• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
You joke, but I just played Trine 3 since it's in the latest Humble Bundle and there is ENTIRE level dedicated to a "The cake is a lie" joke.
You chase a cake it till the end of the level. Then it disappears and all the characters shout "The cake is a lie" I'm not making this up.
I had to look up when Trine 3 was released and it was August 20th 2015.
2015!
...Christ.
I wonder if any of the duders will check out Grim Dawn. It feels like it's been just long enough since I played a lot of Diablo 3 that I can enjoy it a bunch. Doesn't hurt that it's from the Titan Quest people.
I've struggled to get into it, it just feels really slow. I might try a different class and see if that helps make it more enjoyable.

Titan Quest was such an amazing game but I haven't bitten on GD yet. TQ was like if someone addressed everything about Diablo 2 that bothered me and made a game out of it. still the best skill tree system in an ARPG imo. you could make some hilariously broken shit by combining trees.

I definitely feel like that's the case in Grim Dawn. Having the ability to dual class is very hard to balance. I'm running around with a bunch of pets from the Shaman and Occultist class and they mess up fools, I don't even have to attack. I've reached clicker game status where I don't even have to click.

I've struggled to get into it, it just feels really slow. I might try a different class and see if that helps make it more enjoyable.

The first hour or two was pretty slow until I started getting drawn into the devotion stuff and I found a gun that spawns a life stealing pentagram under enemies.

I definitely feel like that's the case in Grim Dawn. Having the ability to dual class is very hard to balance. I'm running around with a bunch of pets from the Shaman and Occultist class and they mess up fools, I don't even have to attack. I've reached clicker game status where I don't even have to click.

yup exactly. you're kind of selling me on it here.

ARPGs are at their best when you're essentially a walking demigod slaughtering everything in sight. So that sounds perfect.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Grim Dawn is great, it can feel a little slow to start but once you pick up some momentum with your chosen class it's pretty dope. I need to get back into it, I backed it on Kickstarter, gosh, that must've been like 4 years ago? Haven't played much of it since the Alpha first came out and it was just act 1.

valeo

I feel like D3 has killed any other ARPG for me.

Completely hated the story and everything else in the game, but the skill system in D3 is superb. The one thing Jay Wilson got right.

Titan Quest holds up? I've got it in Steam, I kind of want to give it a try

I haven't played it in a year or two but it still played fine last time I played it. Make sure if you play it though that you're playing Immortal Throne and not vanilla TQ. Immortal Throne is a big improvement. If i'm not mistaken, they patched it a few days ago with renderer improvements and porting multiplayer off GameSpy

I feel like D3 has killed any other ARPG for me.

Completely hated the story and everything else in the game, but the skill system in D3 is superb. The one thing Jay Wilson got right.

Diablo 3 has the best moment-to-moment combat in the genre, hands down. That Blizzard polish shines through. I feel the skills are pretty restrictive though. You have build options but you can't go super wacky with builds like in other ARPGs.

Diablo 3 has the best moment-to-moment combat in the genre, hands down. That Blizzard polish shines through. I feel the skills are pretty restrictive though. You have build options but you can't go super wacky with builds like in other ARPGs.

exactly. it's real hard to beat them at their own game on a production values level. but sometimes (most of the time) in RPGs I want to be hilariously overpowered and they do a lot to prevent that from happening in D3

e: huh, I didn't know Vinny was responsible for the intro stinger

http://jeff.zone/post/140170274256/this-has-been-bothering-me-for-awhile-where-is

Strax

I feel like Death Note is to anime what Immortal Technique was to hip hop in the early to mid 2000's. Until then, all you've seen/heard was the mainstream stuff, but then you're introduced to a slightly more obscure show/rapper and you're like "Holy shit, this is amazing!" and then you go to all your friends and are all like "You've gotta check out Death Note/You've gotta listen to Dance With the Devil!" over and over just annoying the shit out of them and then a year later you finally start delving deeper and find all this great stuff and realize "Huh, Death Note/Immortal Technique really isn't that good."

This is 100% on point.

Jintor

I think I've hit the depressive self contemplation part of my mood cycle again. goddamnit.

hopefully project beast will cheer me up somehow

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tim Turi wasn't kidding about the Tallarico influence on Electric Playgroudn. They go to talk about a F1 game and instead talk about Steve Vai and Joe Satriani(who are listed as 'Guitar God')

They made a Death Note video game? On the DS as well? What the hell is that even like? I need to know.

I may need to track this down.
Three of them. The first two are board games, and the third is an L-focused prequel visual novel with escape room puzzles. The only one I've played a bit of in the past was the first one, Kira Game. It was in the vein of Werewolf/Mafia/Avalon, where one player was Kira, another was L, the rest were investigators, with the objective being to identify which player was Kira/L before being arrested/killed. I remember it seeming pretty underwhelming, as it didn't support online multiplayer, and local multiplayer required multiple carts (No download play, only 2 players).

hamchan

Three of them. The first two are board games, and the third is an L-focused prequel visual novel with escape room puzzles. The only one I've played a bit of in the past was the first one, Kira Game. It was in the vein of Werewolf/Mafia/Avalon, where one player was Kira, another was L, the rest were investigators, with the objective being to identify which player was Kira/L before being arrested/killed. I remember it seeming pretty underwhelming, as it didn't support online multiplayer, and local multiplayer required multiple carts (No download play, only 2 players).

That's disappointing. A Death Note game would have been more fun to be like a dating sim with persona 4 social links except you don't date them at the end. Instead you find out their real name and at the end of their route you write their name down on the touchscreen and kill them.

JCG

Death Note has already become popular enough that there is plenty of accumulated hype backlash to go around, not all of it undeserved, but I would say the show still remains watchable and has its moments where the formula works. It's not the best thing in the world or anything. Just a good distraction. Don't think too much about it. Same goes for Code Geass too, except it's less mainstream and more of an over-the-top anime in comparison. In short, even though the upcoming DN movie is apparently going to be R-rated, the target audience for the manga/anime was never supposed to be dudes in their 20s or 30s with a low tolerance for nonsense who would attempt to dissect anything crazy or unrealistic.

I bought Pokemon Yellow and named my rival Shkreli. I thought I was a unique flower, but then I saw the same joke on Twitter.

I think I've hit the depressive self contemplation part of my mood cycle again. goddamnit.

hopefully project beast will cheer me up somehow

Tuesdays frequently fill me with existential dread, so I like that new media usually comes out on that day. Voracious conspicuous consumption is an excellent way to distract oneself from the inevitability of death.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Tim Turi wasn't kidding about the Tallarico influence on Electric Playgroudn. They go to talk about a F1 game and instead talk about Steve Vai and Joe Satriani(who are listed as 'Guitar God')

I think that's part of Steve Vai's rider for any TV appearance. He actually carries around his own lower third with "Steve Vai: Guitar God" printed on it in case the production isn't ready to meet his demands.

Jintor

Wait, did something happen to jeff green?

he streams mostly at terrible times for me is all

also he was playing bloodbourne, and i still idly kind of want to play bloodbourne if a ps4 ever becomes affordable, so that's like a year and a half of stuff i can't really watch

Not at all. Not even the fault of the fans even. If anything it's my fault.

You joke, but I just played Trine 3 since it's in the latest Humble Bundle and there is ENTIRE level dedicated to a "The cake is a lie" joke.
You chase a cake it till the end of the level. Then it disappears and all the characters shout "The cake is a lie" I'm not making this up.
I had to look up when Trine 3 was released and it was August 20th 2015.
2015!

UUUUGGHHH, Im glad I dropped it before that.

Seriously, even for $2.89 that's too much money for that.

yami4ct

Death Note has already become popular enough that there is plenty of accumulated hype backlash to go around, not all of it undeserved, but I would say the show still remains watchable and has its moments where the formula works. It's not the best thing in the world or anything. Just a good distraction. Don't think too much about it. Same goes for Code Geass too, except it's less mainstream and more of an over-the-top anime in comparison. In short, even though the upcoming DN movie is apparently going to be R-rated, the target audience for the manga/anime was never supposed to be dudes in their 20s or 30s with a low tolerance for nonsense who would attempt to dissect anything crazy or unrealistic.

I caught both Death Note and Code Geass early on before they became weirdly venerated in the anime community. I thought both were awful then, so my opionon is uncolored by so called 'hype backlash'.

Death Note has good art and some good ideas and a single cool character, but that doesn't save an otherwise terrible series. There is nothing good to say about CG except maybe that the mech design is nice on occasion.

Huh. That's actually a semi-clever way to do a DN game.

Hasn't jeff green been streaming bloodborne for like..... 8 months?

11 months according to Youtube but a long 4 month gap in there due to back pain issues, and also random week long gaps where he was forced into doing work stuff. He seem like he wants to get it over and done with soon now though.

You guys, we throw this word around a lot but Hotline Miami 2 is a really bad video game.

HM2 is Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. It is a big f-you right from the get go, and no build up the the awesome.

I found it was best to play both games back to back to get any worth out of HM2. It offers nothing as a singular game.

I caught both Death Note and Code Geass early on before they became weirdly venerated in the anime community. I thought both were awful then, so my opionon is uncolored by so called 'hype backlash'.

Death Note has good art and some good ideas and a single cool character, but that doesn't save an otherwise terrible series. There is nothing good to say about CG except maybe that the mech design is nice on occasion.

Huh. That's actually a semi-clever way to do a DN game.

It always triggered me of people saying Code Geass was like Death Note.

No, you foolish mortals, nothing is like Death Note. I still haven't seen Code Geass to this day because it's garbage.

yami4ct

It always triggered me of people saying Code Geass was like Death Note.

No, you foolish mortals, nothing is like Death Note. I still haven't seen Code Geass to this day because it's garbage.

Death Note, Code Geass and Attack on Titan are all very similar in a key way.

They are awful shows that non-anime fans will tell you are great. One Punch Man also comes really close to fitting in that category, but it's not quite that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom