• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a fucking rotten afternoon at work and man, it's nice to be able to tune in and watch Jeff play old games for a few moments before diving back into the bullshit.

Yupppp. It was CenturyLink or die. They have been increasing my prices and I have gone from $116 a month to start to $230 on my last bill. They are charging me $80 for a landline phone. With Spectrum, that phone line will now be $29.99

Internet -

$88 a month for 10mb download and 750kb/s upload with CenturyLink

$45 a month for 100mb download and 10mb upload with Spectrum

Also getting HD TV. Haven't had it with CenturyLink as they said that I can't have HD TV and 10mb internet at the same time lol (DSL boyyyy)

Damn, that sucks. I have CenturyLink, but I guess I'm lucky because I have 100M down and 50M up for $60. I could get gigabit from them for $80 but I haven't really seen the need to upgrade yet.

Grats on the switch, though. That Spectrum deal sounds good.

oti

Banned
Gotta disagree, it has been entertaining seeing them claw their way out of the holes they have dug for themselves.

Eh. This feature should've been them having to live with whatever the person before them left them to deal with. No matter how dire the situation could be. If they die, they die. Instead this feature is Vinny plays Xcom plus Dan is crazy.

Damn, that sucks. I have CenturyLink, but I guess I'm lucky because I have 100M down and 50M up for $60. I could get gigabit from them for $80 but I haven't really seen the need to upgrade yet.

Grats on the switch, though. That Spectrum deal sounds good.

I pay $90/mo for 300Mb up/20 down with no cap, but that's only because I'm in a Google Fiber neighborhood (but my apartment didn't sign up for GF).

Meneses

I'm having a fucking rotten afternoon at work and man, it's nice to be able to tune in and watch Jeff play old games for a few moments before diving back into the bullshit.

Hang in there.

It's been a great stream indeed (or a great soundtrack to have on the background).

I'm on my neighbor's internet. hope he hasn't noticed

image.php

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
.....i like exquisite corps

Also I've started playing Valkyria Chronicles since I was in the mood for some tactic game and people tell me that game is good but.....as somebody who likes video games stories I'm not sure I can deal with it. It's probably me not being used to anime stuff but boy... It's so bad.

Harpuia

A large part of XCOM's inital difficulty is that you really have no idea what to expect. They haven't even encountered ethereals yet! The first time I ran into them they nearly wiped my squad with it's
turn delayed AOE attack
. So I think there's still room for catastrophe. The last two missions have gone extremely well, so maybe it's just the sense of normal progression bringing everyone down.

Plus Sectopods are mother fuckers.

Wunder

A large part of XCOM's inital difficulty is that you really have no idea what to expect. They haven't even encountered ethereals yet! The first time I ran into them they nearly wiped my squad with it's
turn delayed AOE attack
. So I think there's still room for catastrophe. The last two missions have gone extremely well, so maybe it's just the sense of normal progression bringing everyone down.

Plus Sectopods are mother fuckers.

they're definitely not out of the woods yet. No one got promoted this episode and they're one squad wipe away from losing. Even losing Zhang/Abom would be enough of a setback

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think it's the sense of normal progression really. I think the bummer is that it's mostly just Vinny guiding them on what to do with only dan being the only person to really inject his personality into the game both literally and figuratively.

All I really get from Abby and Alex in this feature is a bunch of Uhhhhhs and asking Vinny what to do.

Teddified

I don't think it's the sense of normal progression really. I think the bummer is that it's mostly just Vinny guiding them on what to do with only dan being the only person to really inject his personality into the game both literally and figuratively.

All I really get from Abby and Alex in this feature is a bunch of Uhhhhhs and asking Vinny what to do.

True but you also get Dirt Bike and other characters from them. So there is some personality added there.

Spoiler alert for Six Crazy Frights: Episode 5

Until Dawn revisited.

Nice! I was hoping they'd get around to it, but didn't think they would as it's not nearly as scary in the way the other games they already played are. It definitely has jump scare moments, but it's never a constant feeling of dread. Speaking of which, I wonder if they are going to do Outlast (1 and/or 2).

BTA

Nice! I was hoping they'd get around to it, but didn't think they would as it's not nearly as scary in the way the other games they already played are. It definitely has jump scare moments, but it's never a constant feeling of dread. Speaking of which, I wonder if they are going to do Outlast (1 and/or 2).

Outlast is confirmed to be one of them, so you’re in luck.

EDIT: Oh, huh. I went to check when it was posting tomorrow and it’s 6 AM Eastern; I feel like the prior ones were 11 AM?

anyway it’ll be out in 12 hours then

Lari

Outlast was one of a few games that I had to stop playing because it was way too scary for me.

Can't wait for Six Crazy Frights tomorrow.

Holy crap Wardor has some of the absolute worst story missions I've played in a game in some time. They vary from being extremely lazy (do X three to five times, then kill captain) to downright awful and infuriating (the boss fights for example, where there is no way to regen health).

And boy does it seem like you have to grind through a bunch of them in the back half.

I remember when my dad saw me playing Outlast and his thoughts on the entire first person hide and seek horror genre is "hiding from enemies is a waste of time". Basically, if you can't shoot the monsters then fuck the game.

derFeef

Outlast was a neat idea until it repeated the neat idea the whole game. It got boring and tedious really fast.
Abby is in for some shit if she hates being chased.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I remember when my dad saw me playing Outlast and his thoughts on the entire first person hide and seek horror genre is "hiding from enemies is a waste of time". Basically, if you can't shoot the monsters then fuck the game.

Your dad is right.
I don't find those hide and seek games particularly interesting. I only liked Alien because, well, I like Alien.

Something like Dead Space 1 is much more scary and interesting to me because I actually need to be precise and react to things accordingly instead of just running away and hiding beneath a table. If I can't defend myself I know I never have to defend myself which takes all the tension away for me.

Holy crap Wardor has some of the absolute worst story missions I've played in a game in some time. They vary from being extremely lazy (do X three to five times, then kill captain) to downright awful and infuriating (the boss fights for example, where there is no way to regen health).

And boy does it seem like you have to grind through a bunch of them in the back half.

They get worse? I got up to the part where you take over the first major stronghold and kind of feel like I've had my fill already. I have a really hard time seeing how anyone thinks this game is anything more than extremely, abundantly average. Step up your fuckin' standards, people.

Your dad is right.
I don't find those hide and seek games particularly interesting. I only liked Alien because, well, I like Alien.

Something like Dead Space 1 is much more scary and interesting to me because I actually need to be precise and react to things accordingly instead of just running away and hiding beneath a table. If I can't defend myself I know I never have to defend myself which takes all the tension away for me.

I also dislike(well, let's just say it ain't my cup of tea) those kind of games. I didn't even bother to play Alien even though I want to really badly. I only played Outlast which I never finished and SOMA which I did but only because of its excellent story, world building and voice acting. SOMA is a remarkable game despite the genre its in.

Catvoca

Banned
Your dad is right.

I find those games pretty scary but they always fall apart once I die. Once the tension is gone they just become bad stealth games.

(I haven't played Alien though)

They get worse? I got up to the part where you take over the first major stronghold and kind of feel like I've had my fill already. I have a really hard time seeing how anyone thinks this game is anything more than extremely, abundantly average. Step up your fuckin' standards, people.

The lazy design stays consistent for most of them. They almost all consist of just quickly running and doing something and then repeating it 3+ times and then killing a captain, which I'm sure you've seen a lot of already. But they manage to make some of those lazy missions even worse. Later on there is an orc cult making orc zombies and you have to drain these totems. The totems are surrounded by these orc zombies and the only way to get rid of the zombies is to drain the orc totem. But the drain animation takes several seconds to complete and they are all attacking you. There is an entire story chain dealing with these zombie orcs and each and every mission in this chain involves you draining the totems and that's about it, the last couple have you also fighting a captain. And the last mission has you draining 6 totems. And there are dozens and dozens of enemies around, all happy to interrupt the drain animation over and over.

And all of the boss fights are just straight up trash because you cannot regen health because there is no down time or enemies around for you to drain. Or they are bad for other reasons. The one I just gave up on and made me uninstall the game involves a ring wraith and two of the drakes (dragon things). I have the ability to mount and ride the drakes but not for this story mission! They have made me unable to do that here. And the drakes are unkillable! You get them to zero HP and they don't die (this is explained by LORE!!!).

And the boss fights in the base takeover missions are all trash too because of the opposite problem, the enemies just endlessly respawn. In this tiny room.

They are all trash missions. I was kind of enjoying the simple mindlessness of the open world and nemesis stuff but the story missions (which are kind of mandatory to an extent) have made me realize I think I hate the game (and I enjoyed Mordor at the time).

Also way more instances of that classic Assassin's Creed problem of the player character not doing what you wanted it to do. Like jumping to the left when I wanted him to jump straight.

Jintor

they're not entirely garbage but they're pretty fucking garbage.

god help you if you roll a captain with shithouse weaknesses that you can't take advantage of because 60% of them are dependent on having level designers who remember that players need tools

Wunder

they're not entirely garbage but they're pretty fucking garbage.

god help you if you roll a captain with shithouse weaknesses that you can't take advantage of because 60% of them are dependent on having level designers who remember that players need tools

overlord in a fortress room vulnerable to stealth that adapts to vault breaking and is arrow proof and can't be hit from the front aaaaaaaaaaa

Jintor

overlord in a fortress room vulnerable to stealth that adapts to vault breaking and is arrow proof and can't be hit from the front aaaaaaaaaaa

hey we've made an amazing open world game where a bunch of different systems interact in interesting ways and players have various tools scattered around the world

great let's make all the story missions things where you get locked in a box and can't use any of that shit

I feel like Shadow of War would be better off as just one of those weird battle sim games on Steam, or something similar. Strip out all of the story shit and all of the LotR and just make a game focused on all their weird, cool nemesis stuff. Make it more of a spreadsheet game.

Let me just run around and game the nemesis system and see all the weird nemesis tricks.

I feel like Shadow of War would be better off as just one of those weird battle sim games on Steam, or something similar. Strip out all of the story shit and all of the LotR and just make a game focused on all their weird, cool nemesis stuff. Make it more of a spreadsheet game.

I think that's what most people think. If they put more into the Nemesis system, tightened the combat and ditch the LotR aspects it could be great. But nope, go collect 30 glowey things in every new area using the exact same traversal mechanics.

Zaph

I've only got three more Shadow Wars missions to go and I've been having a blast 🤷

Really didn't like the story until it started to become clear
the game is well aware you suck, even the orcs think you're cruel and what you're doing is wrong
. Ending of Act III was a fun direction to go too*.

*I know nothing about LOTR and didn't like the films

Jintor

i also think some stuff they should be getting right they just don't. Like the combat is really sub arkham combat because of simple things like the hitfeel is wrong, moves aren't reliable, targeting is often fucked, visual designs of enemies is not distinguishable in the same way (everyone is the same muddy grey-green-brown). Hell even distinguishing your own allies in a melee is difficult most of the time.

Shadow of Wardor is the Dynasty Warriors of batman like games.

Thats my favorite part about this. Brad and Jeff are practically playing a Dynasty Warriors game with simply a different skin.

Also DW does what Wardor does but better(atleast the Empire versions do)

I have a perverse desire to play Wardor, in spite of every single thing wrong with it. It could very well be my B game of 2017.

I'm downloading Mordor right now with the hope that playing it a bit will remind me of why I dislike the franchise.

Thats my favorite part about this. Brad and Jeff are practically playing a Dynasty Warriors game with simply a different skin.

Every action in Wardor has like three or four sets of numbers go up, though. DW cannot compete.

J_Viper

After clocking a bit north of twenty hours with Wardor, I'm still having an alright time, but the luster of the Nemesis System has began to dull quite a bit.

I'll never not smile when some ridiculous orc shows up with a torch on his head or something, but I feel like I've already seen everything the whole "strengths/weakness" element has to offer.

I'm basically just sprinting around the map capturing orcs, since there's no real initiative to kill them instead.

There's still fun to be had, and there's really nothing else on the market quite like it, but I am at that point I hit with most open world games where I zone the fuck out and become a mindless worker drone, fulfilling as many tasks off of the checklist that I can

Hindl

Huh. In the QL when Brad fucked up trying to ride that giant troll or whatever and there was a massive amount of Orcs chasing him around, I thought it looked like Dynasty Warriors for a second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom