• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Bacon

QzWIvqr.png

You're great!

Seems like Dan's doing the Bayo2 review. Not sure what his stance was on Bayo1, but this seems right up his alley of fantastic action that is incredibly stupid in the most entertaining and endearing way imaginable.

Shit, I still don't exactly know what happened in bayo1 but I just remember having a terrific time with it.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
I wonder, what made Dan leave Game Informer for Giant Bomb? Was it that he has more freedom at Giant Bomb?

Basically, yes. GI didn't like the fact that I wrote books in my own time, appeared on wrestling podcasts, tweeted about non-gaming things, and wanted to do really silly videos (I pitched the roller coaster thing several times while I was there). Giant Bomb embraces personality-driven content, so it was a no-brainer. Honestly, I would have left soon anyway even if I didn't have Giant Bomb to go to.

There were other things that bugged me about GI, but freedom was easily the #1 reason I wanted out.

Zaph

Basically, yes. GI didn't like the fact that I wrote books in my own time, appeared on wrestling podcasts, tweeted about non-gaming things, and wanted to do really silly videos (I pitched the roller coaster thing several times while I was there). Giant Bomb embraces personality-driven content, so it was a no-brainer. Honestly, I would have left soon anyway even if I didn't have Giant Bomb to go to.

There were other things that bugged me about GI, but freedom was easily the #1 reason I wanted out.
This is none of my business, but how on earth did GI object to your tweeting on your own personal account? I could understand if it was offensive stuff, but just because it's non-gaming?

Do they expect their staff to live, eat and breathe games?

LeBart

110 000 youtube views later (I don't know how the video did on the site, I'm guessing quite well), GI is probably thinking that this dumb roller coaster thing was maybe not so dumb after all...

TraBuch

Banned

But does Giant Bomb give you the opportunity to meet Oderus Urungus and Riff Raff?

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
This is none of my business, but how on earth did GI object to your tweeting on your own personal account? I could understand if it was offensive stuff, but just because it's non-gaming?

Do they expect their staff to live, eat and breathe games?

These were the types of things that bugged me every day.

Myggen

Game Informer still has a very "serious" profile with the magazine, so I guess it's not surprising that they're not very flexible when it comes to stuff like that.

Blastoise

Banned
The NBA2K quicklook wasn't as enjoyable as it should've been. Alex keeps talking and skipping over the good bits.

I really miss the OG Sports Crew.

The NBA2K quicklook wasn't as enjoyable as it should've been. Alex keeps talking and skipping over the good bits.

I was hoping for more face capture disasters.

It's always great when they generate something live, but I guess spending four hours getting it working to begin with cooled their jets.

Basically, yes. GI didn't like the fact that I wrote books in my own time, appeared on wrestling podcasts, tweeted about non-gaming things, and wanted to do really silly videos (I pitched the roller coaster thing several times while I was there).

Wow, what a bunch of assholes. They didn't like you writing books ? What the actual fuck.

Bacon

Yeah Alex is clearly knowledgable about sports games but I don't think he realizes what his audience wants to see out of a sports quick look.

The pre game part was the funniest bit of the quick look, he should have been trying to highlight more stuff like that.

Zomba13

Yeah. I was super disappointed that they skipped some of the cutscenes (they looked hilarious and prime for riffing) and kinda disappointed they did the character off camera though I do understand why. I mean, it was informative and a good display of the game and did have me crying with laughter when Vinny went black (though he did manage to go back).

Draxyle

Neo Member
I think it's just the music in the mines of Spelunky that I dislike (a lot of notes that seem to break the tempo at random), and since you play that section so darn often I ended up turning the music off entirely. I've almost never heard anything passed that in my own time with the game.

I think Game Informer were cautious with the dark power they possessed and were reluctant to unleash it on the world. Giant Bomb just strolled in like the nazis from Raiders and said "fuck it" while opening the Ark.

Kirlia

Banned
Wow, what a bunch of assholes. They didn't like you writing books ? What the actual fuck.

Honestly, from the videos I've watched of them (mostly Replay stuff, some Test Chamber stuff), they don't seem like huge assholes (no, not even Joe, but I can see how some would view him as annoying), but I can see them being very uptight and prickish about non-video game stuff. Why? I don't know. Maybe they take being one of the few video game magazines left in the U.S. really seriously, to the point of near-obsession? Who knows?

In any case, their attitude seems odd to me. Before their magazine redesign, I remember the writing in their magazines (the picture captions especially, and around 2005-2007 or so) being pretty carefree and humorous. A lot of that disappeared with the redesign. I rather miss it, and it might be why I didn't really resubscribe to them after last year. I appreciate their work, and I still have fond memories of the magazine, but Giant Bomb is more of my style. :)

Bacon

Honestly, from the videos I've watched of them (mostly Replay stuff, some Test Chamber stuff), they don't seem like huge assholes (no, not even Joe, but I can see how some would view him as annoying), but I can see them being very uptight and prickish about non-video game stuff. Why? I don't know. Maybe they take being one of the few video game magazines left in the U.S. really seriously, to the point of near-obsession? Who knows?

In any case, their attitude seems odd to me. Before their magazine redesign, I remember the writing in their magazines (the picture captions especially, and around 2005-2007 or so) being pretty carefree and humorous. A lot of that disappeared with the redesign. I rather miss it, and it might be why I didn't really resubscribe to them after last year. I appreciate their work, and I still have fond memories of the magazine, but Giant Bomb is more of my style. :)

I read gameinformer purely for those little captions at one point in my life (I was young) I remember them being really funny and clever.

Drakeon

I'm with you. Truckee being on that list seems like a joke.

Granted, I don't live super close to Truckee, but I know of it and I don't understand how it's on there. Only thing I can figure is pay is shit there?

Although I've heard South Lake Tahoe is pretty high as well.

CrazyDude

I don't think he was most say corporate people didn't want him writing a book.

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I really, genuinely appreciate you being active here and answering questions/interacting with posters here? It's pretty fuckin rad, and I appreciate the time spent doing it, even for a bunch of goofballs like us.

Honestly, from the videos I've watched of them (mostly Replay stuff, some Test Chamber stuff), they don't seem like huge assholes (no, not even Joe, but I can see how some would view him as annoying), but I can see them being very uptight and prickish about non-video game stuff. Why? I don't know. Maybe they take being one of the few video game magazines left in the U.S. really seriously, to the point of near-obsession? Who knows?)

I very much doubt the editors are to blame. This has to come from the suits in management. Those are the assholes about whom I was talking; not the GI gang. They're good people.

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I really, genuinely appreciate you being active here and answering questions/interacting with posters here? It's pretty fuckin rad, and I appreciate the time spent doing it, even for a bunch of goofballs like us.

Totally.

Thanks for being active here, Dan !

Top Bottom