• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Ok. So ideal perfect world vsync would introduce no extra input lag? So for every game where I've disabled it any noticed a difference (that's every game), those games weren't optimised ideally or the gpu isn't doing a perfect job or whatever for that to hold true. So perhaps one could say that vsync kinda sorta is causing that noticeable input lag in those games, and disabling it would be a good idea if you want to get good precision of movement.

Take note of what they do in VR.

They have Vsync enabled with a short render chain with Double Buffering. There is no way around it. Vsync ensures frames are written to the display when the display is ready for it thus also ensuring that complete frames hit the display with consistent timing. Double Buffering is the minimum output queue you want, because you don't want to write to the same buffer that the display is reading from.

What VR games do differently is they don't triple buffer or queue any frames, but then they *absolutely* cannot miss a frame in the rendering window because then you get a massive lag spike.

Lag is a consequence of buffering+vsync.

I don't know why, but most games produce way more than the 17ms at 60fps of input lag you're suggesting, even if you can render a higher framerate. It's straight up unplayable in some games and I turn it off by default in every game. That's why G-Sync is one of the best upgrades you can buy right now and will hopefully become a standard in the future, even for consoles/TVs.

Some games have a really dumb implementation of triple buffering, where instead of the game rendering as many frames as it can between each refresh and displaying the latest one it renders two frames in advance and shows the earliest one.

Myggen

did brad not only try to pull off a spoiler with the bosses stuff in DD but get it wrong in the process, too?

Is that a new low for brad?

I know this is a moot point now, but are we really at a point where we consider the amount of enemies/bosses in a game like this to be "spoilers"?

Seems Project Beast has been grounded.

Vinny said on the Beastcast (or some other content last week) that they're taking a few weeks off from Project BEAST.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Alright. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that's very interesting, but I guess I don't know why you took issue with the advice to disable vsync to reduce input lag. Ok, vsync alone is not the culprit, but disabling it is effectively the solution a typical end user can take advantage of.

This fucking thread lately.

2733173-jeff_smile.gif

Alright. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that's very interesting, but I guess I don't know why you took issue with the advice to disable vsync to reduce input lag. Ok, vsync alone is not the culprit, but disabling it is effectively the solution a typical end user can take advantage of.

tuxfool didn't take issue with the advice but this statement:
wait, there are people who claim that vsync doesn't affect input response?

that's like flat earth theory

tuxfool

Banned

Because it is a horrible solution that shouldn't be necessary. That is more my issue with it, along with the fact that it doesn't necessarily curb the aforementioned issues with the render queue, which may still produce unecessary lag (provided that game renders close to the refresh rate ). It isn't a lot because it is just dumping frames to the display, but in that situation it should only be dumping one.

Torn frames are also far from ideal and results in wonky frame pacing. Luckily one can fix that by also frame limiting.

Myggen

Did he say if they plan on replacing it with anything else? VinnyVania and COOA have been missing in action for a while as well.

Those probably wouldn't be direct replacements, right? But no, it was just them talking about Project BEAST for a minute or two IIRC.

Vinny said on the Beastcast (or some other content last week) that they're taking a few weeks off from Project BEAST.

Giantbomb has had this issue since forever I think. They need to take longer breaks between game sessions to give themselves a breather. Either they get wrapped up in the hype of a game or are peer pressured into playing a game too quickly by their audience.

All their shows are so front loaded that they get burned out and rarely if ever return to the concept again. But then again, if you wait too long between sessions, you run the risk of forgetting how to play.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
tuxfool didn't take issue with the advice but this statement:

Ah.

Because it is a horrible solution that shouldn't be necessary. That is more my issue with it, along with the fact that it doesn't necessarily curb the aforementioned issues with the render queue, which may still produce unecessary lag (provided that game renders close to the refresh rate ). It isn't a lot because it is just dumping frames to the display, but in that situation it should only be dumping one.

Torn frames are also far from ideal and results in wonky frame pacing. Luckily one can fix that by also frame limiting.

Ok. I was completely talking about what a person who has a game installed can do to remedy the problem of input lag on their computer. It's a solution with other side-effects, but in my experience it is the only solution available, and for competitive shooters it's not even really a question for me. I either play at a slight disadvantage with vsync on, at which point I'd sooner not play the game at all, or I put up with those side-effects for the least laggy experience possible.

If we're talking about a real solution to the problem from a software/hardware development perspective, then of course I agree that solution is not good enough.

Xater

now that wrestling is good again, and anime will be good again in April, enjoy the last month or so of a pure decent thread

Wait what? When did that happen? WWE is still not good. I mean their shitty booking resulted exactly in the reaction I expected for Reigns for example. How they thought this would work is beyond me. Other stuff like Lucha Underground I'm with you.

Bowlie

Banned
I'd like to try Devil Daggers. I'd also like to try TIS-100, which is basically the diametric opposite of Devil Daggers.

Decisions.

I don't know about Devil Daggers, but TIS-100 is absolutely fun if you're into that shit. And the whole point is also to compare your score with your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom