• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an epiphany this morning while I was taking a shower and now I've just discovered something in The Witness that has my jaw absolutely on the floor. Like walking around my living room mouthing "What the fuck. What the fuuuuck"

I haven't played Far Cry since 3, but i'm tired of Far Cry. The pet stuff looks cool but I've always liked the premise of Far Cry more than I actually enjoy playing Far Cry.

Jothel

Jeff and people being sent to Japan for the launch of the PSP and everyone being super stoked about the PSP is super weird to think about, considering how the Vita went.

Jeff and people being sent to Japan for the launch of the PSP and everyone being super stoked about the PSP is super weird to think about, considering how the Vita went.

eh, it was a different time. Sony was coming off the super hot PSX and PS2 and the PSP seemed like a surefire hit, especially given how funky and weird the DS was looking at the time in comparison.

Some old On The Spots have been uploaded onto this account
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/mendelson9/blog/classic-bomb-2-lets-watch-on-the-spotagain/112681/

Man getting my questions answered on that was like the highlight of my evening. Always remember seeing Danny O'Dwyer in the chat too.

Boy the mid 2000s were silly.

lol those dial up days were a pain in the fucking ass. It took me an eternity when I wanted to watch an epsiode but dang, that's awesome that there's always someone out there who has a few episodes on hand to share. Always a good time to look back on it.

Wow, being able to turn off the skinning and searching animation is pretty damn good.

I saw that and thought "hm, maybe I do want to play this" and a few minutes later realized how dumb of a reason that is

Don't forget that 2 is the best anyway.

beating a mission by starting a massive fire that burned the cartel or whatever to death is one of my favorite game moments ever

also the time I blew up a convoy with my last 4 bullets by kicking propane tanks into a pile on the side of the road

Frith

I had an epiphany this morning while I was taking a shower and now I've just discovered something in The Witness that has my jaw absolutely on the floor. Like walking around my living room mouthing "What the fuck. What the fuuuuck"

come on spoiler tag that shit and tell us I live for witness epiphany stories

Xater

Don't forget that 2 is the best anyway.

Just because the Idle Thumbs weirdos say that does not make it right.

better than 3 and leveling up is way faster. he should not deny himself a good game.

The differences are so marginal, that it doesn't make a difference. Do I think it's a better game? Yes. Did I like it more? No, because it was already treading too much on the same paths.

beating a mission by starting a massive fire that burned the cartel or whatever to death is one of my favorite game moments ever

also the time I blew up a convoy with my last 4 bullets by kicking propane tanks into a pile on the side of the road

FC2 might be the best open world game I've played when it comes to enabling player stories like that.

better than 3 and leveling up is way faster. he should not deny himself a good game.

It's also the exact same, if someone was bored by FC3 I doubt 4 will change their mind.

3's kind of bad but I'm glad it exists because it's so stupid. I like that the director tried to make a game about white savior tropes and animal cruelty as some kind of "statement" but he fucked up and actually just made a white savior/animal cruelty simulator

LiK

FC4 also has better characters, music and a more refreshing locale that isn't another tropical jungle. if everything is the same to you guys, you should quit 90% of the games you play.

Xater

3's kind of bad but I'm glad it exists because it's so stupid. I like that the director tried to make a game about white savior tropes and animal cruelty as some kind of "statement" but he fucked up and actually just made a white savior/animal cruelty simulator

Oh the story of 3 sucks ass. It plays great though. Still I am all out of enthusiasm for Far Cry after 4. That fatigue set in even faster than with AC. Ubi seems to be at least great at that.

FC4 also has better characters, music and a more refreshing locale that isn't another tropical jungle. if everything is the same to you guys, you should quit 90% of the games you play.

None of these things make it a better game to play. It still has the same upgrade system, the same skills, the same gameplay loops of getting to towers and taking out bases camps. Then fill the map with a bunch of busy work and you have a new Far Cry game.

Also not playing most Ubisoft games these days is working out great for me. Thank you very much.

S5ROMWk.png

come on spoiler tag that shit and tell us I live for witness epiphany stories

Post-game secrets inside:

It was what to do with the pattern in the lockbox you find close to the challenge. I knew I had seen that shape before but couldn't remember where. This morning I was getting ready and suddenly realized: oh snap, that panel at the beginning of the game. Then it was just a crazy cascade of stuff: environmental puzzle with the sun, secret resort appearing out of nowhere, credits audio logs, FMV, the PISS JAR. What a crazy thing.

I also discovered the arrow-puzzle pillar in the starting area, which was cool.

LiK

None of these things make it a better game to play. It still has the same upgrade system, the same skills, the same gameplay loops of getting to towers and taking out bases camps. Then fill the map with a bunch of busy work and you have a new Far Cry game.

Also not playing most Ubisoft games these days is working out great for me. Thank you very much.

good, I won't be playing Division with you then. not like I care.

Yeah 20 minutes in and I know I'm just going to pass on this Far Cry too. Ubisoft games all suffer from the sports games template syndrome, where they only make the most minor adjustments to a game because they don't want to alienate the core audience. This one is a nice step to the side but there's nothing here that's attracting me. I got my FC fill with 3 playing that for longer than I should have (and never beating it because the game would crash on the final helicopter sequence).

baka

Xater

I said most. The Division is still on my wait and see list, until my concerns after the betas have been addressed. You won't see my buying Watchdogs 2 though. That's for sure.

LoL Lik so butthurt. No longer following me on Twitter. Plus that tweet haha. Can't take a different opinion.

Far Cry Primal is something that would've been a 30 dollar expansion pack in the late 90s. Ubisoft dragging what's left of the far cry name in the mud just to launch another series, they need an intervention

At the start of the quick look I was intrigued by what I was seeing then the further in I got the less I was interested to the point of now, at the end of the quick look, I kind of never want to touch a Far Cry game again until it is dramatically overhauled. Drug trip missions being mentioned. Tagging and tailing an enemy. An insanely busy map. I just cannot do it. I think I half realized that with 4 because I didn't really like 4 after having a fun time with 3 and now seeing Primal I think I am permanently done until things change.

Frith

Post-game secrets inside:

amazing! you got the full experience
i was obsessed with that gate from about the second environmental puzzle i found to the point of asking jblow on twitter if it was missable i was sure it was a puzzle. depending on how much other stuff you have left achievement wise you can watch brad stare past that arrow pillar wile jblow talks about any circle in the game being deliberate

Xater

At the start of the quick look I was intrigued by what I was seeing then the further in I got the less I was interested to the point of now, at the end of the quick look, I kind of never want to touch a Far Cry game again until it is dramatically overhauled. Drug trip missions being mentioned. Tagging and tailing an enemy. An insanely busy map. I just cannot do it. I think I half realized that with 4 because I didn't really like 4 after having a fun time with 3 and now seeing Primal I think I am permanently done until things change.

It's a huge problem open world Ubisoft games have had for years now. The worst part is how most mechanics find their way into different franchises which make them all feel way too homogenous.

Karak

Holy Hell the Angry Centaur Gaming vids of Far Cry Primal have sold me on it. (Not gonna go for it for full price tho)

I loved it man. I admit I came into this thing with a whole lot of trepidation and maybe a bit of just outright...disdain or something. But despite it still having the Farcry name and game bits, it also has a refreshingly enjoyable gameplay loop that just never seems to get old. I also love the cutdown of collectibles(less than 1/2 compared to FC4) and towers have been basically cut down to the typical open world equal and not so Ubisoftish.
Its not going to relive open world fatigue for anyone I don't think. But that reduction in map mess and the atmosphere...sooooo good.

Xater

This thread has now caused silly tweets two days in a row, keep up the good work everyone.

Hey man I can't do anything about people not being able to handle the opinion that FC4 is too similar to 3. It's not even that controversial.

The East crew has not yet said what their next stream will be right? I wonder if Vinny will finally return to Castlevania.

Hey man I can't do anything about people not being able to handle the opinion that FC4 is too similar to 3. It's not even that controversial.

The East crew has not yet said what their next stream will be right? I wonder if Vinny will finally return to Castlevania.

Maybe he's just having a bad day.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

I need a castlevania 64 playthrough.

Houndi101

I loved it man. I admit I came into this thing with a whole lot of trepidation and maybe a bit of just outright...disdain or something. But despite it still having the Farcry name and game bits, it also has a refreshingly enjoyable gameplay loop that just never seems to get old. I also love the cutdown of collectibles(less than 1/2 compared to FC4) and towers have been basically cut down to the typical open world equal and not so Ubisoftish.
Its not going to relive open world fatigue for anyone I don't think. But that reduction in map mess and the atmosphere...sooooo good.

That really came through from the vids too, good work.
I'm still working through the Quick Look but it's bothering me Jeff is using the owl and the UI, but each his own I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom