking Trump anymore so no, that’s really not the reason people dislike it.

EDIT: Also I’m not gonna say it was the start of the alt-right or anything, but I do sincerely think South Park’s public push for apathy and related dismissal of leftist concerns really has influenced our society in some negative ways, particularly in online communities. Maybe it’s better to say that it helped too many people stay shitty teens for a longer time than they would have otherwise at a time when we can’t really afford that. I dunno.

Okay, what examples are there of Southpark leaning left? (as in specific examples and not a list of episode themes) They're white moderate libertairins (e.g. right wing financial beliefs and not giving a shit about social issues beyond free speech and it being okay say to anything as long as it's a joke) who often stumble on minority topics e.g. Kanye's Mammy.

Just to talk about Season 19 because 20 was lame and I haven't seen this season yet, just a few examples.

• The entire episode against Gentrification and local buisnesses being pushed out
  • Being clearly on Hilary's side, both in portrayal of Trump and comments in reaction to Trump winning
  • If you watch to the end of the season, you realize that PC Principal is actually celebrated not villified
  • This quote from Cartman "”We're two privileged straight white boys who have their laughs about things we never had to deal with." There are other meta statements like that in the season
  • Tweek and Craig coming out as a gay couple, and portrayed in a much more normal manner than gay characters in the show's past

I don't think their politics are perfect. I wish they were more liberal. And the mammy thing you reference appears to be awful. But overall I would say they do lean left.

And if they have gotten away from politics and current events and closer to the original several seasons of the show about kids being kids, then that's actually what I have wanted from the show for awhile.

And I also admit that I would benefit from rewatching chunks of the show and examining if from a politics standpoint.

I think if you've seen the actual series, the rebuilds are completely pointless. Maybe 4.0 or whatever its called will be worth it when it comes out in 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom