• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
I feel like Death Note is to anime what Immortal Technique was to hip hop in the early to mid 2000's. Until then, all you've seen/heard was the mainstream stuff, but then you're introduced to a slightly more obscure show/rapper and you're like "Holy shit, this is amazing!" and then you go to all your friends and are all like "You've gotta check out Death Note/You've gotta listen to Dance With the Devil!" over and over just annoying the shit out of them and then a year later you finally start delving deeper and find all this great stuff and realize "Huh, Death Note/Immortal Technique really isn't that good."

Is Super Hot going to be the new game that people can't stop talking about and eventually drive it into the ground? I thought The Witness was going to take that, but the amount of people shouting 'go play this' died down really quickly.

The game's so short that I doubt the fervor over it will last all that much longer. Not to disparage it or anything.

yami4ct

The game's so short that I doubt the fervor over it will last all that much longer. Not to disparage it or anything.

Undertale is super short as well, but that didn't stop the community from driving it into the ground.

Not saying Super Hot is bad (It looks great) or that it'll get as over exposed as Undertale, but it's definitely heading more toward that direction.

kvothe

If Stardew Valley was on Vita, I'd play the shit out of it. Can't get myself to play something like that on PC for some reason.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Undertale is super short as well, but that didn't stop the community from driving it into the ground.

But SuperHot is great because of the gameplay, you can't really "meme" the game too much (other than the "Most innovative etc thing) whereas Undertale was basically a meme generator.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like Superhot very much. I thought it would be a cool fun action game, instead it's a trial and error puzzle game where you memorize enemy spawns. It's just not what I wanted out of it. Played for 25 minutes, decided I'd had my fill, and got a refund.

No ragrets

yami4ct

But SuperHot is great because of the gameplay, you can't really "meme" the game too much (other than the "Most innovative etc thing) whereas Undertale was basically a meme generator.

Do you need more than people just making 'X is Super Hot' jokes to get there? I feel like between that and the 'most innovative' thing, it's definitely getting a bit obnoxious.

Fantastapotamus

I didn't like Superhot very much. I thought it would be a cool fun action game, instead it's a trial and error puzzle game where you memorize enemy spawns. It's just not what I wanted out of it. Played for 25 minutes, decided I'd had my fill, and got a refund.

No ragrets

Huh, I don't see it as a puzzle game at all.

Do you need more than people just making 'X is Super Hot' jokes to get there? I feel like between that and the 'most innovative' thing, it's definitely getting a bit obnoxious.

Can't say, I haven't seen too much of that stuff so far tbh but I hope the game doesn't get the Undertale treatment. Cause I actually liked Undertale but I feel like I should hate Undertale for all the fucking memes it spawned. Don't want this to happen to SuperHot.

Is Super Hot going to be the new game that people can't stop talking about and eventually drive it into the ground? I thought The Witness was going to take that, but the amount of people shouting 'go play this' died down really quickly.

Super Hot is the Undertale of 2016

Not saying Super Hot is bad (It looks great) or that it'll get as over exposed as Undertale, but it's definitely heading more toward that direction.

I know it's irrational and dumb, but Undertale is the first game where the community around it has killed any desire I have to play it. I think that poster whose shtick was using some character's face to punctuate emotion in their posts was the nail in the coffin.

yami4ct

I know it's irrational and dumb, but Undertale is the first game where the community around it has killed any desire I have to play it. I think that poster whose shtick was using some character's face to punctuate emotion in their posts was the nail in the coffin.

Undertale at least has multiple jokes that goes with it.

With Super Hot, it's all just the 'most innovative' thing and everyone making the same dumb 'My weekend is SUPERHOT!' jokes acting as if they're super clever. It's driving me a bit up the wall.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Nothing irrational about it. It became a marker of that sub-community, like any meme - it's something that lets people who are in the know signal to their peers they're part of the gang. Only this particular gang wouldn't shut the fuck up about how cool their gang was and how it filled them with determination or whatever the fuck, so it got real old, real fast. To the point where NOT wanting to be part of that sub-culture is a totally reasonable response to have.

Myggen

Undertale at least has multiple jokes that goes with it.

With Super Hot, it's all just the 'most innovative' thing and everyone making the same dumb 'My weekend is SUPERHOT!' jokes acting as if they're super clever. It's driving me a bit up the wall.

I have honestly not seen much of that at all and it's gonna die out in a few weeks. It's gonna be alright.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair, every sub community is the worst.

Remember during the whole GB vs GT thing where people "well they're not cynical they're just not dumb fanboys."

That was the worst.

Fantastapotamus

Not the fault of the game really though.

Not at all. Not even the fault of the fans even. If anything it's my fault.

The cake is a lie.

You joke, but I just played Trine 3 since it's in the latest Humble Bundle and there is ENTIRE level dedicated to a "The cake is a lie" joke.
You chase a cake it till the end of the level. Then it disappears and all the characters shout "The cake is a lie" I'm not making this up.
I had to look up when Trine 3 was released and it was August 20th 2015.
2015!

yami4ct

I have honestly not seen much of that at all and it's gonna die out in a few weeks. It's gonna be alright.

I've seen pretty much the same joke Jeff B has made in 2 dozen places and everyone is acting like it's a clever thing no one else has thought of.

It's not even been a week and it's already the worst.

I'm very glad that I hopped into Undertale when Austin wrote about it, rather than waiting until the hype reached critical mass. I think the fandom would have turned me off from ever playing the game.

yami4ct

I'm very glad that I hopped into Undertale when Austin wrote about it, rather than waiting until the hype reached critical mass. I think the fandom would have turned me off from ever playing the game.

I had an Undertale fan track me down on twitter and told me to kill myself because I said I didn't like the dodge minigame in the GB GOTY thread.

I've shit on a lot of games and that's the only time that's happened. Aspects of that community sure are something. It was both a bit disturbing and hilarious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Witness, Devil Daggers, Firewatch, and SUPERHOT are all fantastic and a great way to start 2016.

Think you're missing something
2825570-cbcrbqwwaaeh0hh.jpg

Firewatch is garbage

Fantastapotamus

Funnily enough, I feel the same about the Souls games now. I like the games well enough but man....

I cringe when I see your avatar

Not gonna lie

People ask why I hate Undertale. I WEAR A SANS AVATAR BECAUSE I'M UNIQUE AND QUIRKY JUST LIKE HE *cringe*

Are you that determined? Hehehe

I wonder if any of the duders will check out Grim Dawn. It feels like it's been just long enough since I played a lot of Diablo 3 that I can enjoy it a bunch. Doesn't hurt that it's from the Titan Quest people.

I forget where I saw it, but someone said "In a few months when people ask 'What is Firewatch?', just respond to them with 'Firewatch is okay.'" and that's the most accurate opinion of firewatch I've ever read.

I wonder if any of the duders will check out Grim Dawn. It feels like it's been just long enough since I played a lot of Diablo 3 that I can enjoy it a bunch. Doesn't hurt that it's from the Titan Quest people.

Titan Quest was such an amazing game but I haven't bitten on GD yet. TQ was like if someone addressed everything about Diablo 2 that bothered me and made a game out of it. still the best skill tree system in an ARPG imo. you could make some hilariously broken shit by combining trees.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Speaking of arpgs, been trying to nail down something that's been bothering me about dragon's dogma, and I think I've got it.

It feels like a clockwork world where someone forgot to add the clock hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom