• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

neshcom

Banned
My takeaway from the Dan segment this week wasn't that it was bad, but that having a YouTube video be a UPF segment kind of sucks. Feels like they've gone there more recently and it's really disengaging.
What saved it this week was the story, around the video, but it also opened the door to the one-note crap audio clip.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My takeaway from the Dan segment this week wasn't that it was bad, but that having a YouTube video be a UPF segment kind of sucks. Feels like they've gone there more recently and it's really disengaging.
What saved it this week was the story, around the video, but it also opened the door to the one-note crap audio clip.

Dude.
The best UPF moment in months was a video segment like 2 weeks ago with Tim Turi.

TraBuch

Banned
I think GB should just change their site entirely and only do commentary over video. More Game Tapes. More Electric Playground. More Demo Derby, the non-gameplay parts.

Hire the Sklar Brothers and turn this shit into Cheap Seats for games.

Zekes!

I wonder what the shirt situation was like for Hulk Hogan since he was constantly ripping them.

I gotta imagine it was like a bulk order thing

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, that's the extent of the prank people were freaking out about?

Sounds just like 2 college dudes doing something dumb to fool a forum without any awareness outside of that.

People here make it sound like he's maliciously trying to sink harmonix.

Gurrry

personally, i like them doing stuff like this over random games most of the time. i think its alot more engaging, but to each their own.

dan worked himself into a shoot. thats vintage ryckert.

Zekes!

Wait, that's the extent of the prank people were freaking out about?

Sounds just like 2 college dudes doing something dumb to fool a forum without any awareness outside of that.

People here make it sound like he's maliciously trying to sink harmonix.

I mean, I definitely feel bad for the Harmonix guys having to deal with the blowback of the whole thing

but damn if it wasn't brilliant. When Dan was showing the video I thought to myself "this is it? This is really stupid" but then when he started tabbing over to the different websites who ran the story...I just had to start laughing out loud really hard

Antiwhippy

Like I'm actually amazed it even went that far.

Though knowing music internet "journalism" back then I probably shouldn't be.

FStop7

Banned
It's so weird that the Drake/Dan thing was a total microcosm of the Hogan/Gawker thing.

"IT'S JUST PRANKS BRO" hits a hard-as-fuck wall, eventually.

Antiwhippy

Well yeah, if you want to go that broad you can make that an analogy for anything.

Gawker was directly involving hogan by releasing his sex video.

Dan made a prank for a bunch of GNR obsessives during the height of Chinese democracy hype where it didn't even seem like he even intended for it to go that far.

Don't get me wrong, both are super dumb, but one is clearly malicious while the other isn't.

hamchan

My takeaway is that Dan's pranks and Tim Turi's YouTube parts have been the best UPF content in a while, and that the down parts these days happen more often when they actually play games.

It's so weird that the Drake/Dan thing was a total microcosm of the Hogan/Gawker thing.

Bit of a leap there. The Hogan/Gawker thing is an invasion of privacy. Dan's prank is just him and his friend telling lies on the Internet.

Antiwhippy

Now I can accept that analogy if dan released a drake sex video where he spouts slurs against diet coke.

"I WAS A PEPSI MAX MAN ALL ALONG!"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
They should replace UPF with Flight Club 2.0 what's Dave doing? Probably Dave things.

Lunar FC

I can only handle so much of GB making snarky comments over video.

Edit: I do enjoy Gerstmann spouting facts about games nobody else even remembers existed doe.

yami4ct

I agree that the Dan 'prank' was a shitty thing to do (He didn't intend it to be shitty, but it was), comparing it to the shithole that is Gawker is like a billion steps too far.

Antiwhippy

I turn on the lights in my house everyday, a dumb thing to do because it leads to the consequences of global warming.

Now we're all fucked.

I am the gawker of global warming.

yami4ct

I turn on the lights in my house everyday, a dumb thing to do because it leads to the consequences of global warming.

Now we're all fucked.

I am the gawker of global warming.

I've murdered Kaze in about 100 stupid ways in Fire Emblem Conquest Chapter 12.

Clearly I'm the Gawker of ninja commanders.

FStop7

Banned
Well yeah, if you want to go that broad you can make that an analogy for anything.

Gawker was directly involving hogan by releasing his sex video.

Dan made a prank for a bunch of GNR obsessives during the height of Chinese democracy hype where it didn't even seem like he even intended for it to go that far.

Don't get me wrong, both are super dumb, but one is clearly malicious while the other isn't.

And that's sort of Dan's saving grace, isn't it? His lack of malice. And it's served him well and I truly believe he is a very nice person. But it doesn't change the fact that even if Drake was playing it up for the camera that there was some harm. Not only financial, but also to reputations and credibility. He also pointed out that it affected Dan's own reputation and credibility. Drake is a very smart and well-spoken person, Ivy League educated, etc. He made his point very kindly, in a way that reflects that he's moved past it and can joke about it, but the point still had some edge.

Antiwhippy

And that's sort of Dan's saving grace, isn't it? His lack of malice. And it's served him well and I truly believe he is a very nice person. But it doesn't change the fact that even if Drake was playing it up for the camera that there was some harm. Not financial, but also to reputations and credibility. He also pointed out that it affected Dan's own reputation and credibility. Drake is a very smart and well-spoken person, Ivy League educated, etc. He made his point very kindly, in a way that reflects that he's moved past it and can joke about it, but the point still had some edge.

Hey don't get me wrong, while I found it pretty funny I agree that it was probably a real shitty situation that harmonix got in and Dan was lucky that everyone made it out relatively ok so that he can still joke with someone who had to deal with it. The gawker thing just seemed like a bit of a stretch.

Like that's the one thing I'm almost always amazed about dan, is that the things he do seem to blow up in ridiculous ways for whatever reason when he didn't even intended for it to blow up.

jgminto

The most recent Beastcast is so much worse without Austin. It's just not the same without the occasional high pitched "VINNY!".

Jintor

man i can't decide if hitdan: brad money or vinman: beast money would be more entertaining

actually, they should just do dueling time trials on hitman levels.

Tubobutts

I'm only just now catching up on UPF and god damn would I fund a Watch John Drake Destroy Dan Ryckert Kickstarter. Holy shit.
The way Dan's life works it would very quickly turn into a Watch John Drake Destroy Himself While Dan Laughs And Wins The Lottery Or Something Kickstarter.

Haunted

Patrick joins g4, leaves and g4 is gone.

Patrick joins kotaku, leaves and gawker is gone.

Patrick joins giantbomb, and Dan joined after he leaves.

Patrick, destroying every website he joins.
You mean every website self-destructs after they Patrick leaves, they can't cope with the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom