• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

MGSV sure does not have a good story. Y'know what had a good story? MGS1-3.

I don't know how anyone who has played through the masterpiece that is MGS3 could say MGSV has a good story.

Y'know what also has a good story? The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. I just finished the first chapter.

Actually I've played through plenty of games in my life with good stories. MGSV ain't one of them.

MGSV kept gesturing vaugely toward an interesting story that it never really made an attempt to ever execute on, it's super frustrating. I really want a book about the making of that game because clearly something real fucked happened during development.
also i really want to know if at any point the MGSV isn't really MGS5 theory was true because that would've been unbelievably incredible

Chuck

Still without luck
There is probably only around 6 must watch eps.

Somebody needs to make like an hour long super cut.
The correct viewing order is 1-14, not watching the Scott Manley episode until after you finish the regular series. For your own sake.

oti

Banned
Kerbal haters?

I've seen enough of this game, I don't need a whole series plus multiple streams to get the point of Kerbal and I don't think it's that much fun to watch. If I wanted to waste some time and put on a mildly interesting stream as background noise I'd go to Twitch for that.

Y'know what also has a good story? The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. I just finished the first chapter.

Welcome to the party! If you enjoyed the first chapter, you're gonna have a blast with the stuff that comes up. That game gets better and better with each new chapter.

Myggen

I've seen enough of this game, I don't need a whole series plus multiple streams to get the point of Kerbal and I don't think it's that much fun to watch. If I wanted to waste some time and put on a mildly interesting stream as background noise I'd go to Twitch for that.

Isn`t this the first live stream of Project BEAST?

killroy87

I know this thread is not designed to dictate their content output, but put me firmly in the camp of "okay, enough with the Kerbal". It was fun at first, then got into "I'm watching this more to watch the duders than the game" territory, and is now firmly content I skip.

Clearly there is enough traffic and love for it to keep going, which is fine, but if there are only so many hours in a day to create content it pains me that so much of it goes to this.

#TeamKerbal
MGSV was an incredible game with a fine story. The only thing left unresolved was
Liquid stealing the Metal Gear
, but not everything needs to be spelled out perfectly. It is among my favorite games of all time.
Now that is a game with a disappointing story. I essentially gave up on the series after 2, but watching MGScanlon brought me back. I'm so glad I did. It's easily the best open world game I've every played.
I cut from a very different cloth then.

MGSV has some fantastic gameplay systems, and some great moments, but boy does it have a terrible narrative and poor plot.

I know this thread is not designed to dictate their content output, but put me firmly in the camp of "okay, enough with the Kerbal". It was fun at first, then got into "I'm watching this more to watch the duders than the game" territory, and is now firmly content I skip.

Clearly there is enough traffic and love for it to keep going, which is fine, but if there are only so many hours in a day to create content it pains me that so much of it goes to this.
But they are stopping, this stream is the last thing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how salty the BEAST crew will be when they see that Scott Manely didn't have to rescue that Kerbal from orbiting the Sun.

I have loved every bit of Project BEAST, so I'm a bit sad to see it ending. I can understand how some people might be bored with it, but I'm not! More space stuff is always great. Here's to hoping they build a space station and go to Duna!

Xiraiya

Listening to the latest Bombcast, the DOOM discussion is a real bummer.

But I have to say, it seems like Jeff often struggles with the "I don't know I guess this must be an old man thing and the old stuff can't be done in this day and age"

While it is true that it isn't easy to pull off in a way that feels correct.

That's ridiculous, don't be soft and settle for that.
I wholeheartedly believe you can always adapt old concepts for a modern era without losing the spirit of the way it use to be, it's always possible, it just isn't easy.

The Wolfenstein stuff for example, looked and felt pretty amazing and they made all that stuff work so well and seem so satisfying without really over complicating it or overdoing it, it's one of those experiences you can walk away feeling "I played a cool ass video game and I enjoyed it".

MGSV in all my hundreds of hours of playing played the way I remembered the PS2 MGS games playing, but better, evolved and refined, and I still like and can tolerate the way those games can play despite it being too clunky and unwieldy for some, but MGSV plays amazingly well, it's easily one of the best "playing" game of the generation, if not the best.

Then you have stuff like the Star Wars movie that feels like a weirdly smooth transition from the old ones but still and new fresh, whether it's your thing or not.

And you know, I don't know if those examples are necessarily the best ones or anything like that, they're just the first I can think of.

My point is that it's never impossible to capture the feel and spirit of the past in a new way and I honestly think it's incredibly narrow minded to assume it can't be done if someone is doing a bad job at it, game design just isn't that rigid, it can be as flexible as people let it be.

There are people out there that get stubborn and don't like new anything and I've thought a whole lot about my own perspective and my dislike between some newer things and so on and whether or not I'm also an "old man" being crazy or if I actually have a valid perspective that needs to be articulated better than "I want the old thing".

After seeing some of these things I eventually decided there is definitely still merit in old beloved video games and it wasn't always the standard of "This is cool because nothing better exists", sometimes it could be, but definitely not always, at least for me.

EDIT: I realize I must have jumped the gun as they eventually end up covering some of the stuff I mentioned, but it's still good to keep in mind.

oti

Banned
EAST needs a Mario Party Party of their own. And by that I don't mean literally Mario Party but some GB highlight that gets everybody excited. It must be really difficult to pull off for them given their circumstances but I hope they can do it eventually.

Guys I am mere hours away from finally being a virtual person. I have a big living room (for an apartment) that is now dedicated to room-scale VR. Just gotta move the couch!

NO

Yep, it's out for delivery! I got a Rift too, but who the hell knows what's going on with them.

After watching those 2 streams I'd put my money down for the Vive. Rift looks okay but at least I saw some Vive games that looked fun. If anything I'll wait for PSVR to come out and see if that's worth getting as I only have an older laptop for light Steam gaming.

Have fun!

kvk1

jesus christ was that WoW video almost two years ago

why do i feel like it was a month or two back at the most

jesus christ was that WoW video almost two years ago

why do i feel like it was a month or two back at the most

Because as you get older, time seems to speed up. I think it has to do with the volume of memories or something. For instance, 2006 still feels fresh in my mind. I remember getting my PS3 (10 YEARS AGO!) just weeks after launch. PS4 will be 3 years old later this year.

Project B.E.A.S.T Watches Project B.E.A.S.T Scott Manley Edition is live.

e:
qVdADSp.png

oti

Banned
I wish they did more series where each member tries something out of their comfort zone and checks back in once a week with it.

That sounds like a cool idea. I want to see someone who hates Mobas to try and play Dota 2 for instance. Or Jeff trying Hearthstone could be cool.

justjim89

Fucking shit, Merle Haggard died yesterday on his god damn birthday.

Why do I even look at Twitter.

I've been having to bust out the Epic Yarn QL way too much lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom