• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

It sounds like after today, or maybe starting from today, the twitch streamers who got the game early are going to be under embargo until launch. Probably doesn't apply to the dudes who got it from the JP store though.
Streamers who got the PC version early were only allowed to stream the first 1/3 of the game. However once the xbox exploit became know most of them jumped on that version since they were under no kind of nda for it and already played the whole game on stream. And the pvp streamers have been streaming the entire japanese ps4 version since it has online. Such a messy launch

repeater

Dawn, Jeff has been brutal to traditional third person shooters this gen.

Poor Gears of War 4
I mean.. reality has kind of been brutal to traditional third person shooters this gen. The genre feels decidedly last-gen. I'm sure we'll see this reflected in the reception of Uncharted 4 and Gears 4 as well: even if they are as good as their best predecessors, they will get markedly lower scores and generate less enthusiasm, because the Zeitgeist has moved on.

This generation
it's all about clickers

Doop

Streamers who got the PC version early were only allowed to stream the first 1/3 of the game. However once the xbox exploit became know most of them jumped on that version since they were under no kind of nda for it and already played the whole game on stream. And the pvp streamers have been streaming the entire japanese ps4 version since it has online. Such a messy launch

Maaaan I don't want to be the person who says "why couldn't they just release it early". But boy I wish they didn't have this dumb staggered release.

Tubobutts

I'm torn on Dark Souls 3. I'm similar to Alex in that I like the art direction and the world building a whole lot so I would like to watch Giant Bomb play through it, but since I'm dead inside, I feel nothing when I beat a hard boss after dying a bunch. But since I have prime I could get it around release for a discount and be part of this zeitgeist everyone is always talking about, or spend no money and not get it because I probably still won't like it.

Teddified

Is it weird that I know that the International ed. and Japanese ed. of Dark Souls 3 are different and I don't follow or play the Dark Souls games? Yet both the beastcast and bombcast both think that the Japanese ed. is the international one and doesn't have internet enabled.

Woke up, checked the review, and laughed. Still a threat. And not really all that surprising based on the footage I've seen (though admittedly not played).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm torn on Dark Souls 3. I'm similar to Alex in that I like the art direction and the world building a whole lot so I would like to watch Giant Bomb play through it, but since I'm dead inside, I feel nothing when I beat a hard boss after dying a bunch. But since I have prime I could get it around release for a discount and be part of this zeitgeist everyone is always talking about, or spend no money and not get it because I probably still won't like it.

You should definitely conform to peer pressure in order to integrate yourself into an amorphous society, giving into humanity's tribalistic instinct, and finding comfort through the abandonment of individualism.

Is it weird that I know that the International ed. and Japanese ed. of Dark Souls 3 are different and I don't follow or play the Dark Souls games? Yet both the beastcast and bombcast both think that the Japanese ed. is the international one and doesn't have internet enabled.

I think it's because they aren't really following the game itself but are following the press releases and it makes it sound like the japanese version is the international version. I just don't think they realize the game version changes when they're doing that XBO region switch.

Beating the bosses isn't what keeps me going in those games. It's all about where you end up after beating the boss. Reaching Anor Londo is still one of the best gaming memories I have (especially from my adult life).

Bosses are pretty much a necessary evil on the way, I have no qualms about using summons to beat them. Though I prefer NPC summons over players.

Doop

Beating the bosses isn't what keeps me going in those games. It's all about where you end up after beating the boss. Reaching Anor Londo is still one of the best gaming memories I have (especially from my adult life).

That little music cue when the camera sweeps over Anor Londo is so good. Best Old Moment of the year.

Teddified

I think it's because they aren't really following the game itself but are following the press releases and it makes it sound like the japanese version is the international version. I just don't think they realize the game version changes when they're doing that XBO region switch.

Yeah probably, it's just the International thing that gets me, if there was just one version why would they need to call a version the International version.

Shit, and the next podcast I have is 8-4 and no doubt it will be a lot of DS3 talk.

Edit: Hmm, sounds like they're taking a break from Kerbal after this next one. Seems like a good idea for a while until they figure out some kind of mission to go after next. Excited to see what they do next.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This generation
it's all about clickers
Sadly, in the AAA space it's probably true. If it doesn't have drip feed rewards and RPG elements it's not getting made. The Skinner box gen. While I have no interest in QB, I'd like to see it succeed due to it being a traditional single player experience.

Can we switch leap day to April 1st so we only get one every so often? It's pretty played out at this point.

Yes please.

Also on the subject of DS3, anyone who previewed ahead of time find the bosses to be interesting? I've heard from a few friends that they're sort of boring compared to the stuff out of Bloodborne.

I thought the order was a solid 3/5 but then again I paid $20 for it months after release and went into it expecting a flaming pile of shit so it could only go up from there

The gameplay in Quantum Break looks much more engaging than that in The Order

It looks pretty generic to me.

The gun handling in Quantum Break is pretty underwhelming and the powers at your disposal don't feel as cool as they probably should. In some alternate timeline, this game has abilities that work together and chain off of each other, creating a more satisfying feeling of flow in combat. Instead it's simple cooldown management as each of your powers is just about as good as every other one at taking down one or two enemies at a time. Eventually you'll encounter enemies that aren't affected by those time powers, which means you'll have to fall back to the game's mundane shooting on its own.

They both seem like a response to Uncharted 1.

And that doesn't fly in 2015/2016.

No_Style

I actually enjoyed The Order: 1886 very much -- it was like the most expensive episodic adventure game ever made. I'm looking forward to the next episode which will likely never materialize :(

I actually enjoyed The Order: 1886 very much -- it was like the most expensive episodic adventure game ever made. I'm looking forward to the next episode which will likely never materialize :(

I did too and I'd likely find enjoyment out of Quantum Break but video games have moved on and games that get rated high on a review scale need to be offering more.

StoveOven

Banned
It looks pretty generic to me.

I've been reading a few reviews, and that seems to be somewhat of a minority opinion. I've seen a lot of people saying that the time abilities do a good job of keeping you moving and that you're actually more likely to die if you stick to cover than you are if you're using your time abilities to get up close to enemies and run around the battlefield.

Of I haven't played it, so I can't confirm whether or not that's true.

The gameplay in Quantum Break looks much more engaging than that in The Order

The power stuff alone is enough for me to want to play it. Plus people have compared it to Fringe which I love so i'm pretty much sold.

Also, I like how when a game people are hyped for comes out and it gets middling reviews the "you know, we shouldn't have review scores" comments start arriving. It's silly to get tied up in review scores. If a game appeals to you it appeals to you, don't get hung of up on validation from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom