• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaning towards this for Tim. Thoughts?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264480/

Well, it is quite something which is why I recommended it. I want to see Tim go through it.

2618954-trying+not+to+laugh.gif

Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 2m minutes ago

Time to give this stuff a proper look.

Exciting stuff.

yami4ct

My jimmies arent rustled and my skin is thick

Memes are the lowest common denominator in comedy. If you resort to memes for a translation, that means your comedic chops are terrible. Like I said, treehouse may be proficient at translating, but they tend to cringe it up because theyre bad at making original jokes.

Theres a difference between a 1:1 translation which probably wouldnt work(but people want for some godawful reason), localizing content(ie burgers in ace attorney which is hilarious) which can be good, and resorting to memes to make a funny because the localizers are devoid of comedic intuition.

As a comedian, garbage is still garbage.

Again, I think you're exaggerating Treehouse's use of memes. They aren't that frequent. They have a couple here and there and most of the time in weird out of the way places.

Compatible does not equal the revolution VR enthusiasts are selling.

I'm not saying VR is a flop or a bad thing. I'm just demonstrating the problems I have, why I haven't been sold and why I'm tiring of the discussion.

Once again, dismiss anyone who doesn't exactly agree with you. I can see this conversation is going nowhere, so I'm dropping it.

Wunder

yami you can't win on two fronts man, it's impossible! the anti-memers and VR enthusiasts are forming the Allied Powers against you

santeesioux

Again, I think you're exaggerating Treehouse's use of memes. They aren't that frequent. They have a couple here and there and most of the time in weird out of the way places.

Yeah, I haven't come across that many about halfway through Birthright yet, but as mentioned the pickle thing and wolf-kin are pretty cringey.

Compatible does not equal the revolution VR enthusiasts are selling.

Once again, dismiss anyone who doesn't exactly agree with you. I can see this conversation is going nowhere, so I'm dropping it.

You keep moving the goal post because you're seeing you've spoken out of ignorance. There is literally nothing anyone could have shown you that would have been sufficient because it wouldn't conform to your narrative.

It comes down to the fact that the thing isn't out yet.

yami4ct

yami you can't win on two fronts man, it's impossible! the anti-memers and VR enthusiasts are forming the Allied Powers against you

If WWII has taught us anything, a multi-front war is unwinnable.

I'm actually not a huge fan of memes myself, but I do enjoy Treehouse's work on average. Yes they have some flops, but they're often aren't working with the most well written things to begin with. Trying to inject personality into these long, and frequently pretty bland, scripts is tricky and you aren't going to be successful 100% of the time. I hate to see the bandwagoning of negativity based on a handful of poor or silly examples.

Professional Betacam player with SDI output.

I've... never heard of that. Guess I'm watching this UPF whether I want to or not.
That's like saying you should never make references in games.

Humor is very often times an extremely timely thing. There is very little timeless humor. Removing a whole swath of potential writing because it 'dates' a project seems like a net negative.

These two go together, and are the crux of the meme issue.

Memes are always dated; it's what happens to something that was once funny and becomes horribly overused to the point that it's a tired and inescapable reference. It is mentioned out of obligation, or worse, a misguided attempt to be "with it," and never from any sort of comedic impulse.

A game can only be improved by removing its needless, unwanted meme references. Then, instead of cringing, one will just be playing the game instead.

yami4ct

I've... never heard of that. Guess I'm watching this UPF whether I want to or not.

These two go together, and are the crux of the meme issue.

Memes are always dated; it's what happens to something that was once funny and becomes horribly overused to the point that it's a tired and inescapable reference. It is mentioned out of obligation, or worse, a misguided attempt to be "with it," and never from any sort of comedic impulse.

A game can only be improved by removing its needless, unwanted meme references. Then, instead of cringing, one will just be playing the game instead.

You're only really describing one type of meme. You also have the fact that people define any type of internet humor they personally do not enjoy as a 'meme'. See the complaints over the l33t speak joke in that Mario and Luigi game.

I've been guilty of it as well. I accused Undertale of having meme based humor, when really that isn't the case. What's really going on is that I didn't particularly enjoy that type of joke, so I identified it as 'other'.

Brashnir

I'm surprised there aren't more memes in the WWE. Seems like something Vince would force onto people.

Wrestling is already nothing but recycled characters and plot points. At some point, adding more recycled nonsense on top will cause an inescapable recursion loop and destroy the universe.

It has already happened in other, alternate universes. Ours continues to survive, for now, because it hasn't happened here yet.

Fjolle

I don't think this is for UPF. More likely a video commentary feature.

It really is just a fancy vcr that plays whatever casettes the conferences are on, and outputs a signal that won't make the video guys go crazy.

I don't think this is for UPF. More likely a video commentary feature.

It really is just a fancy vcr that plays whatever casettes the conferences are on, and outputs a signal that won't make the video guys go crazy.

Ohhh.

I just assumed it was some wildly obscure console. Y'know how Jeff loves those.

yami4ct

They also did Paper Mario TTYD

I've never played a Paper Mario.

I should play a Paper Mario.

last time it was time traveling mojo. What's the excuse now? (you can hide in tags)

Magic Dimension where time passes more quickly. Think DBZ training montage
. It's dumb, but Fates' narrative is dumb. FE in general is pretty dumb even if Awakening and Fates are worse than usual.

Curufinwe

Anyone else get worried when that little boy's voice came on during the PvZ QL that he was going to drop a six letter n-word or f-word?

Tubobutts

last time it was time traveling mojo. What's the excuse now? (you can hide in tags)
Your base is a castle in a magic dimension where time passes in such a way to allow people to get pregnant and have kids while time doesn't pass in the real world. Then when the kids are born they dump then in different magic dimensions where they grow up faster. From the parents point of view they visit the kids every few weeks while the kids see them every few years. The kids also have no part in the story. At least in Awakening the kids had a place in the story and had established relationships with each other.

Bowlie

Banned
Your base is a castle in a magic dimension where time passes in such a way to allow people to get pregnant and have kids while time doesn't pass in the real world. Then when the kids are born they dump then in different magic dimensions where they grow up faster. From the parents point of view they visit the kids every few weeks while the kids see them every few years. The kids also have no part in the story. At least in Awakening the kids had a place in the story and had established relationships with each other.

Who the fuck takes care of those kids then? There should be a different path where they kill their parents.

This is sooooo dumb. Besides that, I hope you're having fun with it.

yami4ct

Who the fuck takes care of those kids then? There should be a different path where they kill their parents.

This is sooooo dumb. Besides that, I hope you're having fun with it.

Fire Emblem Fates is one of the most interesting and well made Turn Based Strategy games I've played in a long, long time. I'm a big fan of championing writing in games and pushing for it, but the game is so good I can easily look past it.

At least the individual character interactions are charming enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom