• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Note, Code Geass and Attack on Titan are all very similar in a key way.

They are awful shows that non-anime fans will tell you are great. One Punch Man also comes really close to fitting in that category, but it's not quite that bad.

Attack on Titan is bad because there isn't an end planned.

Code Geass is bad because people thought it was like Death Note.

Death Note is good because not only was it planned, but it finishes in a fulfilling way.

Also, if liking Death Note makes me a non-anime fan, then I consider that a positive.

demidar

It always triggered me of people saying Code Geass was like Death Note.

No, you foolish mortals, nothing is like Death Note. I still haven't seen Code Geass to this day because it's garbage.

Season 1 of Geass was nice. Season 2 of Geass is something that doesn't exist >_>

yami4ct

Attack on Titan is bad because there isn't an end planned.

Code Geass is bad because people thought it was like Death Note.

Death Note is good because not only was it planned, but it finishes in a fulfilling way.

Also, if liking Death Note makes me a non-anime fan, then I consider that a positive.

Attack on Titan is bad not because of a lack of planning, but because the author has no fucking clue how to write. He's terrible. The pacing is bad, the plotting is bad, the characters are bad. It's just an awful mess.

Death Note is also just poorly written all around. It's not even a fun cat and mouse game. It's just a boring, melodramatic mess of following a dumbass asshole that the manga wants you to believe is actually a super brilliant dude.

I wouldn't say liking Death Note makes you a non-anime fan. It's just one of those shows that non-anime people will run around screaming about how great it is.

is he as fun to watch playing hearthstone as he is playing souls games?

I like watching Jeff playing Hearthstone, but I have some idea how to play Hearthstone. That helps a lot I think. He is good at the game so there is no funny moments where you see him get totally murdered. He still gets a bunch of jokes in there when he can, and talks about interesting stuff with the chat.

I think he can make any game interestingg tbh. He played Plants vs Zombies GW2 a few days ago, and went on a random rant at children out of the blue when was great.

yami4ct

except one punch man is actually good even as an anime fan

Literally the only good thing about OPM is the art. It's too bad Murata has to waste his time on that monstrosity.

If you want to actually get good anime satire, Gintama already exists and blows away OPM on every conceivable level.

It's one of the few games I would aimlessly play even after beating it. It's the best game for me personally as far as the 'make your own goals and feel really good about achieving them on the fly' games. Very relaxing too.

It really captures the spirit of skateboarding.

"Man, that looks like a cool spot. Wonder if I can pull off some dope shit on it."

Then you spend fifteen minutes trying to land something cool and it feels great.

oh also stop talking about anime (again [again])

daydream

Banned
Literally the only good thing about OPM is the art. It's too bad Murata has to waste his time on that monstrosity.

If you want to actually get good anime satire, Gintama already exists and blows away OPM on every conceivable level.

the art and the humour in the first half

but yeah, anyone who argues that opm is more than a fun distraction is cray

yami4ct

I wouldn't even say OPM is that funny in the first half. It's half clever, but I've seen the same jokes executed better elsewhere.

It's a webcomic adaptation with a budget and it feels that way in the worst way possible. I can see getting a little bit of fun out of it here and there, but the amount of hype it gets is insanity.

oh yeah no, it's not anime of the year or anything but at least it was something to look forward to each week

I guess now I have Iron Blooded Orphans but the quality from episode to episode just feels so sporadic. What was the other Gundam series that recently started, with the pilot who plays drums? Gundam Thunderbolt or something like that?

yami4ct

oh yeah no, it's not anime of the year or anything but at least it was something to look forward to each week

I guess now I have Iron Blooded Orphans but the quality from episode to episode just feels so sporadic. What was the other Gundam series that recently started, with the pilot who plays drums? Gundam Thunderbolt or something like that?

You're thinking Thunderbolt. It's not a series, but a set of short web animations. There will be 6 (I think?) episodes released 1 every month or so. For some reason, Sunrise hasn't streamed Episode 2 for English territories. I'm guessing they're waiting until they're done so they can package them into a single premium rental stream? I dunno why, but it sucks.

Haunted

I've watched some Grim Dawn footage and it looks very much like Path of Exile in terms of speed, animations, scale (as in, relative size of elements on the screen). Very similar.

I cringe when I see your avatar

Not gonna lie

People ask why I hate Undertale. I WEAR A SANS AVATAR BECAUSE I'M UNIQUE AND QUIRKY JUST LIKE HE *cringe*
That seems like projection.

People are allowed to have game characters they like as their profile picture.

daydream

Banned
real talk, though: more ping pongs is what the art form needs. visually bold, creatively rich, motivically complex and intelligent projects, not the umpteenth gundam season

Attack on Titan is bad not because of a lack of planning, but because the author has no fucking clue how to write. He's terrible. The pacing is bad, the plotting is bad, the characters are bad. It's just an awful mess.

Death Note is also just poorly written all around. It's not even a fun cat and mouse game. It's just a boring, melodramatic mess of following a dumbass asshole that the manga wants you to believe is actually a super brilliant dude.

I wouldn't say liking Death Note makes you a non-anime fan. It's just one of those shows that non-anime people will run around screaming about how great it is.

Death Note is greatly written. Better written than 90% of anime out there.

I've watched some Grim Dawn footage and it looks very much like Path of Exile in terms of speed, animations, scale (as in, relative size of elements on the screen). Very similar.

That seems like projection.

People are allowed to have game characters they like as their profile picture.

I'm not saying people can't have the avatar.

Houndi101

Death Note first season was great but the second one just seemed like generic filler anime bullshot? I'm probably wrong and I actually stopped the season midway through (in 2008)

yami4ct

Death Note is greatly written. Better written than 90% of anime out there.

Most anime is garbage written for pre-teens, so being better than 90% isn't really a calling card for quality. There's like a good 4-8 series a year that are actually worth watching.

I also think saying it's better than 90% is a little too high an estimate given how poorly DN is written.

Death Note first season was great but the second one just seemed like generic filler anime bullshot? I'm probably wrong and I actually stopped the season midway through (in 2008)

First half is semi-watchable because L is a compelling character and his back and forth with Light is semi-interesting.

Second half is a mess that the writer barely knows how to control. There's nothing redeeming there. Just because
Light gets his just deserts in the end
doesn't make how we got there acceptable or well written.

Most anime is garbage written for pre-teens, so being better than 90% isn't really a calling card for quality. There's like a good 4-8 series a year that are actually worth watching.

I also think saying it's better than 90% is a little too high an estimate given how poorly DN is written.

First half is semi-watchable because L is a compelling character and his back and forth with Light is semi-interesting.

Second half is a mess that the writer barely knows how to control. There's nothing redeeming there. Just because
Light gets his just deserts in the end
doesn't make how we got there acceptable or well written.

Real talk. people only hate the 2nd season because L
died.
That's the only reason they hate it. It's not badly written, it's not forced, it's just people not being able to come to terms that the good guy didn't won. That's all. There is no argument against the 2nd part that doesn't boil down to 'But L is gone! That's why it's bad!'.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Press X to Punch the camel'
conan.gif

yami4ct

Real talk. people only hate the 2nd season because L
died.
That's the only reason they hate it. It's not badly written, it's not forced, it's just people not being able to come to terms that the good guy didn't won. That's all. There is no argument against the 2nd part that doesn't boil down to 'But L is gone! That's why it's bad!'.

Nah. People just realized it was always badly written and contrived, but the only reason they found it compelling was that L was a cool character.

It's not the reader's fault that Ohba is a poor writer. It just took them a while to figure it out because he created a pretty cool gimmick in L.

The only thing I will legit give DN credit for is Obata's art. He's a legit awesome artist. The moments where he breaks out his hyper detailed gothic style are over the top melodrama, but they work. They really help cover the messy writing underneath.

real talk, though: more ping pongs is what the art form needs. visually bold, creatively rich, motivically complex and intelligent projects, not the umpteenth gundam season

Sadly you can't sell all that hot merch with something as like ping pong, and that's where the real money is at in anime.

yami4ct

We seem to get a couple of really cool projects like that a year, and for that I'm happy. I'll take the silly and standard Gundams and such and I can have fun with it, but the anime I totally fall in love with are the inventive series like Noragami, Mushi Shi, Erased, stuff like that.

Gundam is also pretty continually reinventing itself. IBO is really trying to do something different with the franchise, and while I don't think it's completely successful, I don't think it's really fair to call it out in terms of anime stagnation. The shit that really needs to get put upon is crap like Fairy Tale, Torriko, Monster Musume, the umpteenth moe idol show, etc.

Anybody here seen The Knick or Man in the High Castle? Want to start a new show up tonights. Or anything other recommendations?

I watched the first 4-5 episodes of Man in the High Castle. I don't think it really delivers on its interesting premise.

AcridMeat

Banned
Is the 360 too recent to do a Bombastica? I've heard people talk about Rockstar Table Tennis enough the last 6 months that I want to see a new video of it.
shirtless Jeff Green running in to Hulk's theme is too beautiful
Yes! I bumped into him before the panel, and I asked him why he wasn't taking part and he just smiled and said just wait.
I actually don't remember what he said.

daydream

Banned
We seem to get a couple of really cool projects like that a year, and for that I'm happy. I'll take the silly and standard Gundams and such and I can have fun with it, but the anime I totally fall in love with are the inventive series like Noragami, Mushi Shi, Erased, etc.

shame that all of those have a sci-fi or fantasy/japanese mythology type of conceit (as far as i can tell). i mean, you can make that work but only very few works manage to transcend those genre borders to reach something of actual substance. and like in video games, it's become a tired staple of the industry at this point

honestly, the next anime show of worth will probably be the inevitable punpun adaptation

Is the 360 too recent to do a Bombastica? I've heard people talk about Rockstar Table Tennis enough the last 6 months that I want to see a new video of it.
Yes! I bumped into him before the panel, and I asked him why he wasn't taking part and he just smiled and said just wait.
I actually don't remember what he said.

did you ever watch this? Probably. But would like to see them do "recent" stuff.
http://qlcrew.com/?video=7675&seek=7490

yami4ct

shame that all of those have a sci-fi or fantasy/japanese mythology type of conceit (as far as i can tell). i mean, you can make that work but only very few works manage to transcend the genre borders to reach something of actual substance

honestly, the next anime show of worth will probably be the inevitable punpun adaptation

I don't think something needs to completely transcend boundaries to be considered something of substance. Mushi Shi works within some ideas of Japanese mythology and spirituality (but also, it kind isn't really about any of that), and it still one of the deepest and most interesting series I've seen in a long time.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are no truly unique ideas left. Just because something is just a really good spin on a particular genre with a couple new ideas doesn't mean it needs to be dismissed. For example, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 is going to just be a spin on the same shonen action we've seen over and over, but it is possibly the best example of that around and the unique style and tone definitely add something and make it worth paying attention to.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
shame that all of those have a sci-fi or fantasy/japanese mythology type of conceit (as far as i can tell). i mean, you can make that work but only very few works manage to transcend those genre borders to reach something of actual substance. and like in video games, it's become a tired staple of the industry at this point

I wonder if animegaf can handle the sheer nihilism of it after their constant diet of idol and shonen.

Which to be fair are both arguably a form of nihilism.

Jintor

even if all opm has going for it is the art (which I don't think is true, but I wouldn't say it has any other standout strengths beside it), that's really enough man because god damn it's fakkan sick brah

yami4ct

even if all opm has going for it is the art (which I don't think is true, but I wouldn't say it has any other standout strengths beside it), that's really enough man because god damn it's fakkan sick brah

You're part of the problem. Murata deserves better than a bland webcomic adaptation.

#FreeMurata #EvenEyeshield21wasBetterThanBeingStuckOnThis

daydream

Banned
I don't think something needs to completely transcend boundaries to be considered something of substance. Mushi Shi works within some ideas of Japanese mythology and spirituality (but also, it kind isn't really about any of that), and it still one of the deepest and most interesting series I've seen in a long time.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are no truly unique ideas left. Just because something is just a really good spin on a particular genre with a couple new ideas doesn't mean it needs to be dismissed.

of course. but take love triangles, for example. they're thousands of years old as a motif and are still as relevant as ever, with a virtually endless pool of new nuances, angles, wrinkles to discover. novelty is not at all my point, rather the opposite. anime (and games) needs to stop skirting around the mundane, trying to one-up itself with even more outlandish scenarios and crazy set-ups, as unique as they might be. it can do that but it shouldn't lose sight of the exemplary, the universal

This may be the first GBanimeGAF conversation I've seen that I have to stop myself from joining. Too many "I can't" moments.

There have been eight GB reviews already this year. Boy howdy that sure is a number.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This may be the first GBanimeGAF conversation I've seen that I have to stop myself from joining. Too many "I can't" moments.

There have been eight GB reviews already this year. Boy howdy that sure is a number.

Like too low or more than usual?

I can't tell anymore.

yami4ct

of course. but take love triangles, for example. they're thousands of years old as a motif and are still as relevant as ever, with a virtually endless pool of new nuances, angles, wrinkles to discover. novelty is not at all my point, rather the opposite. anime (and games) needs to stop skirting around the mundane, trying to one-up itself with even more outlandish scenarios and crazy set-ups, as unique as they might be. it can do that but it shouldn't lose sight of the exemplary, the universal

I think it's OK to have both. It's fine to ask for more of the weird and creative stuff, but on the same token, you don't need to tare down the familiar just because others play it less safe. It is sometimes enough to just be an exemplarily work of the form.

To use an American TV example, just because Hannibal exists doesn't mean you can't appreciate something like Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Not everything can be the extreme artsy and creative end of the spectrum. Asking for a whole medium to shift even though many stories are told within it seems like an extreme idea.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's funny, for as much as the industry has moved away from traditional reviews, it's kind of awesome there's been so many on the site this year. I ended up buying PvZ Garden Warfare 2 tonight, and part of it was seeing that Brad actually posted a review for it. Didn't expect that at all after seeing the QL.

I couldn't resist, I really liked the first game.

Giantbomb has such inconsistent review schedules that it all just runs together in my mind if that makes any sense.

It's really more "oh hey it's a review!" than "well they're meeting the review quota they need to this month." Didn't the back half of 2015 have almost nothing reviewed? There was that weird period of time after Gat Out Of Hell was reviewed where there was just nothing.

Meneses

Code Geass is great.

Undertale superfans are the worst (the game is kinda neat, that community really does it a disservice of pushing people away).

SuperHot seems alright but doesn't really make me want to play it.

Stardew Valley is awesome and i'm usually not even a fan of that style of game.

Ok, I think that covers most of what was discussed in the last few pages.

Myggen

It's really more "oh hey it's a review!" than "well they're meeting the review quota they need to this month." Didn't the back half of 2015 have almost nothing reviewed? There was that weird period of time after Gat Out Of Hell was reviewed where there was just nothing.

Yeah, Jeff said recently that he doesn't really assign reviews, people just more or less review what they're interested in.

daydream

Banned
I think it's OK to have both. It's fine to ask for more of the weird and creative stuff, but on the same token, you don't need to tare down the familiar just because others play it less safe. It is sometimes enough to just be an exemplarily work of the form.

To use an American TV example, just because Hannibal exists doesn't mean you can't appreciate something like Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Not everything can be the extreme artsy and creative end of the spectrum. Asking for a whole medium to shift even though many stories are told within it seems like an extreme idea.

re: bolded - i said genre, not form. and i only partially agree. some genres just have diminishing returns as long as a work of art adheres religiously to its conventions

the gundam example i expressed in a joking manner - they can continue making gundam seasons till the end of time. i'm not actually asking for less of that, just for more worthwhile efforts

yami4ct

re: bolded - i said genre, not form. and i only partially agree. some genres just have diminishing returns as long as a work of art adheres religiously to its conventions

the gundam example i expressed in a joking manner - they can continue making gundam seasons till the end of time. i'm not actually asking for less of that, just for more worthwhile efforts

I pretty much agree with you, but maybe at a less extreme. I want more weird and inventive stuff like Mushishi, Ping Pong, and From the New World.

But, at the same time, we get that often enough that I can fill the meantime with just really good genre stuff I enjoy like My Hero Academia, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, Ushio and Tora, Blue Exorcist and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom