• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Just imagine how different RE's trajectory would be if RE6 was an always-online, hub-based multiplayer game instead of a co-op game. A dramatically different Destiny.

Dammit. I was just about to make a joke about 'A bad game that plays well is still a bad game. Just ask Destiny'. Then you stole it.

yami4ct

what, some people are still harping about that shit?

I'm not going to completely blame them, but the GamerGate crowd seems to have jumped on this bandwagon. The results have been unsurprising.

Is Treehouse the one that throws those stupid memes into their translation?

They do that pretty infrequently to add personality. That complaint is so overblown. Their scripts aren't remotely meme filled.

My girlfriend and I spent like a month playing just mercenaries on RE6. Definitely an underrated game. It's one of those games that gets a lot of shit because it never properly introduces it's mechanics and has some obnoxious QTEs, but if you're willing to actually learn the game it's one of the best TPS ever, kinda like a blend between shooter and Devil May Cry style action game. If you never tried it because people like Brad said it was terrible you should definitely give it another shot.

yami4ct

It hasn't advanced much for people that haven't been following VR closely, sure.

People following VR just keep saying 'it'll be revolutionary. Believe us! with nothing to back that up. Yes more content keeps getting announced and there are tech advances, but to no clear end. Just more promises that may or may not get fulfilled.

Leaning towards this for Tim. Thoughts?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264480/

The game will only open in 640x480 window mode, so I had to maximize the windowed game which results in the text being COMPLETELY illegible.

This game is abyssmal. I've played 50 minutes now, and it is inexcusibly awful. Everything is inconsistent. Unacceptable and terrible sound design, loading times for EACH TINY LITTLE AREA in the game. The inventory is a complete joke and looks like it's designed in paint with textures and pictures slapped together from Google. I've recorded my 50 minutes of gameplay which contains my first impressions. Will link to them here shortly.

Technical disaster.

i'd really try to see if you can even run it properly first lest you choose to do a bradley on UPF

People following VR just keep saying 'it'll be revolutionary. Believe us! with nothing to back that up. Yes more content keeps getting announced and there are tech advances, but to no clear end. Just more promises that may or may not get fulfilled.

No clear end? What does mean? I don't understand what your point is, the consumer versions of the headsets aren't out yet.

No clear end? What does mean? I don't understand what your point is, the consumer versions of the headsets aren't out yet.

wouldn't the fact that you can't properly predict the course that VR as a platform and VR software will take actually a good thing?

Like that's part of what makes VR exciting, not knowing what lies ahead

Yes

Their translations are usually cringeworthy and horrible

But if fans want to complain they can not just buy the game

I disagree with all of this. Treehouse is one of the best localization studios in the business. Further, voting with your wallet is real dumb unless you also state your motivation for doing so. Here's an example: let's say I skip Metroid Prime: Federation Force because I don't want a mission-based, co-op Metroid. What's the takeaway if I say nothing? Do I hate Metroid? Do I hate 3DS games? It's not valuable information, and the wrong interpretation of my actions could be counter-productive in getting what I actually want, a new single-player Metroid. So, if you're complaining about something, ignore everyone who tells you to shut up and just vote with your wallet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 2m minutes ago

Time to give this stuff a proper look.

CcKghTMUUAA_jEb.jpg

yami4ct

wouldn't the fact that you can't properly predict the course that VR as a platform and VR software will take actually a good thing?

The problem is, it's one thing to be exciting. If you're going to claim a revolution for years on end, you better have something to back that up. So far, there isn't any real content to prove it. Just hopes, dreams and promises. After years of hype, it's tiring.

wouldn't the fact that you can't properly prediction the course that VR as a platform and VR software will take actually a good thing?

Yep. It's the first real, meaningful change in gaming in a long time. Regardless of how it shakes out, I'm excited to be there day 1. Some people are just mad they can't afford it so they're coming up with perfunctory criticisms of it before VR is even in the consumers' hands.
And still the revolutionary content that keeps getting promised has yet to be shown.

No point then, got it.

I disagree with all of this. Treehouse is one of the best localization studios in the business. Further, voting with your wallet is real dumb unless you also state your motivation for doing so. Here's an example: let's say I skip Metroid Prime: Federation Force because I don't want a mission-based, co-op Metroid. What's the takeaway if I say nothing? Do I hate Metroid? Do I hate 3DS games? It's not valuable information, and the wrong interpretation of my actions could be counter-productive in getting what I actually want, a new single-player Metroid. So, if you're complaining about something, ignore everyone who tells you to shut up and just vote with your wallet.

Nintendo doesnt know what the hell to do with metroid. Lets say you buy the coop metroid, what does that tell nintendo? You want more coop metroid games that arent metroid on the 3ds?

Atleast if you vote with your wallet and choose to not buy something, youre telling nintendo theyre doing something wrong. So then they see what worked with the Metroid IP and then go back to that.

Also treehouse may be good translators, but that doesnt mean their stuff isnt cringeworthy. If I wanted memes, I would go to 9gag. And 9gag is trash.

yami4ct

Yep. It's the first real, meaningful change in gaming in a long time. Regardless of how it shakes out, I'm excited to be there day 1. Some people are just mad they can't afford it so they're coming up with perfunctory criticisms of it before VR is even in the consumers' hands.

No point then, got it.

Saying that VR has yet to prove itself after years of hype means I have no point? Good job being incredibly dismissive.

I want VR to be good. Sure. All I'm saying is that it has a ton to prove, years of hype, and no real content to show for it. All of that is tiring as a tech enthusiast.

Saying that VR has yet to prove itself after years of hype means I have no point? Good job being incredibly dismissive.

I want VR to be good. Sure. All I'm saying is that it has a ton to prove, years of hype, and no real content to show for it. All of that is tiring as a tech enthusiast.

VR is not yet a consumer product. I do not know what you are expecting of a product that is not yet released.

yami4ct

VR is not yet a consumer product. I do not know what you are expecting of a product that is not yet released.

Wasn't the point of literally years of hype and pushing back of consumer editions that there would actually be some good content ready for launch? Launch is here and VR still has nothing truly interesting to show. That's a problem.

Nintendo doesnt know what the hell to do with metroid. Lets say you buy the coop metroid, what does that tell nintendo? You want more coop metroid games that arent metroid on the 3ds?

Atleast if you vote with your wallet and choose to not buy something, youre telling nintendo theyre doing something wrong. So then they see what worked with the Metroid IP and then go back to that.

Also treehouse may be good translators, but that doesnt mean their stuff isnt cringeworthy. If I wanted memes, I would go to 9gag. And 9gag is trash.

You're not disagreeing with me, broadly speaking. You're just restating my point in the opposite situation for aome reason. But okay. There's a reason companies send surveys to buyer. They want to know why I bought something so I'll continue to buy things. Further, to your second point, saying why I'm not buying something is clearly more valuable than just not buying something. It's "you're doing something wrong" vs. "here's what's wrong and you can fix it by doing x." Finally, it's absurd that Treehouse has been painted with some sort of all-encompassing meme-machine brush because there are a handful of references in their localizations.

Wasn't the point of literally years of hype and pushing back of consumer editions that there would actually be some good content ready for launch? Launch is here and VR still has nothing truly interesting to show. That's a problem.

not really. A lot of that time was used to improve the consumer models so that they were better than they originally were and to help get the costs down by using better/cheaper parts.

I still remember when Brad got to check out Carmack's random ass bootleg VR rig with Doom 3 running and that was nearly half a decade ago. Lot's of the tech that exists today for consumer VR had to be created from scratch or heavily modified from other stuff. These things take time

but if you want to paint another narrative then i cant really stop you.

jaina

I think it's old conference tapes from his/Gamespot's archives, and not a console. In that case not planned for UPF.

One tape says "Squaresoft E3 2001"?

I feel like you're really over exaggerating and frankly if a little meming rustles your jimmies so bad then you should grow a thicker skin.

My jimmies arent rustled and my skin is thick

Memes are the lowest common denominator in comedy. If you resort to memes for a translation, that means your comedic chops are terrible. Like I said, treehouse may be proficient at translating, but they tend to cringe it up because theyre bad at making original jokes.

Theres a difference between a 1:1 translation which probably wouldnt work(but people want for some godawful reason), localizing content(ie burgers in ace attorney which is hilarious) which can be good, and resorting to memes to make a funny because the localizers are devoid of comedic intuition.

As a comedian, garbage is still garbage.

yami4ct

Memes are a terrible thing to put into a game. It instantly dates the game and is never funny.

Don't do it, not even once.

Humor is very often times an extremely timely thing. There is very little timeless humor. Removing a whole swath of potential writing because it 'dates' a project seems like a net negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom