• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally watched the Fire Emblem fates quick look, and I'm super frustrated how he says he'll show how things are different...and then never shows the Conquest save he has, to show how things are different.

When Vinny literally takes the wheel in the ATS QL. This is amazing.

Finally watched the Fire Emblem fates quick look, and I'm super frustrated how he says he'll show how things are different...and then never shows the Conquest save he has, to show how things are different.

Basically,

Birthright is structured more like Awakening and to a lesser extent, Fire Emblem 8: Sacred Stones, where you have a map and can visit different locations and essentially grind older chapter's maps for as much experience as you want.

Conquest is structured like older FE games (except 8) where it's very linear where you can't travel back to older chapters and grind for experience. You have a set number of experience points you can gain and have to make do with that.

According to people who've played it, Conquest seems to have the tighter map design of the two stories and is seen as the better game.

yami4ct

When Vinny literally takes the wheel in the ATS QL. This is amazing.

Basically,

Birthright is structured more like Awakening and to a lesser extent, Fire Emblem 8: Sacred Stones, where you have a map and can visit different locations and essentially grind older chapter's maps for as much experience as you want.

Conquest is structured like older FE games (except 8) where it's very linear where you can't travel back to older chapters and grind for experience. You have a set number of experience points you can gain and have to make do with that.

According to people who've played it, Conquest seems to have the tighter map design of the two stories and is seen as the better game.

If you hated Awakening's (awful) map design, Birthright is dramatically improved as well. I still miss the variety of objectives, but the maps definitely feel actually tactically interesting.

Just finished Chapter 9 in Birthright on Hard. The boss was an absolute bitch. Crits everywhere! Still, that map had some really fun designs with some strategic heal points and some nice use of reinforcements that constantly kept me on edge. Rushing to stop the archers from stealing the loot created some good urgency as well.

Jintor

Just watched this gamespot vive price video for god knows why, but I fell in love with this chicks voice. My goodness.

hehe, Jess McDonell is Australian, fwiw

She talks like a BBC news reporter. Not the accent but the intonation and such.

Also I googled her but spelled the name wrong which resulted in this being the top result. Cool stuff.

Figured as such.

Ye, I noticed that aswell. Love it.

You should come over down under then.

Though I've been here so long it just sounds normal.

only met jess once or twice... I know zorine a bit better, but she doesn't do international stuff as much.

also that thread is, and I don't use this expression lightly, full of cringe. A couple of reasonable people here and there though.

i have this pokemon picross thing and it's really good. if i wanted to play more picross what should i buy
The one I've played the most is Mario's Super Picross. If you have a Japanese or PAL Wii U (or apparently the Wii in these regions too), it's on the Virtual Console. It's a Super Famicom game so much of it still in Japanese. It gets very difficult and has many puzzles but has a good learning curve, and has a warm aesthetic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Huh, Far Cry Primal looks way better than expected. I'm still sick of the Ubisoft formula but maybe if I take a year of this'll be a good game for a Steam sale.

Edit: Although I was never a big fan of hunting animals which seems way more important in this game

Fantastapotamus

I haven't played an ubisoft game since far cry 3 so I think I'm ready to jump in again.

I feel like Far Cry 4 would still be the better game to jump in on. I had so much fun with the wingsuit. Depends on what you are looking for.
You can probably do more dumb shit in FC4 because there were no explosives in 10.000 BC as far as I know.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like Far Cry 4 would still be the better game to jump in on. I had so much fun with the wingsuit. Depends on what you are looking for.
You can probably do more dumb shit in FC4 because there were no explosives in 10.000 BC as far as I know.

Yeah but can I have a sabre tooth tiger as a pet?

Fantastapotamus

You put forth a very compelling argument.

I can tell you from experience, using an elephant to ram a jeep full of enemies off a cliff is hugely satisfying.
Though 4 is obviously very much like 3 with some added features. It's not a huge difference. I ended up not finishing it despite having a good time.

Wunder

I can tell you from experience, using an elephant to ram a jeep full of enemies off a cliff is hugely satisfying.
Though 4 is obviously very much like 3 with some added features. It's not a huge difference. I ended up not finishing it despite having a good time.

I couldn't get into 3 but I loaded up 4 since I got my new PC and I immediately fell into the same loop I got into 3 which is just grabbing as many skins as possible to fully upgrade my stuff before continuing on. I have a problem

FC Primal is a full game made out of the worst parts of FC4.

tbh, not being able to fly a gyrocopter over a checkpoint and rain down grenade death isn't doing this game any favors

can I ride a pterodactyl?

can I shoot an sabretooth tiger in the face with a robocop gun?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think my problem with the FC formula is that in their very organic looking environments they've created the most mechanical and inorganic gameplay loop imaginable.

Xater

I think my problem with the FC formula is that in their very organic looking environments they've created the most mechanical and inorganic gameplay loop imaginable.

This basically also now being the same thing for the third time doesn't help either. But Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft. Why gave new ideas when you can just do the same ones over and over again?

Megasoum

Banned
Still not sure about Primal since they removed most of the tools I like from previous Far Cry games but IMO Far Cry 3 and 4 have far better gameplay loop than MGS5.

I had way more fun doing stealth outpost takeover in FC games than I ever did in MGS.

Far Cry Primal seems like it should have been a fun, smaller scope Blood Dragon type thing but they just kept putting more Ubisoft content bloat into it to get a $60 game out of it.

Also kind of surprised they didn't do a 360 / ps3 version but I guess maybe at this stage its less about the old consoles being capable and more that its not really worth the effort now. You would think being next gen only meant they could do something cool.

Is there an easy way to download all of the GB podcasts? Feel like going through some again but would like to have them stored locally.

As in, a bulk download dating back to 2008.

Should I get a graphics card now or wait until the Fall for the new cards? I really need a new card (560ti) and would like to get another monitor with it.

Just give it a bit for the new lines to come out, then you can decide if you want to buy the latest and greatest or the discounted, but still rad, previous gen cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom