• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, fuck me, I have no idea how to shop for computer monitors when I don't really care about any of the g-sync freesync stuff.

Mr. F

Banned
Ever up for more Bakalar I keep trying to give the 404 podcast a shot but man it's a tough listen, Russ Frushtick is a really irritating co-host.

TraBuch

Banned
Nakamura/Zayn was incredible.

AA/Revival was really, really good despite a really bad botch.

Asuka/Bayley was also really, really good. Asuka's amazing.

Balor/Joe was pretty good despite a bad finish and pacing problems due to blood. Finn Balor's boring.

Corbin/Aries was bad.

Zocano

Watching Vinny fight Gascoigne brings back memories. I've devoured Souls games and replay Demon's Souls all the time with silly challenge runs but Gascoigne took me forever and a half to beat on my first go around. Mostly because I just didn't use the gun, but that fight is *the* crash course for the game. You either learn the combat flow or you don't and seeing Vinny struggle is bringing me back. While he was really close early on, I feel like it's better for him (and for me to enjoy) him bash his head longer against Gascoigne so he *really* gets a feel for the combat, or rather how to effectively manipulate the combat system. I feel like most fights don't ask of you as much as the hunter fights and the hunter fights are the shining stars of the game (and one specific scythe-wielding flower field boss is the best fight in the series without a second thought). I feel like backing out of a solo fight against any of the hunters wastes opportunities to really stretch Bloodborne's combat since it rarely lets you *really* enjoy the speed and insanity of it.

Fuckin' hell. That one boss is so god damn good. Nothing compares.

Phionoxx

Watching Vinny fight Gascoigne brings back memories. I've devoured Souls games and replay Demon's Souls all the time with silly challenge runs but Gascoigne took me forever and a half to beat on my first go around. Mostly because I just didn't use the gun, but that fight is *the* crash course for the game. You either learn the combat flow or you don't and seeing Vinny struggle is bringing me back. While he was really close early on, I feel like it's better for him (and for me to enjoy) him bash his head longer against Gascoigne so he *really* gets a feel for the combat, or rather how to effectively manipulate the combat system. I feel like most fights don't ask of you as much as the hunter fights and the hunter fights are the shining stars of the game (and one specific scythe-wielding flower field boss is the best fight in the series without a second thought). I feel like backing out of a solo fight against any of the hunters wastes opportunities to really stretch Bloodborne's combat since it rarely lets you *really* enjoy the speed and insanity of it.

Fuckin' hell. That one boss is so god damn good. Nothing compares.

Yup. Father G is a real roadblock in getting through Bloodborne, and a great way for the game to ensure you have learned what it is going to take to proceed and be successful later on through knowing how to use the parry / riposte system, and playing more aggressive compared to the other Souls games. I too spent a long time trying to get past him, and the feeling of finally besting him was great. I think even on NG+ it took me 2 or 3 attempts to get past him.

jgminto

I wish more of the Bloodborne bosses were as challenging as Gascoigne. I had a tonne of fun Platinuming the game but basically all but one (Ebrietas specifically) of the bosses past him were a breeze, even when I went through the second time with max insight. Of course, you have a few of the late game chalice dungeon bosses which can be incredibly brutal but there's only about 2 or 3 of them and they're so late in the game.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
J9B1CGv.jpg

I need to stop playing this game -.-

yami4ct

I wish more of the Bloodborne bosses were as challenging as Gascoigne. I had a tonne of fun Platinuming the game but basically all but one (Ebrietas specifically) of the bosses past him were a breeze, even when I went through the second time with max insight. Of course, you have a few of the late game chalice dungeon bosses which can be incredibly brutal but there's only about 2 or 3 of them and they're so late in the game.

Yep. Gascoigne is a brilliant boss on so many levels. Not only is he challenging in a fun way, but he forces you to really learn the new mechanics of Bloodborne. Don't have dodging down? You'll get eating alive. Can't parry? You're going to have a hard time getting hits. Back dodge too much instead of circle strafe/forward lunge? You'll get caught up on the environment. They basically hand you all the skill tools you need for the rest of the game in that one fight.

Ebrietas and him are the only 2 bosses in Bloodborne that I like. They are both awesome on so many levels. It's sad that game is so easy.

And before people comment, it's not 'you got better at Souls games, so it's easier'. This is a new combat system and the amount of leeway the game and bosses gives straight up makes Bloodborne an easier game.

Yes.

I actually found Gascoine to be one of the easier bosses, but I chalk that up to really enjoying the "vs someone with your skills" boss battle that's always in character action games. The most infuriating part is getting stuck on those fucking tombstones.

Now if Vinny gets to Lady Maria I'll be really psyched to see what happens.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Miitomo seems like a thing that could be cool if I knew other people who...play? it.

It always tempts you though. Doesn't help that I have like 30 dollars on my Google wallet from those surveys.

That's how they get you. "Oh, I'll only buy ONE thing ONCE!" next thing you know you you are the best CR player in the world but can't charge your phone cause you couldn't pay the electricity bill. Or rent.

Zocano

And before people comment, it's not 'you got better at Souls games, so it's easier'. This is a new combat system and the amount of leeway the game and bosses gives straight up makes Bloodborne an easier game.

True, but that doesn't mean "easy" bosses are somehow bad. Since the game follows and keeps to the almost exclusive combat boss archetype, most of the bosses are actually really unique and varied in their movesets (aside from one or two). Vicar Amelia is wonderfully designed to make use of her large size and yet she's still mobile, dangerous, and most importantly hard to read. The DLC bosses are all wonderful with one exception.

And the final boss (the standard one, not the "secret" one). Jesus, I don't even know how you can praise Gascoigne and not bring him up. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are somewhat notorious for their lackluster endings and Bloodborne is quite possibly the best climactic duel they've ever put together. They made one single screw up which was make him too easy to parry (as they usually do).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yes.

I actually found Gascoine to be one of the easier bosses, but I chalk that up to really enjoying the "vs someone with your skills" boss battle that's always in character action games. The most infuriating part is getting stuck on those fucking tombstones.

Now if Vinny gets to Lady Maria I'll be really psyched to see what happens.

Same, I got through Gascoigne on the second run and I had never completed a Souls game before then. I think it is because he has a similar range of attacks to myself and therefore could plan accordingly.

Houndi101

Youtubes Patrick klepek should do some journalism about Dark Souls 3 to correct all these wrongs
who am I kidding I bet he's at Wrestlemania

ThomasCro

So, I'm pretty confused.

Isn't the Oculus supposed to be Full HD?

I heard Drew say that the lower quality of the headset visuals are detracting from the experience of racing games.

Is it really possible that all games will have lower quality visuals on the headset than what they are exporting to a monitor?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, I'm pretty confused.

I heard Drew say that the lower quality of the headset visuals are detracting from the experience of racing games.

Is it really possible that all games will have lower quality visuals on the headset than what they are exporting to a monitor?

Put your face directly up against your computer monitor.

Doesn't look too hot does it?

So, I'm pretty confused.

The resolution is pretty much at the sweet spot for the technology right now (1080x1200) but ultimately it will require something like 5K per eye to get the pixel density needed to match a typical monitor experience at a reasonable distance. That kind of resolution may be sooner than you'd think though once eye tracking is built into the headsets. Then they can take advantage of foveated rendering, (rendering what the eye is focused on in high quality and the rest at a lower quality).

So, I'm pretty confused.

There's going to be very noticeable pixellation for a few generations.

popo

Will got in bed with Mike Tatum? Project is fucked. Even for biz dev, dude is a liar.

I don't think I like Will...not sure I ever did, but his hipster attitude is annoying me like hell.

I bet you hate Norm Chan.

Even after appending the API key. It still doesn't work.

Im trying to download the new eps of MGS but instead it download a 11MB chuck of the DoA Xtreme Quick Look.

Download them manually until they fix it?

I'm guessing they are very intentionally not releasing video because outside of VR it's probably seems unimpressive, technically. I've seen nothing but screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom