• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

god, the punish after DD's first boss...

I'd like to share Brad and Dan's interest in keeping tabs on leaderboard progression, but cheatengine is a thing...

Robaperas

Is the html5 player not working for anyone else? Not just on this video but all of them. I can't skip ahead to any point. Yesterday it wasn't even loading all the ui-elements.

Yup, can't pause it either, I almost watched it on youtube, almost.

kAmui-

Yup, can't pause it either, I almost watched it on youtube, almost.

Every now and then I'm forced to used the youtube player. Sometimes their player just refuses to load anything at a watchable rate. And this has been happening just about forever. Really annoying.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Make sure you disable vsync for devil dags if you haven't already

Kelas

ok, that makes sense

Yeah, with it off you get much more predictable/precise/instant mouse movement. Even at a solid 60, with vsync on there's just enough swimminess to throw you off, and you may end up (unwittingly) compensating by moving slightly slower to make sure you get your aim right.

pizzacat

Banned
etZYA2a.png
Where do panties go?

ITT people still don't understand what Vsync does.

If your fps is hitting the refresh rate of your monitor there should be no input lag.

well depending on the game and the type of vsync used, yeah, there could be a slight bit of input lag and/or mouse smoothing. I haven't played DD so i have no idea what solution, if any, it may have for tearing but it's possible.

this article is ancient by current standards but it does discuss how different takes on vysnc can have an effect on input lag. Some more than others, some not at all, but it isn't some sort of weird placebo thing ignorant people spit out

I never noticed it personally and I would take whatever lag it might create over fucking terrible screen tearing any day of the week.

you don't notice the earth being round either, but that doesn't stop it from being true. if it doesn't bother you then play however you like!

also triple buffering for life

tuxfool

Banned
wait, there are people who claim that vsync doesn't affect input response?

that's like flat earth theory

Vsync isn't the cause, but rather the render queue. You can have Vsync with no input delay. Well technically if you're waiting for the screen refresh there is a delay, but as long as you can render every frame faster than 16ms (@60hz) it should be the best case scenario in the sense that the only way to reduce it would be to render at a higher frequency.

Vsync isn't the cause, but rather the render queue. You can have Vsync with no input delay. Well technically if you're waiting for the screen refresh there is a delay, but as long as you can render every frame faster than 16ms (@60hz) it should be non existent.

okay, fair, but in practice the number of games that actually pull this off are a minority

I really wish I could afford a gsync monitor.

ArjanN

well being able to see replays helps with this stuff as you can write off a bullshit run pretty easily

This. Of course they'd still have to manually remove bogus scores, but like shmups the replays easily give away the cheaters anyway.

Oh, and the twitch guy in their quick look has gotten the 1 achievement in the game now apparantly for his just over 500 run.

So I'm guessing that's bascially the end of the game, although he did die at the end, but at that point there's so many enemies I don't see anyone getting much further as they pretty much seem to spawn faster than you can kill at that point.

Xater

I was very confused where the 13 bosses thing they talked about came from? On the Steam page for Devil Daggers it clearly just says 13 different enemies.

Myggen

I was very confused where the 13 bosses thing they talked about came from? On the Steam page for Devil Daggers it clearly just says 13 different enemies.

Yeah, Brad(?) was probably mistaken there. It seems like there's just 13 different enemy types.

Kelas

I never noticed it personally and I would take whatever lag it might create over fucking terrible screen tearing any day of the week.

Not to sound like a leet no scope 420 what u use for smoke weed bro, but that little bit of lag is unacceptable if you're playing competitive shooters to win.

I enable it for any game where that precision isn't necessary.

Vsync isn't the cause, but rather the render queue. You can have Vsync with no input delay. Well technically if you're waiting for the screen refresh there is a delay, but as long as you can render every frame faster than 16ms (@60hz) it should be the best case scenario in the sense that the only way to reduce it would be to render at a higher frequency.

Ok. So ideal perfect world vsync would introduce no extra input lag? So for every game where I've disabled it and noticed a difference (that's every game), those games weren't optimised ideally or the gpu isn't doing a perfect job or whatever for that to hold true. So perhaps one could say that vsync kinda sorta is causing that noticeable input lag in those games, and disabling it would be a good idea if you want to get good precision of movement.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why, but most games produce way more than the 17ms at 60fps of input lag you're suggesting, even if you can render a higher framerate. It's straight up unplayable in some games and I turn it off by default in every game. That's why G-Sync is one of the best upgrades you can buy right now and will hopefully become a standard in the future, even for consoles/TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom